Question

Issues with embedded player

• 28 October 2015
  • 44 replies

Show first post

44 replies

Hi there you two,

Thanks for writing in about this and sorry for any confusion regarding this. I've looked into your cases in further detail, and it looks like you were using an older version of our embedded player - the one that was still powered through Flash.

We previously supported the ability to utilise the standard Flash (http://bit.ly/13PWdta) embed on SoundCloud. Now that html5 is more widely supported across the web and mobile devices, we've removed the Flash player from the platform completely.

In more general terms, the Flash format is not being developed any further by Adobe and is causing performance and security issues for many users. It is something that we have discussed with our product team and developers and decided that in order to offer the support and stability needed - it would be best to remove the player altogether.

You can of course still use the more recent embedded players available through the site.

I hope this helps to shed some light on this.

All the best,
Mathis

I understand why flash is no longer supported. The HTML player works well but takes up so much more space on a website than the old version. Before, website visitors could see 12 tracks cleanly on my website front page. Now they can see 4 tracks and a giant bar that says my name twice and "cookie policy". I would LOVE the clean, compact flash design back, or at the very least a way to remove the giant useless empty bar at the bottom of the player.

Hi there you two,

Thanks for writing in about this and sorry for any confusion regarding this. I've looked into your cases in further detail, and it looks like you were using an older version of our embedded player - the one that was still powered through Flash.

We previously supported the ability to utilise the standard Flash (http://bit.ly/13PWdta) embed on SoundCloud. Now that html5 is more widely supported across the web and mobile devices, we've removed the Flash player from the platform completely.

In more general terms, the Flash format is not being developed any further by Adobe and is causing performance and security issues for many users. It is something that we have discussed with our product team and developers and decided that in order to offer the support and stability needed - it would be best to remove the player altogether.

You can of course still use the more recent embedded players available through the site.

All the best,
Mathis

(I also was using flash all over my website and now we need to go through and re-embed every playlist - a heads up would have been nice guys!!)
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fandalism.

Suddenly, today, all the SoundCloud-links on my Fandalism-page don't work anymore. Message is: listen to audio on SoundCloud. Are you guys having some sort of problem with Fandalism?

I agree - VERY POORLY handled by SC!!
Hi there you two,

All the best,
Mathis

Hi Mathis, I just reembedded my tracks on my website. Now with the new HTML5 players and links. But it doesn't work. The website is created with wordpress, so I have chosen the Wordpress code. Do you know what went wrong? http://www.djanesimone.de/willkommen-zu-house/kostproben-2/
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there you two,

All the best,
Mathis

Hi DJANE,

Thanks for following up. Hmm, it looks like the wordpress code still converts into a Flash Object for some reason. Here's a screenshot that shows that a bit clearer:

You can do this in Chrome by right-clicking on your website, then choosing "Inspect Element". Then, click on the small magnifying glass on the left hand side and click on the embed. This will highlight the code on your website that's responsible for the embed.

Are you using a specific plugin on Wordpress, or a specific theme that might do this automatically? The embed code that you can grad from your track or playlists would normally always turn into an <iframe> code.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Luis,

Thanks for reporting. Those three account were already removed from SoundCloud now. This type of spam is definitely something the Trust & Safety team keeps looking into, trying to find ways to prevent these from happening.

Reporting them to us is helping already, so thanks so much for that!

All the best
Mathis
Hi there you two,

All the best,
Mathis

Hi Mathis,

i don't use a plugin for soundcloud. The Wordpress Theme's name is twenty eleven. 4 years old. And the wordpress version is also 4 years old. Maybe that's the reason why embedding soundcloud doesn't work. Do you have an idea, what I could do now? I just don't want to update wordpress. My website works so far. And I don't want to have problems with it. Any idea?
Hi there you two,

All the best,
Mathis

Hi Mathis,

problem solved. I forgot that I have to paste the code of the soundcloud link into source code and not just paste it into a side of my homepage. It works fine now. Thank you for your help! DJane Simoné
Thanks for your reply Mathis! We have now switched to the visual player which works perfectly except for IE users (IE 11 included). According to SC's comments on this issue, it should work with IE 11. I know this is a different issue, but I would like to understand if this is a known issue for you guys? About 10% of our users are quite addicted to IE 🙂.

But we have now received thankful comments of iOS users, so that helps.

Hi Mathis,

Have you been able to discuss the IE11 issue with your enhgineers yet?

"Hmm IE11 should be supported. Any chance you can send over a screenshot of how the embed looks when you open the website from IE11? This way I can forward this to our engineers."

Many thanks in advance for your answer.
Hi Luis,

Thanks for reporting. Those three account were already removed from SoundCloud now. This type of spam is definitely something the Trust & Safety team keeps looking into, trying to find ways to prevent these from happening.

All the best
Mathis

Thank you for all this. It's very helpful to see our challenge illustrated so clearly here. Do I understand correctly that the solution to our now non-working embedded files is to replace everything linked-code by linked-code? Is there possibly a universal "find and replace" option?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fandalism.

Suddenly, today, all the SoundCloud-links on my Fandalism-page don't work anymore. Message is: listen to audio on SoundCloud. Are you guys having some sort of problem with Fandalism?

Mathis, the link to the usable embedded players is not working. It says the article is no longer there. We have dozens of links in our site using the embedded player that no longer work. I need a workable solution for our clients to have access to this material.
I have only just noticed that my website has had a broken soundcloud link on it for about 3 months now! Can't believe users weren't notified properly of the change. Now I am screwed because I don't know how to code my website to make the change to the new format and am going to have to fork out money for a web designer to figure this out for me. Is there an easy way to make the change? I have tried doing what is mentioned on the soundcloud pages but my code in the website that was carrying the old player looks vastly different to what the current code link looks like and I have no idea what to do. It's really frustrating to know this has been going on for so long and we didn't get informed. What is the best way to proceed to get my website's audio back up and running? I am a sound engineer after all and the audio on my website is the most important part!!! Any help would be much appreciated!
Hi Luis,

All the best
Mathis

Mathis I know you are not responsible for the problem, you are trying to help. But someone inside Soundcloud really had a bad idea doing this change without creating any strategy to help their users and customers, that is cruel. Wherever I only have to replace about 30 shortcodes. It is a shame for the people that have a lot of Soundcloud content in their websites.

Then, the solution is replace the embedded codes with the new ones?. I am helping someone that have in his website api urls like this one:

http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/59324211 <-- How can I use properly this kind of urls with the new syntax?

Thank you for your help.

PD: The url that you are sharing about the players is not showing information.
so whats the solution guys? i have this problem since months and still nothing fixed! i do not understand from codes etc. i just know we created and did SOUNDCLOUD and everyday goes worse.
Well, I see it's been a couple years, I haven't been paying attention. I guess I could delete my account on Fandalism and start over if that's what I really want to do. But I probably want to do other stuff. Cool while it lasted, not really very long. How soon will it be until the next obsolete technology that we depend on is trashed? Why waste time? Take it all down now and be done with it. Nothing lasts forever anyway.
Hi,

I'm sure I'm missing something pretty simple on my website, but when I copy the embed code over to wordpress (i have ticked wordpress) it just shows the embed link and nothing else, as per screen shot in preview mode.

Can you please tell me where i"m going wrong?

Thanks
Sajjad
Well, I see it's been a couple years, I haven't been paying attention. I guess I could delete my account on Fandalism and start over if that's what I really want to do. But I probably want to do other stuff. Cool while it lasted, not really very long. How soon will it be until the next obsolete technology that we depend on is trashed? Why waste time? Take it all down now and be done with it. Nothing lasts forever anyway.
Ja Zac ...... same feelings here !!