Question

Issues with embedded player

• 28 October 2015
  • 44 replies

On our forum (synthforum.nl) we use the SoundCloud embedded plauyer, the simple one, I forgot the exact name of it. Since a few minutes, tracks aren't visible any longer. There is a message in the player: "Please visit SoundCloud.com to listen to this content". I have not seen this before. We haven't changed anything within the forum software.

Forum software is vBulletin 3.8.7

Any ideas?

44 replies

Userlevel 1
This has broken a TON of stuff out there. There are some forum/blog/CMS software packages that do not support iframe for security purposes. The old flash links worked just fine. Not everyone is ready to embrace HTML5 and there is a *LOT* of legacy content out there. There's not even a link to the content on Soundcloud. You are just leaving people in dust. Why leave your general international userbase in the dust because a few nerds in an office want to justify their budgets by putting everything "latest and greatest" without giving one crap about the legacy base. Remember, there is a world out there, some still extensively using Windows XP.. in other words, not everyone adapts as fast as many of these flashy startups think. We need a way to accommodate object tags.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fandalism.

Suddenly, today, all the SoundCloud-links on my Fandalism-page don't work anymore. Message is: listen to audio on SoundCloud. Are you guys having some sort of problem with Fandalism?

We put hundreds of hours into creating our online music project and now it's all dust just because Soundcloud doesn't care about its customers. What service will Soundcloud drop next? How can anyone depend on Soundcloud anymore?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there you two,

Thanks for writing in about this and sorry for any confusion regarding this. I've looked into your cases in further detail, and it looks like you were using an older version of our embedded player - the one that was still powered through Flash.

We previously supported the ability to utilise the standard Flash (http://bit.ly/13PWdta) embed on SoundCloud. Now that html5 is more widely supported across the web and mobile devices, we've removed the Flash player from the platform completely.

In more general terms, the Flash format is not being developed any further by Adobe and is causing performance and security issues for many users. It is something that we have discussed with our product team and developers and decided that in order to offer the support and stability needed - it would be best to remove the player altogether.

You can of course still use the more recent embedded players available through the site.

I hope this helps to shed some light on this.

All the best,
Mathis
Oooh ok, makes sense.
Thanks for the quick response! 🙂
Thanks for your reply Mathis! We have now switched to the visual player which works perfectly except for IE users (IE 11 included). According to SC's comments on this issue, it should work with IE 11. I know this is a different issue, but I would like to understand if this is a known issue for you guys? About 10% of our users are quite addicted to IE 🙂.

But we have now received thankful comments of iOS users, so that helps.
I have only just noticed that my website has had a broken soundcloud link on it for about 3 months now! Can't believe users weren't notified properly of the change. Now I am screwed because I don't know how to code my website to make the change to the new format and am going to have to fork out money for a web designer to figure this out for me. Is there an easy way to make the change? I have tried doing what is mentioned on the soundcloud pages but my code in the website that was carrying the old player looks vastly different to what the current code link looks like and I have no idea what to do. It's really frustrating to know this has been going on for so long and we didn't get informed. What is the best way to proceed to get my website's audio back up and running? I am a sound engineer after all and the audio on my website is the most important part!!! Any help would be much appreciated!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Fandalism.

Suddenly, today, all the SoundCloud-links on my Fandalism-page don't work anymore. Message is: listen to audio on SoundCloud. Are you guys having some sort of problem with Fandalism?

Mathis, the link to the usable embedded players is not working. It says the article is no longer there. We have dozens of links in our site using the embedded player that no longer work. I need a workable solution for our clients to have access to this material.
Well, I see it's been a couple years, I haven't been paying attention. I guess I could delete my account on Fandalism and start over if that's what I really want to do. But I probably want to do other stuff. Cool while it lasted, not really very long. How soon will it be until the next obsolete technology that we depend on is trashed? Why waste time? Take it all down now and be done with it. Nothing lasts forever anyway.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled "Please visit SoundCloud.com to listen to this content".

Hello,
I have read the other thread, and i am aware of the fact you
have simply removed the flash player, so everyone (like they or not)
bumps into the new HTML5 player.

Flash is obsolete and not
supported, i can understand that, but did you guys have a second thought
about the consequences of simply removing the old player. Do you
remember that thousands of sites, with thousands of songs embedded, rely
on the old player?

Now, all those labels and music blog sites
see is the useless applet saying: "Please visit SoundCloud.com to listen
to this content". OK, let's assume i will visit, but how am i supposed
to find exactly that tune in the gigantic amount of songs on
SoundCloud, not to mention those with similar titles? Why didn't you
bother to at least make a link that leads to the song in question on
SoundCloud site possible?

Do you have any intentions to do something about this serious issue?

Thanks for understanding.
Hi,

I'm sure I'm missing something pretty simple on my website, but when I copy the embed code over to wordpress (i have ticked wordpress) it just shows the embed link and nothing else, as per screen shot in preview mode.

Can you please tell me where i"m going wrong?

Thanks
Sajjad
Hi there you two,

Thanks for writing in about this and sorry for any confusion regarding this. I've looked into your cases in further detail, and it looks like you were using an older version of our embedded player - the one that was still powered through Flash.

We previously supported the ability to utilise the standard Flash (http://bit.ly/13PWdta) embed on SoundCloud. Now that html5 is more widely supported across the web and mobile devices, we've removed the Flash player from the platform completely.

In more general terms, the Flash format is not being developed any further by Adobe and is causing performance and security issues for many users. It is something that we have discussed with our product team and developers and decided that in order to offer the support and stability needed - it would be best to remove the player altogether.

You can of course still use the more recent embedded players available through the site.

I hope this helps to shed some light on this.

All the best,
Mathis

Hi Mathis, I just reembedded my tracks on my website. Now with the new HTML5 players and links. But it doesn't work. The website is created with wordpress, so I have chosen the Wordpress code. Do you know what went wrong? http://www.djanesimone.de/willkommen-zu-house/kostproben-2/
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for your reply Mathis! We have now switched to the visual player which works perfectly except for IE users (IE 11 included). According to SC's comments on this issue, it should work with IE 11. I know this is a different issue, but I would like to understand if this is a known issue for you guys? About 10% of our users are quite addicted to IE 🙂.

Hi again,

Hmm IE11 should be supported. Any chance you can send over a screenshot of how the embed looks when you open the website from IE11? This way I can forward this to our engineers.
Is there a way to at least have a link to the content? Or how do I get the url from it, since I'm not the admin of the account and can't talk to her anymore?
Is there a way to at least have a link to the content? Or how do I get the url from it, since I'm not the admin of the account and can't talk to her anymore?
I can't find it on the website either because the track and band name were many strange symbols I simply can't recall.

Sure. I am not sure if you would be able to draw any conclusions from it. This is what we see using IE 11.

And this is how it looks like in Firefox.

Last picture shows the IE version.

This has broken a TON of stuff out there. There are some forum/blog/CMS software packages that do not support iframe for security purposes. The old flash links worked just fine. Not everyone is ready to embrace HTML5 and there is a *LOT* of legacy content out there. There's not even a link to the content on Soundcloud. You are just leaving people in dust. Why leave your general international userbase in the dust because a few nerds in an office want to justify their budgets by putting everything "latest and greatest" without giving one crap about the legacy base. Remember, there is a world out there, some still extensively using Windows XP.. in other words, not everyone adapts as fast as many of these flashy startups think. We need a way to accommodate object tags.
Could you please mind your manners in my thread and not insult the people that are trying to solve my problem? Thank you.
Is there a fix anticipated for this? The older versions allowed minimal players , which is far preferable to the much more limited options now. The "tiny" player is embedded throughout our website. We have a Pro Unlimited account but will cancel and switch to another service immediately if we're forced into one of the large default players. Why was there no notice of this change? So disappointing.
What happens if you right click on the image? You might see the url the player reffers (referred) to.

this is happening to us as well. we run a shop at http://shop.12k.com and all of the track preview players are broken. the shop back end is powered by Limited Run and their (very awesome) tech support said we simply switch player types in our soundcloud account, yet, i don't see where to do this or how it would reflect back into our shop.

what's the fix for this? what do we do?
I see what you mean, you're not the admin and therefor you can't change the code for the embedded player, or edit the post in any way to see what URL the player used to refer to.
this is happening to us as well. we run a shop at http://shop.12k.com and all of the track preview players are broken. the shop back end is powered by Limited Run and their (very awesome) tech support said we simply switch player types in our soundcloud account, yet, i don't see where to do this or how it would reflect back into our shop.

what's the fix for this? what do we do?

Changing to the visual player or the old HTML player is actually the only option, if I'm correct.
Is there a fix anticipated for this? The older versions allowed minimal players , which is far preferable to the much more limited options now. The "tiny" player is embedded throughout our website. We have a Pro Unlimited account but will cancel and switch to another service immediately if we're forced into one of the large default players. Why was there no notice of this change? So disappointing.
We had the same issue with size. However, there are option for rescaling the player in any format you like. We were specifically concerned about the players showing up in mebers' signatures, since it looked like they were consuming a lot of space. We have however resized the visual player to the same scale of the old player.
where is the code to insert into our CSS files.. for the new player?

right now we are using this:
https://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Fplaylists%2F{{

Hi Mathis,

Have you been able to discuss the IE11 issue with your enhgineers yet?

"Hmm IE11 should be supported. Any chance you can send over a screenshot of how the embed looks when you open the website from IE11? This way I can forward this to our engineers."

Many thanks in advance for your answer.