Question

Licence no longer shown for any song

• 3 October 2014
  • 24 replies

Userlevel 2
Apparently the new design no longer displays the kind of license under which a song has been released. I can still find songs that are allowed to be shared or used commercially through the track search, but I can not find details anywhere on the song pages. The license used to be displayed below the player, now I can not find it anywhere.

Is it really missing or am I supposed to search somewhere else?

24 replies

I came here to post this exact thing.
Hope someone can point us in the right direction!
Userlevel 2
Me too. It is a hidden feature now?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey everyone,

Thanks for posting and commenting, I was unaware this was causing confusion on the newer design. Providing license info is up to the discretion of the creator when they upload a track. If they choose to add a license then this information is used to generate search results when you filter by license. However, it's up to the creator to make this information public by also adding the license type in the track info.

You can always message the creator if you want to confirm the type of license. I will also pass this on to our web team to take into consideration. We can't force users to publicly share a license but perhaps we can brainstorm on how to encourage more creators to include it in their track info.

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion. Let me know if any of you have any further questions and thanks for visiting the forum.

Cheers,
Gina
Userlevel 2
Hello Gina!,

thanks for your statement.

It still a bit unclear for me. SC forced users for years to show a licence. (c) as a default. Why now it is not possible? And if the track is under Creative Commons, then the creator already gave us the right to use (hear into), distribute and may modify the track. So you (SC) have to show the Creative Commons licences, if they were chosen by creators.

Not to show the Creative Commons licence clearly and nearby the track (photo, video, ...) is already a kind of violation of Creative Commons licence.

In my opinion, SC have to bring back the copyright information CC or (c) to the song pages.

Cheers, ready@klangboot
Userlevel 2
Hello Gina,

It's me again. I make a podcast series https://soundcloud.com/klangboot for electronic and ambient music and I have to make the Creative Commons licence visible for all my episodes. Even if I choose a licence for a podcast episode, this information doesn't appear anywhere. At the time there is also no functionality at SC back end for showing the licences. Even if I wish to show the licence, I can't do that now.

Cheers, ready@klangboot
Userlevel 2
When I first posted I thought this was just an oversight on my part, but if it is an actual design decision, I have to add some reasons for why this is a problem, and not even a minor one:

- Gina, you say that "it's up to the creator to make this information public". That is true, but they already did. Everyone who uploaded music in the past and selected a creative commons license did so very conciously. They knew it would be displayed, and they wanted it to be displayed. That information, once publicly available, is now gone. There are popular artists who will suddenly be bombarded with emails, as no one can be sure if their old stuff is still free to use. There are artists who are no longer active or even alive, their work lost forever because they can't be contacted. No one ever put additional information in the description because it was already there, not because they wanted to hide it.

- The search function in no way allows for all of the information to be found, even indirectly. There are many more licensing options than the search options differentiate, for example whether share-alike was selected. In fact, as klangboot already stated, not displaying that a song has been licensed as share-alike may already be a violation on your part. I am not a lawyer and it is probably not really a problem legally, but it is certainly against the spirit of the license.

- Also, when you say that "it's up to the creator to make this information public", do you mean that they should put it as a text in the description? Because a) That will make for very ugly and convoluted descriptions in the future, no matter how nice the new design may look on it's own, and b) There will be mistakes. Tons and tons of mistakes. For people who choose to release their work under a creative commons license, that is legally binding information with a huge impact on their rights. The old system may not have been foolproof, but it was alright. If you ask people to enter a license by hand, even a one-letter-typo can grant completely different rights to users, and it may not be noticed until it is too late. Because the old design displayed nice little icons that immediately showed what kind of license was selected, while mistakes in writing can be very hard to catch if you are looking at something like "CC BY-NC-ND"

So long story short, please show this information directly on the main page for any song, like used to be the case. If you use soundcloud mainly as a music player, this might not be all that important. But for people who want to use music in their projects, and for musicians who want to collaborate, this is not a minor problem. It is a showstopper.
When I first posted I thought this was just an oversight on my part, but if it is an actual design decision, I have to add some reasons for why this is a problem, and not even a minor one:

- Gina, you say that "it's up to the creator to make this information public". That is true, but they already did. Everyone who uploaded music in the past and selected a creative commons license did so very conciously. They knew it would be displayed, and they wanted it to be displayed. That information, once publicly available, is now gone. There are popular artists who will suddenly be bombarded with emails, as no one can be sure if their old stuff is still free to use. There are artists who are no longer active or even alive, their work lost forever because they can't be contacted. No one ever put additional information in the description because it was already there, not because they wanted to hide it.

- The search function in no way allows for all of the information to be found, even indirectly. There are many more licensing options than the search options differentiate, for example whether share-alike was selected. In fact, as klangboot already stated, not displaying that a song has been licensed as share-alike may already be a violation on your part. I am not a lawyer and it is probably not really a problem legally, but it is certainly against the spirit of the license.

- Also, when you say that "it's up to the creator to make this information public", do you mean that they should put it as a text in the description? Because a) That will make for very ugly and convoluted descriptions in the future, no matter how nice the new design may look on it's own, and b) There will be mistakes. Tons and tons of mistakes. For people who choose to release their work under a creative commons license, that is legally binding information with a huge impact on their rights. The old system may not have been foolproof, but it was alright. If you ask people to enter a license by hand, even a one-letter-typo can grant completely different rights to users, and it may not be noticed until it is too late. Because the old design displayed nice little icons that immediately showed what kind of license was selected, while mistakes in writing can be very hard to catch if you are looking at something like "CC BY-NC-ND"

So long story short, please show this information directly on the main page for any song, like used to be the case. If you use soundcloud mainly as a music player, this might not be all that important. But for people who want to use music in their projects, and for musicians who want to collaborate, this is not a minor problem. It is a showstopper.

I second this concise summary of the whole issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hey guys,

Thanks for your thorough explanations. I agree with what you both are saying. Please allow me to rectify a bit of what Gina was saying about our new design (after all, it is quite new to all of us 😉 )

If the uploader of a track chooses a Creative Commons Licence, then this is indeed shown on the detailed information - admittedly, this information isn't very obvious at first.

You can access more details for a track by clicking "Read More" in the track info section. The link is in the upper right hand corner of a track's page.

In the overlay, a Creative Commons Licence will be shown as follows:

Please note that if the licence is set to "All right reserved", this isn't explicitly shown on the details page.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 2

You are right, the information is now there for all the songs I tested. I am absolutely certain that this was not the case when I posted the question, but as long as it stays where it is now, i will be happy :-)

So thanks for the news
Userlevel 2

Hey Gina! Hey Mathis!

Fine! Thanks a lot for the changes!

In my opinion it would be fantastic if SC become proactive and shows the licences every time a track appears. Why to hide the licence information behind the "read more" button?.. May this or similar way:

As a podcaster I don't always search for the tracks from the search menu. I just browse through my stream or just push "Explore" (and then hear into a particular track). So I can get more information simultaneously (track plays, number of comments and so on) For me it is very important to see the licence as soon as possible. There are a lot of people who (still) use SC as a collection also of CC licensed tracks. It is not that hard to make two additional clicks pro track to see the licence, but... You know?

Cheers, ready@klangboot
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Klangboot,

Fair enough and nice design mock up there, happy to share this with the team. Also, apologies for the mis-statement before!

Let us know if Mathis or I can help with anything else.

Best,
G&M
Hi all,

I am looking to use some music in a video and cannot seem to find the track info button in order to find the type of creative commons license. Has it been removed again? Help please!

Thanks,

Gio
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi all,

I am looking to use some music in a video and cannot seem to find the track info button in order to find the type of creative commons license. Has it been removed again? Help please!

Thanks,

Gio

Hi Gio,

The track info is now located directly below the track waveform. When in doubt and just as a good practice, I would always get in touch with the creator before using their tracks.

Hope that helps,
Gina
Hi all,

Thanks,

Gio

Hi Gina,

Thanks for getting in touch. I have attached a snapshot of track i'd like to use. I found
it by selecting the commercial use filter, but as you can see, when i select the song, there is no button for track info and nowhere displaying the type of CC license the author has chosen...

Or am i just comepletely missing something?

Cheers,

Gio
Userlevel 2
Hi all,

Thanks,

Gio

I ran into the same problem recently. It seems the info is, again, gone for some songs.

Here is a trick that may help you until this is fixed:
Look at the sourcecode of the songs page. I don't know what Browser you are using, but in Firefox for example you have to right click and select "show sourcecode" (or something similar, mine is not in english).
Then, search for "license". Until now, I could always find it at the very bottom, within the last 5 lines of the code. In your example song, it says "License: cc-by". In this case, Google "cc-by" and you will get the information you need. Of course, I cannot guarantee that this information is actually what is supposed to be displayed, so still ask the creator when in doubt.

@Gina
I tried this songs page with Firefox and Chrome. The license is displayed in the source code, but not visible to the user. So I guess it is a bug that may affect all users. Is it working for you?
Hi all,

Thanks,

Gio

If I want to make an mp3 collection for listening at work, I need to prove that each and every file I download is not restricted by a license. The guys from the IT would ask me to delete them if I cannot prove it, and I cannot prove it with your current website layout.
Also if I had to ask every owner about every song I want to listen to, I'm going to waste a lot of my and their time for this. I don't want to be in a delicate position retarding the company's copyright rules. So in this case, I can't get my music from soundcloud. The website is for creators to share the music, but who care about those listening?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi all,

Thanks,

Gio

Hi there,

Sorry about the delay in responding. Hmm, let's see - you should be able to see the license under the description-frame.

Like in this screenshot: http://cl.ly/image/0s3r0K0S2L2c

If you don't see it right away, try to click on "Show more". Can you see it now?

Cheers
Mathis
For a good user experience, the licence should be visible near the "download" button. That's the place where all we need it to be.
The only place where one can find info on the licence tag visibility is this forum, and I searched for it for hours. As a musician, I'd like that my fans didn't overstrain so much to download a free piece of music. As a casual listener... maybe, if I have to choose between to buy on iTunes and to discover the licence on SoundCloud, well... I'm tempted to buy.

Please...
Hi, I have been searching and searching for hours on end to find some tracks with the creative commons license. I am yet to have any luck with this. I am unable to find even one track with visible licensing info and it has become more frustrating than I anticipated. Am I missing something? Can someone please help me out with directions on how I can locate the licensing information on the soundcloud tracks I select. I tried all the suggestions listed in earlier responses, but they were not accurate and did not work.

Thanks alot.
Userlevel 2
Right now it works for me, so here is what should happen:

1. Search for any term with the search field
2. In the left sidebar, click on "tracks"
3. Some new options should appear in the left sidebar. Click on "to listen to"
4. Select the licensing rights you require, for example "to use commercially"
5. The results should now be limited to songs that give you those rights
6. Click on any of the songs left. Licensing Info should appear below the big player and above the comment section. If you can not find it, search for the word "licensed" with the browser search.

If none of the songs found that way show any licensing information, there may be a bug again.
Hello, I'm struggling to apply creative commons to my tracks (tried in Firefox + Chrome).
1- When I tck the box it does not save my choice. It workds for the RSS feed box though
2- Same if I want to make changes. to the CC. Does not save my choice.
Does that happen to anyone else ?
Any clue ?
Thanks a lot
V.
Right now it works for me, so here is what should happen:

1. Search for any term with the search field
2. In the left sidebar, click on "tracks"
3. Some new options should appear in the left sidebar. Click on "to listen to"
4. Select the licensing rights you require, for example "to use commercially"
5. The results should now be limited to songs that give you those rights
6. Click on any of the songs left. Licensing Info should appear below the big player and above the comment section. If you can not find it, search for the word "licensed" with the browser search.

If none of the songs found that way show any licensing information, there may be a bug again.

Thanks, this works - after I figured out I need to sometimes click "Show More" and scroll down past the lyrics etc.

I agree, using a non cc song is ticking time bomb