Answered

Removing the "Play on SoundCloud/Listen in Browser" Overlay on Embedded Players

• 17 August 2016
  • 45 replies

Userlevel 1
I am using your embedded players to include some podcasts on my page, doworkmedia.com. Everything works great, however, I was wondering if there is a way you could remove the "Play on SoundCloud/Listen in Browser" overlay from the players (shown below)?

I want my players to default to listening in the browser, but this overlay is hard to close on mobile devices.
icon

Best answer by Jeremy P. 5 October 2017, 16:00

Hey everyone,

We've been spending time fixing up and trying to improve our embedded player for our creator community. Reading through this forum and other feedback, we've heard the need for more control over the embed.

As part of this effort, we've added a new option which allows Pro Unlimited users to disable SoundCloud overlays. These are the banners which encourage users to check out more on SoundCloud. This includes the mobile overlay shown in the original post on this thread.

Here's an example with this checkbox on vs off:

With a Pro Unlimited account, you can also control if content recommendations are shown or hidden on tracks. This related content is shown when someone pauses a player.

Here's an example with this checkbox on vs off:

What this means is that you should now see two checkboxes – one for each option. Note: these are independent, so you can disable either or both of them with a Pro Unlimited account.

With this new functionality, we hope to put more control back into the hands of our community when embedding audio into your own blogs and websites. Let us know if anything doesn't work as you'd expect or have other ideas. We've got a few other things coming down the pipe in this area, so stay tuned.

Cheers.
View original

45 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Joye,

Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to remove this overlay.
Userlevel 1
Hey Joye. This overlay is upsetting to me as well! It is a new feature that only shows up on mobile devices and it is almost impossible to to borrow a newborn that has fingers small enough to actually tap the listen in browser button. Shame on you Soundcloud! what is the point of having an embed if you can't use it! My advise is to use an html mp3 player and play it from your server. and hopefully if enough people do this soundcloud will get the hint!
Userlevel 1
I strongly agree. Although I do understand that this is a good way to get users to download the Soundcloud app, I think it goes against the whole user experience. I would really appreciate it if you guys could implement this feature soon!!
Hello, the "Play on Soundcloud / Listen in browser" overlay is terribly confusing, especially on a mobile phone.
Any possibility to remove it or make it optional ?
Thanks in advance
Userlevel 1
This sucks! I pay for the premium account - I want to be able to embed it the way I want to on mobile devices! Why take my users away from my website! BOOO Soundcloud!!!
It is done on purpose so only soundcloud has a working app in the markets...
This sucks! I pay for the premium account - I want to be able to embed it the way I want to on mobile devices! Why take my users away from my website! BOOO Soundcloud!!!

Same thing!
Userlevel 1
I agree also.
To embed the player on my site was the first reason to sign in to soundcloud.
This "feature" makes it less useful and, not to forget, very bad looking.
If where is no solution i will go on without sc and use my site-player.
This option should be seriously considered. I know this terrible overlay is for spreading soundcloud app on mobile market, BUT it is not a good idea....
Userlevel 2
Hey Joye. This overlay is upsetting to me as well! It is a new feature that only shows up on mobile devices and it is almost impossible to to borrow a newborn that has fingers small enough to actually tap the listen in browser button. Shame on you Soundcloud! what is the point of having an embed if you can't use it! My advise is to use an html mp3 player and play it from your server. and hopefully if enough people do this soundcloud will get the hint!
Thanks Fred!
Do you think is there any other option to remove the "Play on SoundCloud/Listen in Browser" Overlay on Embedded Players?
Userlevel 2
Hi Joye,

I don't mind to pay more to have the option to remove the "Play on SoundCloud/Listen in Browser" Overlay on Embedded Players.
Do you think is possible to SoundCloud consider this option to remove?
Userlevel 2
Hi Joye,

The problem for me is: When user goes to SoundCloud app they can SHARE TRACKS. Do you think this is a bug?
Was going to open a pro account for employee podcasts (I work for 12,000 employee company) but with that crazy banner, I'm reconsidering.
I am also experiencing this issue and am considering canceling my soundcloud account and hosting my own MP3's that wont have a confusing overlay that makes it impossible to easily play tracks.
Userlevel 2
Absolutely hate this overlay feature. I pay for my account, I want to embed on my site and my users to have the easiest experience possible. This overlay is off putting to say the least. Please sort it out soundcloud!!!
Absolutely hate this overlay feature. I pay for my account, I want to embed on my site and my users to have the easiest experience possible. This overlay is off putting to say the least. Please sort it out soundcloud!!!

I agree! Have you called SoundCloud customer service? I doubt they read these comments and/or care about customer's concerns.
Userlevel 2
I'll give them a call, i didnt even realise they had a number 🙂
I'll give them a call, i didnt even realise they had a number :) Good luck and let us know what they say! This is an annoying forced feature of their platform, especially for paid subscriptions!
Hey techies from Soundcloud, please reconsider this overlay for pro's at least!
Why do we get this if we pay? Please listen to your devoted users! This widget has your logo already. Nobody needs traffic leakage, you know. It is really annoying, really.
The SoundCloud app is fucking terrible. I made my own website to display my music instead cause it's just so shitty. Why is it better to use the browser than an actual dedicated app? All you can do is like and play songs, what about all the other features?!
Why would they make 2 separate apps? that's so confusing
OMG Soundcloud are you serious? this overlay has caused me sooooo much grief.
I had never embedded music before, it all went like a dream UNTIL I hit publish and thought it was something I had done wrong, I have spent hours and hours trying different things, I have been abused my my client, had sleepless nights, as its totally unacceptable to her (you cant see the track name for the overlay, and I can understand where she's coming from).
Now I have to find another way to showcase her music on her website, so I guess she'll be moving off soundcloud as well.
If someone got through via phone, can they let us know the outcome before I re-do her whole music section of her site 😞
Userlevel 1
The nasty "Play on Soundcloud / Listen in browser" overlay is terribly confusing...
I choose Soundcloud to embed music on my website and I pay for the premium account ... I want to be able to remove it !
Yeah, I was gonna go Premium for our website, but if this feature can't be turned off I'm gonna look elsewhere. Bummer. This is confusing for non-techie users.
Come on Sound Cloud, just remove this shitty 'feature'. Many premium users like myself are complaining about this. I even see a severe drop in conversion rates with mobile devices and I strongly suspect this feature of causing the drop.

Or at least respond to the issue with your thoughts. This one of the most viewed subjects in your forum.

tnx