Solved

Removing the "Play on SoundCloud/Listen in Browser" Overlay on Embedded Players

• 17 August 2016
  • 43 replies

Userlevel 1
I am using your embedded players to include some podcasts on my page, doworkmedia.com. Everything works great, however, I was wondering if there is a way you could remove the "Play on SoundCloud/Listen in Browser" overlay from the players (shown below)?

I want my players to default to listening in the browser, but this overlay is hard to close on mobile devices.
icon

Best answer by Jeremy P. 5 October 2017, 16:00

Hey everyone,

We've been spending time fixing up and trying to improve our embedded player for our creator community. Reading through this forum and other feedback, we've heard the need for more control over the embed.

As part of this effort, we've added a new option which allows Pro Unlimited users to disable SoundCloud overlays. These are the banners which encourage users to check out more on SoundCloud. This includes the mobile overlay shown in the original post on this thread.

Here's an example with this checkbox on vs off:

With a Pro Unlimited account, you can also control if content recommendations are shown or hidden on tracks. This related content is shown when someone pauses a player.

What this means is that you should now see two checkboxes – one for each option. Note: these are independent, so you can disable either or both of them with a Pro Unlimited account.

With this new functionality, we hope to put more control back into the hands of our community when embedding audio into your own blogs and websites. Let us know if anything doesn't work as you'd expect or have other ideas. We've got a few other things coming down the pipe in this area, so stay tuned.

Cheers.
View original

43 replies

What on earth is going on at soundcloud ? The overlay checkbox just DOESN'T WORK on mobile phones .
What is the point of me putting an embed code on my website that sends the user to soundcloud ????
If I wanted that I would just send them to soundcloud in the first place ! The whole point of embedding is to keep users on my website.

On the upside it has just dawned on me it is stupid to pay for a pro service when I can get it free elsewhere so there is no question I will not renew my subscription. It's not like having a presence on soundcloud generates new listeners
Hi Joye,

Unfortunately, it is currently not possible to remove this overlay.

Hi Mathis, does this currently work in the unlimited plan?
In the plan says that I can disable overlyes, but I see all these comments and I do not know if it works, I need that this is not annoying on mobile devices.

I need to know before subscribing to this plan, thank you for your response.
For our problem. - Prize goes to Tom Jenkinson

Our eCom platform replaces "color=%23ff5500" with "color=#ff5500" - breaking the string and all the rest is ignored. Hence the overlays continue to load.

With the colour section removed the player will load the default button colour and honour the other instructions in the string, including disabling overlay "Play on Soundcloud". Sanity restored.

Thanks
On our website- this feature does not remove the "Play on Soundcloud " button. Mixcloud works fine.

I am writing to support, filing tickets, asking on twitter and can find neither a hack that I can successfully implement or any acknowledgement from Soundcloud.

Hey everyone,

We've been spending time fixing up and trying to improve our embedded player for our creator community. Reading through this forum and other feedback, we've heard the need for more control over the embed.

As part of this effort, we've added a new option which allows Pro Unlimited users to disable SoundCloud overlays. These are the banners which encourage users to check out more on SoundCloud. This includes the mobile overlay shown in the original post on this thread.

With a Pro Unlimited account, you can also control if content recommendations are shown or hidden on tracks. This related content is shown when someone pauses a player.

What this means is that you should now see two checkboxes – one for each option. Note: these are independent, so you can disable either or both of them with a Pro Unlimited account.

With this new functionality, we hope to put more control back into the hands of our community when embedding audio into your own blogs and websites. Let us know if anything doesn't work as you'd expect or have other ideas. We've got a few other things coming down the pipe in this area, so stay tuned.

Cheers.
Just upgraded - this is still happening despite unchecking the overlays box and re-uploading the track also....dislike this overlay very strongly

I am using your embedded players to include some podcasts on my page, doworkmedia.com. Everything works great, however, I was wondering if there is a way you could remove the "Play on SoundCloud/Listen in Browser" overlay from the players (shown below)?

I want my players to default to listening in the browser, but this overlay is hard to close on mobile devices.
Really, really bad! Need to find a simple music player now.
I hide this overlay by run this java script after page loaded.

document.getElementsByClassName('mobilePrestitial')[0].style.display=\"none\"

iOS example:

code:
self.webView?.evaluateJavaScript("document.getElementsByClassName('mobilePrestitial')[0].style.display=\"none\"", completionHandler: { (obj, error) in
if let error = error{
print(error)
}
})

I tried this, but it did not work. I have a feeling I'm pasting it in the wrong place. Where did you place this code?
Userlevel 2
Hey everyone,

Cheers.
I think you all could use another solution like a Audio HTML5 and Javascript and/or Wawesurfer.js...
My example: https://cdn.rawgit.com/trongnghia203/trongnghia203/de589f85/index.html

Github resource: https://github.com/trongnghia203/trongnghia203/blob/master/index.html

-Nghia
https://www.trongnghia203.tk/
Thanks god I read this before buying the pro plan. I am going to use my own server + cdn.
I hide this overlay by run this java script after page loaded.

document.getElementsByClassName('mobilePrestitial')[0].style.display=\"none\"

iOS example:

code:
self.webView?.evaluateJavaScript("document.getElementsByClassName('mobilePrestitial')[0].style.display=\"none\"", completionHandler: { (obj, error) in
if let error = error{
print(error)
}
})
SOUNDCLOUD: Is this thing on? Can you explain why users cannot get rid of the "Listen in Browser" overlay or provide a workaround. If not, I'm cancelling. Because I actually want my users to be able to listen without having to figure out how.
Come on guys, seriously. I understand you want your app used, but you should give the paying users the option. I'm going to switch back to Lybsin I guess... 😞
HEAR HEAR HEAR! But obviously SC is not paying any attention to this forum as no one from SC has ever replied.

I'm seriously reconsidering my PRO account.

SOUNDCLOUD, COME UP WITH A SOLUTION!!! YOU ARE PISSING OFF YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!
Hi site admins, i understand that the banner is causing a lot of people frustration. Including myself. I run a blog and often feature artists soundcloud material. It makes it incredibly confusing for a reader on a mobile device.

I also understand that this is a great way to drive traffic to your site but it is also detracting from our users experience as they are faced with this advertisement. Wondering whether or not they should click "listen on soundcloud".

Can you please reconsider the banner, it is already apparent that soundcloud is hosting the music as the logo is present at the top of the embed. This is a discouraging thing for someone like myself. I'd like to remind you that we are all promoting soundcloud with each embed and that if you would like it to keep up, helping us make our listeners lives easier would be helpful to not only us but also yourselves.

At the very least could you offer this as a pro account feature or something along those lines.

A resolution of some sort would be helpful here for both of us. I'd like to continue using soundcloud embeds but am now considering youtube embeds instead. The music on soundcloud is what makes me stay, but there is nothing stopping me from putting the music on youtube.

Do think about this. We are counting on you.

www.dusktodawnmusic.com
I found a very good overview of Soundcloud alternatives:

http://hiphopspeakeasy.com/2017/02/alternatives-soundcloud-ultimate-guide/
Did anyone come up with alternatives as yet, I'm still wasting hours trying to resolve this, my client will not have a bar of this overlay (pardon the pun) and the fact that it opens up in the app and not even to her music
Can anyone here suggest an alternative to SoundCloud?
Come on Sound Cloud, just remove this shitty 'feature'. Many premium users like myself are complaining about this. I even see a severe drop in conversion rates with mobile devices and I strongly suspect this feature of causing the drop.

Or at least respond to the issue with your thoughts. This one of the most viewed subjects in your forum.

tnx
Yeah, I was gonna go Premium for our website, but if this feature can't be turned off I'm gonna look elsewhere. Bummer. This is confusing for non-techie users.
Userlevel 1
The nasty "Play on Soundcloud / Listen in browser" overlay is terribly confusing...
I choose Soundcloud to embed music on my website and I pay for the premium account ... I want to be able to remove it !
OMG Soundcloud are you serious? this overlay has caused me sooooo much grief.
I had never embedded music before, it all went like a dream UNTIL I hit publish and thought it was something I had done wrong, I have spent hours and hours trying different things, I have been abused my my client, had sleepless nights, as its totally unacceptable to her (you cant see the track name for the overlay, and I can understand where she's coming from).
Now I have to find another way to showcase her music on her website, so I guess she'll be moving off soundcloud as well.
If someone got through via phone, can they let us know the outcome before I re-do her whole music section of her site 😞
Why would they make 2 separate apps? that's so confusing
The SoundCloud app is fucking terrible. I made my own website to display my music instead cause it's just so shitty. Why is it better to use the browser than an actual dedicated app? All you can do is like and play songs, what about all the other features?!
Hey techies from Soundcloud, please reconsider this overlay for pro's at least!
Why do we get this if we pay? Please listen to your devoted users! This widget has your logo already. Nobody needs traffic leakage, you know. It is really annoying, really.