Answered

Sharing private tracks outside SoundCloud by emailing the secret links started requiring a login to download.

• 6 February 2016
  • 9 replies

I have used my Pro account to share tracks privately with several choirs for some years without problems. The tracks are marked as private and downloads are enabled. I send the secret links by email. Choir members have been able to stream and download the tracks without signing up to SoundCloud. This how it should be according to your help pages.

Sometime in the last few days, attempting to download has started to trigger a pop-up:

This happens with tracks downloaded successfully a week ago and ones just uploaded.

Choir members have never needed to sign-up before and do not want to sign-up now.

Something is broken! Please fix it.

Thanks
JamaisDodger
icon

Best answer by Mathis 9 February 2016, 14:56

Hello everyone,

Thanks for getting in touch and discussing here on the forum. I've reached out to the relevant team, and they confirmed this is now expected behavior (i.e. not a bug).
If users have an account they just have to sign in to download on the site now. The tracks can still be streamed, and creators that embedded tracks on their websites still have anonymous downloads available. Making anonymous onsite downloaders sign in is basically a way to encourage them to engage with the Community.

I have, however, forwarded your feedback around this to the relevant product team now.

All the best

Mathis
View original

9 replies

Yes, we have today also experienced the same issue and is creating an unnecessary step for our audience and increasing support time.
Thank you Julius, Kasey & Brad. If you click the '+ ME TOO' button top right of my problem, it might help to catch the attention of the SoundCloud support team.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello everyone,

Thanks for getting in touch and discussing here on the forum. I've reached out to the relevant team, and they confirmed this is now expected behavior (i.e. not a bug).
If users have an account they just have to sign in to download on the site now. The tracks can still be streamed, and creators that embedded tracks on their websites still have anonymous downloads available. Making anonymous onsite downloaders sign in is basically a way to encourage them to engage with the Community.

I have, however, forwarded your feedback around this to the relevant product team now.

All the best

Mathis
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How To Switch Off Sign In To Download Audio.

Sign in was not required from about one week ago and now users have to sign-in to download audio.

How do we switch this feature off?

Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How To Switch Off Sign In To Download Audio.

Sign in was not required from about one week ago and now users have to sign-in to download audio.

How do we switch this feature off?

Thank you.

Hi there,

I've merged yours into this convo, as it is basically on the same topic. There is currently not an option to turn this off or on. Please read my previous reply for further info.

Cheers
Mathis
Hi Mathis,

Thank you for replying although I am very disappointed by what you tell me. One of the good things about SoundCloud for the choral community is that rehearsal tracks can be distributed in a controlled way by emailing private links. Choir members just have to click the link to stream or download. Many choir singers are seniors or otherwise naturally cautious about signing up for things. This change in what they are used to is bound to make them think badly about SoundCloud.

Since 2012 I have uploaded over 500 rehearsal tracks for five organisations. I am currently organising a choral workshop for 100+ singers. There are 40 rehearsal tracks for this event and the sudden need to sign-up was brought to my attention by one of the singers who was already a regular SoundCloud 'consumer'. I shall have to advise those that have already signed up (80+) of the change and possibly provide an alternative download source.

It would be a shame to no longer offer my consumers the visually attractive and intuitive to use SoundCloud UI but, if this change really is permanent, I shall be looking hard for another way to distribute rehearsal tracks and will not need to renew my Pro unlimited account when the time comes.

Please pass my further comment to the product team. I do hope they reconsider this decision.

JamaisDodger
Hello everyone,

All the best

Mathis

Mathis,

Thank you for your reply.

I have a few questions.

1) You say in your post "creators that embedded tracks on their websites still have anonymous downloads available."

This does not seem to work. As an example, if you go to http://expandwithjulius.com you will see one embedded SoundCloud audio just before half way down the page titled "2016.01 EWJ Free Show". This is a public track and there is no obvious way for someone to download it, hence we put a click here to download link under it to the appropriate track page on SoundCloud, The SoundCloud page has a download link on a PUBLIC track and when clicking on the Download button it asks the user to sign in.

So when you say "creators that embedded tracks on their websites still have anonymous downloads available."... Can you clarify how this works?

2) Can you clarify how the download of private audio files now works?

3) As having the main email address for the SoundCloud Pro account, I do not seem to have had any communication about the change in how downloads work. How and when did you notify account holders?

Thank you,

Bharat Karavadra
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Mathis,

Thank you for replying although I am very disappointed by what you tell me. One of the good things about SoundCloud for the choral community is that rehearsal tracks can be distributed in a controlled way by emailing private links. Choir members just have to click the link to stream or download. Many choir singers are seniors or otherwise naturally cautious about signing up for things. This change in what they are used to is bound to make them think badly about SoundCloud.

Since 2012 I have uploaded over 500 rehearsal tracks for five organisations. I am currently organising a choral workshop for 100+ singers. There are 40 rehearsal tracks for this event and the sudden need to sign-up was brought to my attention by one of the singers who was already a regular SoundCloud 'consumer'. I shall have to advise those that have already signed up (80+) of the change and possibly provide an alternative download source.

It would be a shame to no longer offer my consumers the visually attractive and intuitive to use SoundCloud UI but, if this change really is permanent, I shall be looking hard for another way to distribute rehearsal tracks and will not need to renew my Pro unlimited account when the time comes.

Please pass my further comment to the product team. I do hope they reconsider this decision.

JamaisDodger

Hi again JamaisDodger,

Thank you for following up and explaining your use case scenario - I can understand how this is causing inconveniences for you and will forward your feedback to the team.

All the best to you,
Mathis
Userlevel 5
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Gave my mate a link to my mix on here & he cant download it ??????.

My mate cant download my mix that ive done without you wanting him to join up here!! so youre trying to control who now downloads my music & trying to profit out of it?????!!!! talk about taking the hit n miss,who are you to say who downloads my stuff?? youve already knackered up the facebook player app,so we've all lost loads of plays,now youre controlling who downloads our material and plays,by trying to profit out of it??!! paul