Question

Soundcloud Client ID / Client Secret

• 30 July 2017
  • 3 replies

Hello,

We are in the process of having our new wordpress website designed and the designer requested we provide him with the following details:

Soundcloud Source Link
Soundcloud Client ID
Soundcloud Client Secret

Now, upon doing some research I noticed the form to "Register an App" is Currently unavailable but I still do need to retrieve this info.

Does anyone know of any alternate methods to retrieve this info? Or of any details about this form and if there is maybe a new process being adopted?

Please let me know,

Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
SoundCloud Application Registration
Due to the high amount of requests recently received, we will no longer be processing API application requests at this time. We are working to re-evaluate our process to make it more efficient.

basically if you have not created an app yet, your client id/secret doesnt exist in the api system yet. you normally get those when you create an app.

i suspect that after much abuse of the api system some months ago, soundcloud decided to manually review developer applications. with a much lighter workforce now, they most likely dont have the resources to manually review. i would think that their goal would be to move back to an automated system, only one thats a bit more robust, and id also expect to see some more limitations put in place as well.. i have no idea what type of abuse they were getting, but it was obviously enough or them to take such measures to try and mitigate the problem.

give them some time, they will sort it out 🙂 in the mean time you can always use embeds and other tools from within wordpress to achieve the same goal. (usually).
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks @Dubstep.fm for jumping in on this.

When talking to your designer, please be sure to clarify why these things are needed. Embedding links from SoundCloud can still be done, it doesn't require the use of our API or register an app in order to do so. Here's an outline of the options: https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003565128-Embedding-a-track-or-playlist-on-WordPress

Best
Mathis
I really needs the soundcloud cliend ID and client secret.
From what am seeing here it's like soundcloud won't be enabling that feature again the above post and feature has been disabled for a whole one year plus ago.

Too bad that i can't use the javascript because my social network website and mobile apps only have room for soundcloud client id and client secret.

You people should please notify me whenever this feature resurrect