Question

Soundcloud embed code not working on Internet Explorer but works on Google Chrome

It just does not work in Internet Explorer the embedded code. Really too bad because I am trying to help a musician out and get his music played on our landing page. It works in Chrome and Firefox but not IE.

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
i just want to throw this out there, but when i do web development, i no longer test for IE users anymore. as of april 2015, IE users only make up 8% of the market. simply put, use a browser that works 🙂
So who are the other 92% - probably outside of the U.S. I'm targeting the older market 60+ who are most likely using IE with a windows bought computer. You know, the people that have worked all of their lives that live in the U.S. Estimates for Internet Explorer's overall market share range from 16.9% to 57.38%. That is current data my friend. And I am not sure what is the point to your post other than stating to the world that you are a web developer. Read the topic title and if you have something to solve the issue than please do provide us with your expertise in the matter...
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
So who are the other 92% - probably outside of the U.S. I'm targeting the older market 60+ who are most likely using IE with a windows bought computer. You know, the people that have worked all of their lives that live in the U.S. Estimates for Internet Explorer's overall market share range from 16.9% to 57.38%. That is current data my friend. And I am not sure what is the point to your post other than stating to the world that you are a web developer. Read the topic title and if you have something to solve the issue than please do provide us with your expertise in the matter...
Hi there celticradio,

I'd be happy to take a closer look into this. Can you send over the link to your website where you've embedded the player please? Also, with which version of IE have you tested this? This way I can try and see if I can reproduce the issue from over here.

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers,
Mathis
http://www.celticradio.net/php/service_mod.php?type=about

IE11 on Windows 8; IE11 on Windows 7;

Seems to work fine on Firefox and Chrome. Thanks for looking into it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again,

Ok, so, looked into it, and it looks the issue is similar to the one outlined here. The solution I got back then should help you fixing this as well. The issue is essentially that some part of your website code tells IE to jump into IE5 mode, which does not support the embedded player, but review the entire conversation for the details :-)

Hope this helps!

Cheers
Mathis
Hi Mathis, much appreciated, but when I clicked on the link you gave it said I do not have access to the content? Any thoughts how I can view the solution?
Well I can not access the link above, but I do feel that soundcloud should make their embedded code available to all browsers not just the open source crowd. I will be advising the artist to look at another source to feature his tracks, perhaps youtube.com
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Well I can not access the link above, but I do feel that soundcloud should make their embedded code available to all browsers not just the open source crowd. I will be advising the artist to look at another source to feature his tracks, perhaps youtube.com
Ah, sorry - my bad! Also, sorry about the delay in responding.

Here you go:

SoundCloud embeds are compatible with IE in general, however not with IE5, which is a very, very old version of this browser 🙂 As soon as the custom CSS code is adjusted, the embed should work in your IE version just fine.

Cheers
Mathis
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Soundcloud embed code not working on Internet Explorer but works on Google Chrome....

Soundcloud embed code not working on Internet Explorer but works on Google Chrome.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Soundcloud embed code not working on Internet Explorer but works on Google Chrome....

Soundcloud embed code not working on Internet Explorer but works on Google Chrome.

Hey there,

I've merged this conversation to another one on the same topic. Please give this a read and see if it helps. :-)

Cheers
Mathis
Thanks. It is interesting that Facebook comments also stopped working in IE, but someone came up with a JS work around. I decided to use YouTube to display the song for now. I am also putting the IE browser in IE8 mode at the apache level. Not sure why it would be going into IE5 mode.

This is what I see when I try to load my website on IE9 (on Win 7 Enterprise):

Based on the screenshot you sent to another user - can something in the embed code be manually changed to get it to work? I'm not html savvy, but if you can lay it out for me, I can give it a try.

A big problem I have is the Soundcloud player not showing on iPhone web pages. Many of my SC players/audio content is on straight html web pages (not WP). I use the Soundlcoud html5 code to embed them - imagining that it's the correct embed code to use for IOS. Can you help me? Cheers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi aliciapower,

Can you provide us with the link to your page so we can test it on an iPhone from over here and investigate?

Cheers
Mathis