Question

Soundcloud link pasted on Facebook: Need Help Please

• 20 December 2014
  • 9 replies

Hi, I have a Fan Page on Facebook and I started pasting soundcloud page links on it, and facebook displayed a nice small icon with a play arrow icon so people realized it was a "playable" file, not just a static .jpg

But around a month ago this changed and when I copy the link you get a static picture (the one on soundcloud) and no play icon. I try re-pasting different ways.

Has anyone solved this? Funny thing is when I paste a link on my personal page the play icon is there, when I paste the link from the Fan Page account the play icon disappears.

Has anyone managed to work this out?

You’ll see here that the latest playable mp3 don’t have the play icon, but the last 2 at the bottom do!!

https://www.facebook.com/hernanb0vo

Many thanks

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi Hernan,

Thanks for visiting the help forums :)

This is a known issue of sorts but from what I understand its not entirely down to soundcloud. I know exactly what you mean as I have a facebook page myself & noticed that some older links still had that little player embedded while more recent ones have , in my case anyway, the artwork to the tune but clicking on it just takes you to the soundcloud site instead of playing on the facebook post.

This query has been raised previously so follow the below link and a more detailed explanation from Mathis that will explain the current issue.

https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/problem-with-soundcloud-player-on-facebook-pag...

Hope this helps clarify the issue for you 🙂

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Thanks a lot for your time DJ RIP, enjoy your Sunday.
Last question DJ, I've notices that in many FB fanpages for example Pink Floyd https://www.facebook.com/pinkfloyd?fref=nf
the embedded player and everything works perfect on posts that date from today. So, this issue is for some users only, right?
Thanks.
Userlevel 6
Hi there Hernan,

I've just been on that pinkfloyd page myself (and then spent quite a good while browsing through it! I may be perceived to be nothing more than a technohead raver but I love the Floyd).

Getting back on track though (will browse back through their facebook page after I've finished this!) I have found somthing that is quite interesting. Now, I couldnt see on any of the recent posts that the soundcloud player was visible on the pink floyd page, but what I DID see was in one of the comments to a post on there. Someone had put a link to a band's song on soundcloud & it came up with a player embedded in that comment (post dated 15th December "Roger Waters is staging his opera next month in Nashville, and has asked us to share this with you").

Now, Im not disputing that you have seen the soundcloud players on their FB page, just saying when I go on, I get the same as I see when I currently paste a link to my own tunes on FB, artwork from the track & clicking on it takes you to the soundcloud site. Maybe your using a different browser to me? Not sure what would cause the inconsistency, but as far as I am aware, the issue is pretty much "across the board"

But, just to keep things positive, what I saw on the facebook comments does give us users, who like to promote via facebook, a kind of workaround. I know the ideal would be the player as usual in the main body of the post, but thats the work in progress currently. I've just experimented with this and put the same link to the same tune as a comment on one of my facebook posts and, hey presto, a player widget appears after a few moments in the comment section! I've done a quick screen shot below. You'll see the link with artwork as the main post then, in the comments the same track but with a playbutton on it. I know its not perfect, but will certainly do the job for the time being, maybe just adding a note in the status to go to the comments section to hear the tune without being redirected.

It would seem that whatever system is employed when posting a link as your main status and is hindering the embedding of a player, is not employed when someone posts a link as a comment...weird

Hope that helps a little further (I know not much) but potentially a way of getting the player back on your facebook page, even if it does, for now, mean having to put it as a comment.

Enjoy whatever is left of your Sunday 🙂 - mines nearly over now :(

Regards :)

DJ R.I.P

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Hernan,

I've just been on that pinkfloyd page myself (and then spent quite a good while browsing through it! I may be perceived to be nothing more than a technohead raver but I love the Floyd).

Getting back on track though (will browse back through their facebook page after I've finished this!) I have found somthing that is quite interesting. Now, I couldnt see on any of the recent posts that the soundcloud player was visible on the pink floyd page, but what I DID see was in one of the comments to a post on there. Someone had put a link to a band's song on soundcloud & it came up with a player embedded in that comment (post dated 15th December "Roger Waters is staging his opera next month in Nashville, and has asked us to share this with you").

Now, Im not disputing that you have seen the soundcloud players on their FB page, just saying when I go on, I get the same as I see when I currently paste a link to my own tunes on FB, artwork from the track & clicking on it takes you to the soundcloud site. Maybe your using a different browser to me? Not sure what would cause the inconsistency, but as far as I am aware, the issue is pretty much "across the board"

But, just to keep things positive, what I saw on the facebook comments does give us users, who like to promote via facebook, a kind of workaround. I know the ideal would be the player as usual in the main body of the post, but thats the work in progress currently. I've just experimented with this and put the same link to the same tune as a comment on one of my facebook posts and, hey presto, a player widget appears after a few moments in the comment section! I've done a quick screen shot below. You'll see the link with artwork as the main post then, in the comments the same track but with a playbutton on it. I know its not perfect, but will certainly do the job for the time being, maybe just adding a note in the status to go to the comments section to hear the tune without being redirected.

It would seem that whatever system is employed when posting a link as your main status and is hindering the embedding of a player, is not employed when someone posts a link as a comment...weird

Hope that helps a little further (I know not much) but potentially a way of getting the player back on your facebook page, even if it does, for now, mean having to put it as a comment.

DJ R.I.P

Hi djraveinpeace and Hernan,

I've forwarded your query to our developers department. The holidays are just around the corner, so an update on this matter might just take a while.

@djraveinpeace - thanks for your workaround, super handy!

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 6
Hi there Hernan,

DJ R.I.P

Hey Mathis,

No worries. Issue not quite as across the board as I had initially thought, have seen some fellow soundclouders who I am friends with on facebook able to post up the player without any issue, although via their "regular personal" facebook pages. But, when I tried that on my own personal page, still does the same as when I paste a link on my DJ R.I.P page...maybe because my personal page is linked to a "page that I manage" so the issue follows it across? Don't know if that helps with any diagnostics but just putting it out there :)

Take it easy & Merry Christmas to all the Soundcloud Help Department :)

DJ R.I.P
Hi there Hernan,

DJ R.I.P

Thanks Mathis and DJRIP. That's true, if you post it on a comment it works, but not as a new post. The only thing here is that comments are not posted on people's timelines but posts yes. It's Funny that for the Pink Floyd page and some others the player works ok on a new post on a FanPage, anyway happy Xmas to you both. Cheers!
Userlevel 6
Hi there Hernan,

DJ R.I.P

Hey Hernan,

No worries mate, your welcome 🙂

I certainly agree it is very odd issue, but at least is being looked into. My only suggestion is put in the main body of any new posts to "go to the comments section for the player"..or somthing like that anyway ;)

Have a top Christmas yourself mate 🙂
Hi there Hernan,

DJ R.I.P

Hi this is also happening to me . As i post my track for fans on Facebook around a month ago this changed and when I copy the link you get a static picture (the one on soundcloud) and no play icon. I try re-pasting different ways. with no luck very frustrated. Because there is no one to contact about this problem. Please help.