Question

STILL can't follow over 2,000 people?

• 22 January 2015
  • 52 replies

Show first post

52 replies

Hi there,
Just to inform that we are a net label, Soundcloud is our main tool to work and discover new talents and keep in touch with all artists we're in contact, and we have a Pro account.
But we've just reached this limit of 2000 and we can't believe it, we'll have to delete 1 by 1 some artists and we definitely don't want to do such a thing, we appreciate every single artist we're following.
Such a shame...
Your argument brings a very good point and the reality about Soundcloud sometimes not being able to figure out the basic needs of power users and content creators. I pay over $100 year for my account and I expect to see some advantages in usability besides the obvious increase in space available for upload. I agree being able to keep up with 2000 users if they posted everyday would be very hard, but that is not the reality and that is not the point.

If you limit the number of users you make it a lot harder for smaller more unknown content creators who are trying to gain followers because people become more selective on who to follow when their number of follows is limited, and believe me in 6 or so years I have used Soundcloud it is very easy to follow over 2000 users that are worth following. Sure for someone who listens to top 40 music 2000 follows is plenty but not for us who are always looking for new music. Besides the fact that it's a lot easier to retain followers if you follow back, same way it works with other social networks.

Also, there is no filtering in the stream whatsoever which could be used to deal with those stability issues. Before reposts were a feature I used to be able to see in my stream tracks that were popular among users I follow, which enabled me to filter what I really wanted to listen, nowadays it's just a big blob of information with no filtering capability whatsoever. I think it would be nice to enable pro users to follow more people and at the same time give them the ability to create selective streams where they can create groups with certain users to be displayed. These are basic features in facebook and twitter and are very useful. Nowadays I discover more music through Facebook selective newsfeeds by creating groups with the pages of the artists that I follow precisely because the Souncloud stream doesn't have this capability.

But anyway thanks for the link for feature request, you are right about that, I see it as a problem because it is a problem for me but in reality it's just lack of a feature.

I have been with SC for 5 years pro account, I find the lack of some basic functions like cross referencing followers with following folders ridiculous, Paying customers should not have any limits on how many bands or people they want to follow ,that is the whole point of paying for an account STUPID. SC should listen to its paying customers. Also this reply "On another note, This limit has been in place for a very long time actually. Thus, we consider your query more as a feature request rather then a "problem", and since we've responded to your query, the topic has been set as "resolved". However, I do understand where the confusion is coming from, hence I've changed this to being a "question" that's been answered." is about as pathetic as it gets, If its a feature request that comes up time and time again then maybe perhaps just possibly it is a function that most people want
. You mention the limit has been in place for sometime now as if that has some bearing on its validity ? i fail to see your logic. We want to be able to compare our followers and following folders easily and we dont want a limit on how many people we can follow. How hard can that be ?
Userlevel 1
...aaaaand Soundcloud still fails to upgrade their services lol. glad i've been using it for free all these years. =b Its gonna be 2016, SC...gets with the program
Hey hey,

Thanks for voicing your opinion about this. As Gina has mentioned before, we're forwarding your feedback about this to the relevant product team.

If you'll allow, here's a bit of a different approach to your query: Consider every of the 2000 users you're following uploads a new track every day - say every week. Would you be able to listen to all of them? Now, consider they also repost a track from another user that they really like - would you be able to listen to 4000 tracks a week? I certainly wouldn't, and more importantly, it would make it much more difficult for me to be selective about my musical taste.

Now, obviously, I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate when telling you this, however I hope this puts the limit into relation to the feature.

On another note, This limit has been in place for a very long time actually. Thus, we consider your query more as a feature request rather then a "problem", and since we've responded to your query, the topic has been set as "resolved". However, I do understand where the confusion is coming from, hence I've changed this to being a "question" that's been answered.

The request has been forwarded, but please feel free to forward another feature request to us via email.

Thanks again & all the best to you,
Mathis

This 2000 max... What back end are you guys using. Every other social network does not cap number of users. I imagine (hope) only a pointer to the audio file is present in a user's stream, as opposed to the audio file itself. Meaning, the server only gets a heavy request when the user actually clicks on a waveform.

2000? It took me some years to get here, but I'm actually surprised this is a thing in 2015. Time for an overhaul (not the front end this time)
This is a BIG LIE !!!! "This is a hard limit, which is applied to all members, with every type of account subscription." How can you then explain the following fact for example (one of too many!!!) that the following user on soundcloud has MORE that 2000 followings ? https://soundcloud.com/rhetoricalmusic This account is following 2191 users. Hard limit, for EVERYONE ? I don't think so.

I understand the limitations, but I DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR DISHONESTY !!!

Other than that, I love Soundcloud, since it gives me the freedom to share my music with whoever I want, except for the people in countries like, China, where the government blocks it along with other public platforms. Anyway.

Kind Regards,
Konstantin Popov
Userlevel 1
it shows them following 1808, but whatevs. the 2000 limit is pretty fucking dumb. and now Soundcloud has been gobbled up by mainstream and is blocking hella uploads because of copyright so downhill it goes.
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for writing in to the Help Forum. I understand this is frustrating to you as a user who wants to connect with more users. The reason for this measure is to reduce stability issues related to following a large number of accounts (e.g. problems loading stream, followings page etc). This is a hard limit, which is applied to all members, with every type of account subscription.

We don't have plans to increase the limit however, I am happy to pass on your feedback to see if this is something we can consider in the future.

Best,
Gina

hello Gina, I totally understand SC's strategy for not allowing users to follow too many others, however I consistently run into accounts following more than 2000 like these account-https://soundcloud.com/kaizer-white or https://soundcloud.com/nishi-pink-hideki . the first account is actually following 1200 more than the "limit!" ...and this was just a quick search through my followers, there are many more.

Am I missing an explanation here? If it's a rule, it would be great if it was a consistent one, it might keep us whiny paying accounts more quiet ;-}

I agree with a cap, but it would be great if it was a little higher (like 3000 for basic pro accounts). I bet that would allow SC to sell more subscriptions as well. But back to the point: an answer to why some accounts are allowed to follow more than the limit would be appreciated.
Thanks,
JH
Hi SC,

how come big artists can get way over 2K Followers, i've seen accounts with over 64K, counting up to millions of followers, i'm a user for a few good years, & since i hit 2,000 last week, i couldn't follow more & to be honest it doesn't make sence + it's a bit rude for my future followers that i can't follow them back, it'll take too much hardworking hours & hard earned fans, to handpick & delete your fans, it's unfair, do something about it please....
Something might be changing on this policy .... Of late, I've seen a few accounts with the ability to follow more than 2000, my own included, which is presently at 2011. I received no notice or email about the changes, and I just happened to notice it the other day, when it was around 2004 ... Not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but I am concerned that at some point it may revert back to the original limit without an official announcement.
Userlevel 1
http://statsandengagement.help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/2167057-maximum-number-of-acc...
"Maximum number of accounts you can follow

The overall following limit is 2000 and this is applied to all subscriptions. This is a measure designed to reduce stability issues related to following a large number of accounts (e.g. problems loading your Stream, followings page etc)."
How lame is that?
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for writing in to the Help Forum. I understand this is frustrating to you as a user who wants to connect with more users. The reason for this measure is to reduce stability issues related to following a large number of accounts (e.g. problems loading stream, followings page etc). This is a hard limit, which is applied to all members, with every type of account subscription.

We don't have plans to increase the limit however, I am happy to pass on your feedback to see if this is something we can consider in the future.

Best,
Gina

Thank you! I have seen numerous accounts following much more than 2,000 artists. I also pay good money for a Pro account and would like to follow more people due to the fact that I promote music and my life/job requires me to know and listen to many, many artists in the music industry.
Hey hey,

Thanks for voicing your opinion about this. As Gina has mentioned before, we're forwarding your feedback about this to the relevant product team.

If you'll allow, here's a bit of a different approach to your query: Consider every of the 2000 users you're following uploads a new track every day - say every week. Would you be able to listen to all of them? Now, consider they also repost a track from another user that they really like - would you be able to listen to 4000 tracks a week? I certainly wouldn't, and more importantly, it would make it much more difficult for me to be selective about my musical taste.

Now, obviously, I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate when telling you this, however I hope this puts the limit into relation to the feature.

On another note, This limit has been in place for a very long time actually. Thus, we consider your query more as a feature request rather then a "problem", and since we've responded to your query, the topic has been set as "resolved". However, I do understand where the confusion is coming from, hence I've changed this to being a "question" that's been answered.

The request has been forwarded, but please feel free to forward another feature request to us via email.

Thanks again & all the best to you,
Mathis

I agree with all these users. For example, I use MixCloud because of your COPYRIGHT issues recently put into place on SoundCloud. MixCloud uses part of the money we artists pay, on a monthly basis to get a Pro account, as a means to pay record labels/producers/and publishers royalties on our behalf. They also do not cap the amount of people we can follow. I love SoundCloud and am very lucky that no more than 2 of my mixes got taken off and, therefore, I now have 2 strikes. I didn't get my account suspended thank goodness. However, I was not even given the chance to download the mixes to my computer before soundcloud took them down! I would have been livid if I hadn't found copies on an old flash drive..Either way, you guys are making A LOT of money off your subscription payments by all of us, artists or fans, and I think you can find a way to make it work for everyone to have the ability to follow at least 4,000-5,000 people..And no, no 1 will listen to 5,000 tracks/mixes a day..I don't listen to 2,000 tracks a day..But, I do need to have the ability to connect with all the artists I like, as a promoter, to have options..If MixCloud can figure it out, if FaceBook can figure it out, YouTube, Twitter, and Tumblr to name a few, than I expect you to be able to figure it out..Othrerwise, you should lower your account subscription prices asap..You're going to lose more and more DJ/Producers daily..There are many other options to do exactly what you're doing here SoundCloud..Get with the program! I remember when there weren't that many users on this site, I was here to watch it grow to what it is today, and I expect you guys to appreciate the resin you are where you are today..The Dj's, the producers, the bands, singer/songwriters, and the fans of course..Help us out!
Thanks for your time,
Sincerely,
Asher aka AceBreakz
acebreakz@gmail.com
This is a BIG LIE !!!! "This is a hard limit, which is applied to all members, with every type of account subscription." How can you then explain the following fact for example (one of too many!!!) that the following user on soundcloud has MORE that 2000 followings ? https://soundcloud.com/rhetoricalmusic This account is following 2191 users. Hard limit, for EVERYONE ? I don't think so.

I understand the limitations, but I DON'T AGREE WITH YOUR DISHONESTY !!!

Other than that, I love Soundcloud, since it gives me the freedom to share my music with whoever I want, except for the people in countries like, China, where the government blocks it along with other public platforms. Anyway.

Kind Regards,
Konstantin Popov

Huh, now I see that this profileis following way less than before, when I wrote this comment. I can't understand what is happening here anymore. Anyway, I still love Soundcloud.
Hi Nicholas,

Best,
Gina

Why do I see SEVERAL accounts that allow them to have more than 2,000 following? There are more than a few in the groups I'm in.
Why do I see SEVERAL accounts that allow them to have more than 2,000 following? There are more than a few in the groups I'm in.
Hi Nicholas,

Best,
Gina

I've noticed that my Follwing number will sometimes increase beyond 2k, but I believe this is a result of autofollows from downloading free tunes from DL gates such as Toneden, Tunebula, Tuneboost, etc... My following stat was once 2,045 (!!!!) and I thought this meant SC admins had finally upped the limit to 3k, but the extra 45 were gone within a few days. It still happens to me when I nab tracks from DL gate sites, but hasn't increased past 2,004 since then
Pro Unlimited Account. Would really love to be able to follow more than 2,000 artists. It simply isn't enough, and if you're reason is "Well, it'd be too chaotic and the Stream would be a mess/You wouldn't be able to see every song posted etc" that's bullshit. You can add features like filters (on genres, release dates, reposts/shares etc) or a plethora of other options. You're just being lazy.

Also, add a little (X) to the top right of each Upload, so while going through your Stream you can close songs listened to/don't care for. After scrolling down and down through the Stream, it begins demanding a large amount of computer resources. If I could close individual songs/uploads as I scroll through, there wouldn't even be an issue.

Please get it together. These have been issues for years now.
Is this for real?

Are we still in 1997?

What the f*** is this 2000 followers limit?

Hey Soundcloud, here's a thought, what about letting us follow whoever the heck we want? Who are you to decide for me what is "too much music".

This is so stupid and I'm so angry... I'll have to open a second account to follow more people. What a waste a of time. I'm glad I'm not paying anymore for your services.

Pardon my language but this is BS.
can we at least get a unfollow all button? bc music changes constantly on sc and tbh i dont know a great deal amount of accounts I follow now days (toneden), and the likelyhood is that I enjoyed the music of an account years back but soundcloud is all about the constant...aint nobody got time to remember every sc artist and press unfollow on most accounts if anything...

Hi Nicholas,

Best,
Gina
no, according to soundcloud it is the year 2000.

Is this for real?

Are we still in 1997?

What the f*** is this 2000 followers limit?

Pardon my language but this is BS.
Userlevel 1
Can't we write like a petition against this dumb following limit? I think more and more people find themselves in our situation every day and all we can do is just unfollowing people we don't want to unfollow? Could we just put an end to it?

I don't know english well so if a true english speaker read this, please at least try it.
Userlevel 2
I just hit the "max. 2000 Followers" limit, too and well if we can't have more then I need to unfollow some accounts now so that I can add new ones... :-(

Is there at least a way to sort the following list?
Let's say in descending order by the number of followers of the accounts I am following?
Or by recently added tracks?
Or by recently online accounts?
The fact is that it is about community gaining. Be able to make your music community stronger. The fact that Soundcloud has put a limit on the amount of people you can follow, makes Soundcloud a unfriendly place to gain music friends. The fact that it is able for bots to do their thing here is ridiculous too: there must be a program somewhere that blocks out bot profile pages. Also a Encap anti-robot test, where the person has have to click "I am not a robot" might help to get rid of inactive accounts. Basically, inactive accounts are all accounts that never post own content, nor re-post content. And that's exactly what a bot can't do. They can send you messages though. in a short story: You can prevent inactive accounts, and you don't have to restrict people. We pay to use your site, but we all put a lot of work in making a content. You actually have to pay us for the very fact that we lose people and that we create music content, Instead of that we pay ourselves to lose people and to create music content. Soundcloud is not about streaming only anymore. The time that Hollywood delivers music, only is over! The time of a sh*t-load of talented music artists, outside Hollywood stars has began. When your users were streamers only I can totally understand your point. But we are not streamers. We are music artists! That's why you should not restrict our possibilities to gain more than 2000 friends. It supposed to be limitless. It is very important that music artist are able to connect more people. The music world is already tough enough, because people are picky in music, and Hollywood don't hire people just like that. So you will remain a nobody. You can fix it, Stop the excuses. We're here to help you. This too is social media. Restricting people isn't social at all
Also: Anyone else think it is weird that the help centers on social media is bot controlled?? It is only a bot that answers back, and it only gives you the same answers! Bots are the problem! The Soundcloud team are not real people but bots too! Lazy bastards! Same for Facebook team: bots! All the social media teams are bots!! Problems will never be solved!!!
I'm also finding it frustrating to limit to 2000 follows. I follow people to help with promoting their music, and not everyone posts or reposts every day like you say. I end up unfollowing people who have more than a few hundred followers themselves so that I can follow new people who can use the followers. However, I'm missing out on music in my feed from the the more popular followers that I already have an liking to. It's making people think I don't like them too, when I unfollow. This is not convenient for my work. Please re-think your program settings then. On Facebook there's a 5000 limit to friends, but no limits to liking pages, to which I associate following someone on soundcloud as. I tried to make a new account, but I've worked pretty hard to maintain the account and the reputation I have with my one account.

So that's what happened, Jazzi. We thought you just didn't like us as much, which is understandable given that we're new and still only starting to get recognition. But now we're facing the same damn problem with our account. This is really crap. Can you imagine a limit like that on Twitter?! My God would that make growing your audience just that more difficult!

If you ask me, following a user back should be allowed. It comes off real rude to some artists sometimes. It creates unwanted confusions among others. After all, we're all a nice big family here, it's only apt that we stick together and are able to help each other out. I've been on SoundCloud for so many years now, and even though my primarily thoughts were that this platform is even better than Spotify, but I guess I stand corrected.

SoundCloud this doesn't look good, I'll be honest with you guys. For your reputation's sake, fix this ridiculous problem as soon a possible. I completely agree with you Jazzi. This sucks!

Sincerely,
Lunr1982.