Question

STILL can't follow over 2,000 people?

• 22 January 2015
  • 52 replies

Userlevel 1
Why I am paying my hard earned money to have a "pro" account, and somehow I STILL can't follow over 2,000 people? I've been on Soundcloud for YEARS! People are starting to think I'm a bloody jerk because I won't follow them back. Is there a way to fix this!?

52 replies

Userlevel 1
Hey hey,

Thanks for voicing your opinion about this. As Gina has mentioned before, we're forwarding your feedback about this to the relevant product team.

If you'll allow, here's a bit of a different approach to your query: Consider every of the 2000 users you're following uploads a new track every day - say every week. Would you be able to listen to all of them? Now, consider they also repost a track from another user that they really like - would you be able to listen to 4000 tracks a week? I certainly wouldn't, and more importantly, it would make it much more difficult for me to be selective about my musical taste.

Now, obviously, I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate when telling you this, however I hope this puts the limit into relation to the feature.

On another note, This limit has been in place for a very long time actually. Thus, we consider your query more as a feature request rather then a "problem", and since we've responded to your query, the topic has been set as "resolved". However, I do understand where the confusion is coming from, hence I've changed this to being a "question" that's been answered.

The request has been forwarded, but please feel free to forward another feature request to us via email.

Thanks again & all the best to you,
Mathis

Consider every of the 2000 users you're following uploads a new track every day - say every week. Would you be able to listen to all of them? Now, consider they also repost a track from another user that they really like - would you be able to listen to 4000 tracks a week? I certainly wouldn't, and more importantly, it would make it much more difficult for me to be selective about my musical taste.
Now, obviously, I'm being a bit of a devil's advocate when telling you this, however I hope this puts the limit into relation to the feature.
This is extremely off-base. Yes, you're playing DA, but it does not help me relate to the feature as you're still using the argument as a way to validate the feature. It's also completely different than the reasoning from your colleague Gina above.

You are projecting your approach to music discovery to millions of people. Everyone discovers music a different way, even on a service such as SC. Who are you (collective) to say I don't like having a huge, ever-expanding list of musicians that's so long I get lost? For me, that's the point of my curated SC following list; to have more options than I need.

I like 100+ songs on SC every single day, and often follow a dozen or more new accounts each day on average. This is purely as a fan of music; I am not a blogger. I am not trying to grow a community. I am just trying to find great artists, and this "feature" is severely limiting my ability to do so. I know countless others do the same as me, and countless others fit the mold you're describing, so placing everyone in one box is ludicrous.

If nothing can truly be changed, at least make people aware of the limit in an obvious manner. And if it truly is due to technical issues, hire new engineers!

This is my first post to the SC forums, but I've checked in a few times prior and noticed that you guys (the mod team) do an excellent job! 🙂 Mathis, you in particular always seem to come through with quality comments and assistance, but I simply couldn't buy it this time. I really dislike being so confrontational, but this issue is simply mind-boggling!
Userlevel 2
This is ridiculous, you should at least allow paid accounts to follow more users. It is unfair we can't follow more than 2000 users just as unpaid users do. Get it together Soundcloud. If twitter figured it out you should be able to as well. By the way why does it say problem "solved", just because a moderator comments on it and says no we can't do anything to help you doesn't mean it is "solved".
Hi there,
Just to inform that we are a net label, Soundcloud is our main tool to work and discover new talents and keep in touch with all artists we're in contact, and we have a Pro account.
But we've just reached this limit of 2000 and we can't believe it, we'll have to delete 1 by 1 some artists and we definitely don't want to do such a thing, we appreciate every single artist we're following.
Such a shame...
Userlevel 1
Your argument brings a very good point and the reality about Soundcloud sometimes not being able to figure out the basic needs of power users and content creators. I pay over $100 year for my account and I expect to see some advantages in usability besides the obvious increase in space available for upload. I agree being able to keep up with 2000 users if they posted everyday would be very hard, but that is not the reality and that is not the point.

If you limit the number of users you make it a lot harder for smaller more unknown content creators who are trying to gain followers because people become more selective on who to follow when their number of follows is limited, and believe me in 6 or so years I have used Soundcloud it is very easy to follow over 2000 users that are worth following. Sure for someone who listens to top 40 music 2000 follows is plenty but not for us who are always looking for new music. Besides the fact that it's a lot easier to retain followers if you follow back, same way it works with other social networks.

Also, there is no filtering in the stream whatsoever which could be used to deal with those stability issues. Before reposts were a feature I used to be able to see in my stream tracks that were popular among users I follow, which enabled me to filter what I really wanted to listen, nowadays it's just a big blob of information with no filtering capability whatsoever. I think it would be nice to enable pro users to follow more people and at the same time give them the ability to create selective streams where they can create groups with certain users to be displayed. These are basic features in facebook and twitter and are very useful. Nowadays I discover more music through Facebook selective newsfeeds by creating groups with the pages of the artists that I follow precisely because the Souncloud stream doesn't have this capability.

But anyway thanks for the link for feature request, you are right about that, I see it as a problem because it is a problem for me but in reality it's just lack of a feature.

I completely agree with you Mariozama! There needs to be some filter controls for the stream feed.
Just a suggestion:
I think allowing artists or listeners to Follow Back any one who is actively Following is an exception to the limitations.

Or to have a statistic that shows the artists you follow and if they follow you.so account holders (esp. Pro members) can manage their account and ensure their dedicated followers can be followed back.

With the follow\unfollow growth in other social media communities, not following back can generate a lot of unwanted negative feedback and response which can be detrimental to new or growing artists.

Acknowledging long time Pro account holders is also a welcoming addition to any future improvements :D

Thanks, Gina and the SoundCloud team for providing fans and artists this center to develop our passions and pursue our dreams!

RICK SAGA (9ftGrand)
'Everything is possible until proven impossible.' - RICK SAGA

The RICK SAGA Experience
Userlevel 1
Soundcloud, you're full of shit...stop this dumbass 2000 follower limit. Unless you want people to continue using this service, WAKE THE FCK up
I WILL GO ELSEWHERE IF THIS SHIT ISN"T CHANGED
Userlevel 2
So mixcloud I guess, anyway please raise the 2000 limit or make it easier to unfollow inactive accounts. I like having too much I can possibly listen to, it's how I'm surprised and discover. I know it's a technical issue but if you want stay ahead of the game...
Hey hey,

Thanks for voicing your opinion about this. As Gina has mentioned before, we're forwarding your feedback about this to the relevant product team.

If you'll allow, here's a bit of a different approach to your query: Consider every of the 2000 users you're following uploads a new track every day - say every week. Would you be able to listen to all of them? Now, consider they also repost a track from another user that they really like - would you be able to listen to 4000 tracks a week? I certainly wouldn't, and more importantly, it would make it much more difficult for me to be selective about my musical taste.

On another note, This limit has been in place for a very long time actually. Thus, we consider your query more as a feature request rather then a "problem", and since we've responded to your query, the topic has been set as "resolved". However, I do understand where the confusion is coming from, hence I've changed this to being a "question" that's been answered.

The request has been forwarded, but please feel free to forward another feature request to us via email.

Thanks again & all the best to you,
Mathis

You seem to be making the assumption that people use Soundcloud solely to discover and listen to new music.

That is patently not the way that most artists are using Soundcloud. They are using it as a full-blown social media website, allowing them to connect with other artists and help people build bigger social networks of musicians and listeners.

Having a 2,000 hard follower limit works directly against this natural growth process, which is able to occur beautifully on other social media sites like Twitter because they have an intelligently designed system that allows users to expand their networks at a relatively appropriate rate, depending on how much others are engaging and interacting with them.

Am I able to listen to 2,000 songs a week on Soundcloud? Nope.

Should I be able to follow back a user who follows me first, so that if a situation does arise where I want to communicate with that person who likes my music, it is easier for me to do so because our networks are mutually linked? Yep.
Userlevel 1
I'm also finding it frustrating to limit to 2000 follows. I follow people to help with promoting their music, and not everyone posts or reposts every day like you say. I end up unfollowing people who have more than a few hundred followers themselves so that I can follow new people who can use the followers. However, I'm missing out on music in my feed from the the more popular followers that I already have an liking to. It's making people think I don't like them too, when I unfollow. This is not convenient for my work. Please re-think your program settings then. On Facebook there's a 5000 limit to friends, but no limits to liking pages, to which I associate following someone on soundcloud as. I tried to make a new account, but I've worked pretty hard to maintain the account and the reputation I have with my one account.
Userlevel 2
Your argument brings a very good point and the reality about Soundcloud sometimes not being able to figure out the basic needs of power users and content creators. I pay over $100 year for my account and I expect to see some advantages in usability besides the obvious increase in space available for upload. I agree being able to keep up with 2000 users if they posted everyday would be very hard, but that is not the reality and that is not the point.

If you limit the number of users you make it a lot harder for smaller more unknown content creators who are trying to gain followers because people become more selective on who to follow when their number of follows is limited, and believe me in 6 or so years I have used Soundcloud it is very easy to follow over 2000 users that are worth following. Sure for someone who listens to top 40 music 2000 follows is plenty but not for us who are always looking for new music. Besides the fact that it's a lot easier to retain followers if you follow back, same way it works with other social networks.

Also, there is no filtering in the stream whatsoever which could be used to deal with those stability issues. Before reposts were a feature I used to be able to see in my stream tracks that were popular among users I follow, which enabled me to filter what I really wanted to listen, nowadays it's just a big blob of information with no filtering capability whatsoever. I think it would be nice to enable pro users to follow more people and at the same time give them the ability to create selective streams where they can create groups with certain users to be displayed. These are basic features in facebook and twitter and are very useful. Nowadays I discover more music through Facebook selective newsfeeds by creating groups with the pages of the artists that I follow precisely because the Souncloud stream doesn't have this capability.

But anyway thanks for the link for feature request, you are right about that, I see it as a problem because it is a problem for me but in reality it's just lack of a feature.
Hi SC,

how come big artists can get way over 2K Followers, i've seen accounts with over 64K, counting up to millions of followers, i'm a user for a few good years, & since i hit 2,000 last week, i couldn't follow more & to be honest it doesn't make sence + it's a bit rude for my future followers that i can't follow them back, it'll take too much hardworking hours & hard earned fans, to handpick & delete your fans, it's unfair, do something about it please....
Pro Unlimited Account. Would really love to be able to follow more than 2,000 artists. It simply isn't enough, and if you're reason is "Well, it'd be too chaotic and the Stream would be a mess/You wouldn't be able to see every song posted etc" that's bullshit. You can add features like filters (on genres, release dates, reposts/shares etc) or a plethora of other options. You're just being lazy.

Also, add a little (X) to the top right of each Upload, so while going through your Stream you can close songs listened to/don't care for. After scrolling down and down through the Stream, it begins demanding a large amount of computer resources. If I could close individual songs/uploads as I scroll through, there wouldn't even be an issue.

Please get it together. These have been issues for years now.
Nobody can't imagine a Twitter with a limit of followers.. Same here ! It is like you ignore this aspect of your own beautifull site !!!! How is possible team ??? Music today have so many differents genres.. This limit is really hard to live for soundcloud addict like me ! I stopped my pro subscription and stopped caming here during 4 months.. (lost half of my followers about 300)..and need to restart all from start. Today I'm really frustrate to be obliged to delete some people in favor of others.. Folllowing people who following me is a normal thing for me. THANKS A LOT SC TEAM ! YOU CASTRATED THE SHARING SPIRIT WITCH IS CLEARLY THE HEART OF SOUNDCLOUD !!!!! AND NOW A MAJORITY OF USERS HAVE MULTI ACCOUNT!

Sadly that choice from the team is a reality destined to last in the time !!!

Best regards !!! ___

ps: sorry for my english.. _
Userlevel 2
I like my feed infinite and chaotic please make it happen
Userlevel 2
Now obviously I'd like to organize my subscriptions too, but increasing the number is the first thing
Userlevel 2
Just hire me already lol
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for writing in to the Help Forum. I understand this is frustrating to you as a user who wants to connect with more users. The reason for this measure is to reduce stability issues related to following a large number of accounts (e.g. problems loading stream, followings page etc). This is a hard limit, which is applied to all members, with every type of account subscription.

We don't have plans to increase the limit however, I am happy to pass on your feedback to see if this is something we can consider in the future.

Best,
Gina

hello Gina, I totally understand SC's strategy for not allowing users to follow too many others, however I consistently run into accounts following more than 2000 like these account-https://soundcloud.com/kaizer-white or https://soundcloud.com/nishi-pink-hideki . the first account is actually following 1200 more than the "limit!" ...and this was just a quick search through my followers, there are many more.

Am I missing an explanation here? If it's a rule, it would be great if it was a consistent one, it might keep us whiny paying accounts more quiet ;-}

I agree with a cap, but it would be great if it was a little higher (like 3000 for basic pro accounts). I bet that would allow SC to sell more subscriptions as well. But back to the point: an answer to why some accounts are allowed to follow more than the limit would be appreciated.
Thanks,
JH
Userlevel 1
it shows them following 1808, but whatevs. the 2000 limit is pretty fucking dumb. and now Soundcloud has been gobbled up by mainstream and is blocking hella uploads because of copyright so downhill it goes.
Userlevel 1
Can't we write like a petition against this dumb following limit? I think more and more people find themselves in our situation every day and all we can do is just unfollowing people we don't want to unfollow? Could we just put an end to it?

I don't know english well so if a true english speaker read this, please at least try it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Nicholas,

Thanks for writing in to the Help Forum. I understand this is frustrating to you as a user who wants to connect with more users. The reason for this measure is to reduce stability issues related to following a large number of accounts (e.g. problems loading stream, followings page etc). This is a hard limit, which is applied to all members, with every type of account subscription.

We don't have plans to increase the limit however, I am happy to pass on your feedback to see if this is something we can consider in the future.

Best,
Gina

I have been with SC for 5 years pro account, I find the lack of some basic functions like cross referencing followers with following folders ridiculous, Paying customers should not have any limits on how many bands or people they want to follow ,that is the whole point of paying for an account STUPID. SC should listen to its paying customers. Also this reply "On another note, This limit has been in place for a very long time actually. Thus, we consider your query more as a feature request rather then a "problem", and since we've responded to your query, the topic has been set as "resolved". However, I do understand where the confusion is coming from, hence I've changed this to being a "question" that's been answered." is about as pathetic as it gets, If its a feature request that comes up time and time again then maybe perhaps just possibly it is a function that most people want
. You mention the limit has been in place for sometime now as if that has some bearing on its validity ? i fail to see your logic. We want to be able to compare our followers and following folders easily and we dont want a limit on how many people we can follow. How hard can that be ?
Why I am paying my hard earned money to have a "pro" account, and somehow I STILL can't follow over 2,000 people? I've been on Soundcloud for YEARS! People are starting to think I'm a bloody jerk because I won't follow them back. Is there a way to fix this!?

I agree, for people like myself, I follow people to advertise and market my work too...im not signed and people wont notice me if I dont follow them!
Userlevel 1
Soundcloud, you're full of shit...stop this dumbass 2000 follower limit. Unless you want people to continue using this service, WAKE THE FCK up
Userlevel 1
first you make it so LIKES aren't working, now you can't even follow more than 2000 people??? what, are there only 2000 people in the world?? there's BILLIONS of people and maybe hundreds of thousands on soundcloud alone!! wake the fck up!!
Why do I see SEVERAL accounts that allow them to have more than 2,000 following? There are more than a few in the groups I'm in.