Question

The preview text (incl track name) missing when I post a track to facebook.

• 3 February 2015
  • 6 replies

I've tried everything I can think of, and anytime I post my latest track to facebook, it shows no text, so there's no track name, or description of what the track is. just a thumbnail image from the release's graphic with a play arrow in the center, and that's all.

I've tried doing this from multiple computers, and haven't been able to find anyone online who's having the same problem.

I've tried de-bugging, and I've tried adding '?123' to the URL, and it keeps just showing only a picture and no words when I post the embedding url to my facebook status.

the only way I have gotten it to show the text, is when I've used the automatic post to facebook profile sharing button. I can't use this button to post to my facebook page, or to other people's walls.

Please help me if you can. I'm stumped.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Florian,

Thank you for visiting the Help Forum and apologies for the confusion caused. The player that you are seeing when you share from SC to FB is the newer HTML5 player. The focus is on the artwork. You can however write the title and track info in your fb post. Anyone that clicks on the player will be redirected to the track's page back on SoundCloud.

Hope that helps to clear things up a bit!

Best,
Gina
Hi Gina,

Unfortunately, this means that anyone who shares my track on facebook will also need to manually enter the title and track into the fb post, or people will have no idea what the link represents. This will strongly inhibit my ability to promote my music in social media.

Is there a way reverse this, and have the text shown in the link preview when I post on facebook? I will likely otherwise need to find a different place to have my music hosted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Gina,

Unfortunately, this means that anyone who shares my track on facebook will also need to manually enter the title and track into the fb post, or people will have no idea what the link represents. This will strongly inhibit my ability to promote my music in social media.

Is there a way reverse this, and have the text shown in the link preview when I post on facebook? I will likely otherwise need to find a different place to have my music hosted.

Hi there Florian,

Thank you for writing back. I believe you're referring to the track description from SoundCloud to show on Facebook, correct? If so, then I'm afraid this is not something that's controlled from our end, as this part of the embed sits on Facebook's end.

However, I must say - and this is purely a subject to opinion 😉 - I barely listen to posts that are shared by my connected friends on Facebook when then don't provide their own opinion, i.e. provide a brief comment on what's to come.

Either way, I'll make sure to forward your query about this to the relevant product team for them to see is this is something that can be taken into consideration in the future. Thanks again for sharing your point of view.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi Gina,

I imagine that something could be changed on Soundcloud's end, as the vast majority of similar websites still show preview text information. I would be surprised if no change could be made to the player, to cause the text preview to function well. I don't understand why the text preview works fine when I use the automatic share to facebook profile function, but doesn't work with the provided embedding URL. This suggests, that it can work if I had the proper embed code to make it happen.

In my opinion, it is very important for the simple descriptive text to automatically show up in a facebook post, so I don't have to rely on each individual person who shares my music, to manually add in the information about the track fully, and accurately, every time.

I personally consider this to be a major bug, and may have to move off of Soundcloud to ensure that my music can be promoted clearly and professionally on facebook.
Hi Gina,

I had my graphic designer adjust the text in the image, to work with your thumbnail cropping, to include text in the preview image, which helps make up for the lack of a text preview.

This will work for me now. I hope this is changed somehow in the future on your end.

Thanks
Hi Gina,

Something similar happened to me. The text is showing; however I misspelled the text and since then I have edited it. Whenever I post to Facebook, the misspelling is still there in the text. It is changed on Soundcloud but how come the change isn't effective when I share?