Question

URGENT- PLEASE HELP!!!! Problem Playing Embedded Track After Pausing

• 9 March 2016
  • 6 replies

Hi, I'm having a serious problem that I really hope you can help with.

I use SoundCloud for audio recordings for online classes for a small business school I operate.

When a student pauses a track that's embedded in our secure online learning center where the course content is stored, here's what happens:
1. A link comes up that says "Hear More On SoundCloud." There is no option to unpause or resume playing the track.
2. When you follow the link, it takes the student to a page that includes numerous old and junky private audio's from my band rehearsal sessions!

Can anyone please tell me why this is happening?

Students must be able to PAUSE and then UNPAUSE the audio without being redirected to another page. How can I adjust the settings so this is the case?

And, when a student lands on the page where the band recordings are, why are they able to see and play them, despite the fact that they are all marked as "private"?

I have 50+ students who now get redirected to my junky, private band recordings. :(

I really hope you can help with this.

Thank youvery much

Jason

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Jason,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you are using your old account for your business class then I highly recommend starting a separate profile for this. Hitting pause will always give a hint to users to check out what else the profile has to offer. Alternatively, you could make the tracks you don't want heard private (if they are your own uploaded tracks) and this content should be private. You said the students could still hear your private tracks, could you please give me your url so that I can investigate this?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Gina
Hi Gina,

Thanks for getting right back to me. This really does need to be fixed right away, so your prompt communication is very much appreciated.

For starters, do you offer phone or chat support?

Yes, my students can play the tracks marked as "private". But, they can play these tracks only AFTER they click the "Hear More On SoundCloud" link and are subsequently directed to my my Soundcloud page. In other words, they don't have the option of playing the private tracks when they are on my actual website, and can only do so on my SoundCloud page. Therefore, there's no need to provide you with the page that the player is installed on because that's not relevant (fyi - it's on a password protect website for student access only).

When a student clicks on the "Hear More On SoundCloud" link that's on my web page, this is the page they are taken to: https://soundcloud.com/jasonpug.

As you will see, the tracks are all "privtae", but once the student is there, he/she can play any of them. How can I fix this? Is there a way to make it so the student can play only the track that they were originally listening to? Is there a way, for example, to set up a playlist that a student would be directed to when they click on the link, in which case the playlist would only contain tracks I select?

As an alternative, in terms of a business class account, what would be involved with setting this up? Would I have to re-upload all the audio tracks and set up new embed codes? Can you send me a link for further information?

Thank you very much.

Jason
Soundcloud TOTALLY SUCKS for doing this to my service. I transferred all my tracks over to another service today, and, after being your customer for about two years, I will FOREVER talk about how you stiffed me with your service. YOU SUCK - I HAVE BEEN PAYING YOU $180 PER YEAR, AND YOU TOTALLY SCREW UP MY SERVICE TO PROMOTE YOURSELVES - YOU SUCK SOUNDCLOUD, AND EVERYONE I KNOW WILL KNOW THIS!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Jason,

Thanks for getting in touch. If you are using your old account for your business class then I highly recommend starting a separate profile for this. Hitting pause will always give a hint to users to check out what else the profile has to offer. Alternatively, you could make the tracks you don't want heard private (if they are your own uploaded tracks) and this content should be private. You said the students could still hear your private tracks, could you please give me your url so that I can investigate this?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks,
Gina

That happens with the program every day I get followers and I have the same, please can help me is over 5 months with the same problem.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Jason,

a) Are your students on a device on which you might be signed in to your account? Once a track is set to private, it will only show for you as the uploader. If this is not the case and still anyone can access your private tracks, then I would like to investigate this further. In this case, please let me know an example track that you've embedded. I will then try and reproduce this by embedding the track on a HTML test page.

b) The overlay image that suggests users to listen to more tracks on SoundCloud has an "x" in the upper right corner - this will close the overlay and your students will be able to continue listening on the embed.

Looking forward to hearing from you again.

Cheers
Mathis
Hello, I have this problem too. However, I have seen some other sites that just let you stop the SoundCloud song and restart it, without going to the overlay screen. Since I've seen it, there must be another embed code - I'm wondering what it is?

John