Question

What are the implications of hiding tracks in my RSS feed?

• 19 November 2014
  • 5 replies

Hi folks,

I have a question that I hope someone can help answer. Our Soundcloud account hosts tracks that are a mix of content -- either Q&A interviews, podcasts episodes, audio inserts into written content on our website, content in different languages. I am trying to create a feed of only our monthly podcasts for iTunes. I thought that I would only select the 8 (out of 130+) tracks that are actually podcasts as being contained in the podcast RSS feed. Is that the right approach to do this? What are the implications of removing tracks from the RSS feed? Does this affect what our followers receive? Also if we wanted to create a different podcast series (say our Q&A interviews) in future how would we go about this?

Actually, that is a lot of questions...

Any help gratefully received!

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew Lee
Head of digital, SciDev.Net

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Andy,

Thank you for those questions, happy to help here. Now, let's see.

1. Yes, if you only want specific tracks to be included in your RSS feed, please make sure that "Include in RSS feed" is disabled in the other track's edit mode (http://cl.ly/image/1O3p2a1D1P37).
2. Removing tracks from the RSS feed will affect the feed immediately, however if you've submitted your feed to iTunes, they might need a while (usually between 24-48hrs max) for this to be reflected on iTunes.
3. If you want to have another Podcast, you can currently achieve this with SoundCloud as your host only by creating a secondary SoundCloud account.

Hope this helps! Feel free to let us know here if you have further questions.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi Mathis,

Thanks that is very useful. One thing I wanted to also ascertain was whether only having 8 tracks in our RSS feed means that the other 120+ pieces of audio we have on SoundCloud will suddenly not be available to our followers? Or is the RSS feed only used for iTune distribution?

Cheers,
Andy
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Andy,

Oh ok, sorry I didn't comment on this in the first place. Your content on SoundCloud will remain available on your public profile, no doubt. The setting I mentioned earlier only applies to the RSS feed as such.

However, someone who subscribes to your podcast on iTunes or uses a different app to subscribe to your feed (for instance, if you make the full RSS url available somewhere else), they would only see the 8 tracks that you have chosen to include into your feed.

To make the distinction between the tracks on your profile and those included in your RSS feed a bit clearer, try the following: copy and paste the RSS feed URL directly into the address field of your web browser and hit enter. You'll now see a whole lot of "code".

Each "item" stands for a track in your feed. If you have set 8 tracks out of 120+ to be included in the feed, you will see 8 instances of <item> ... </item>.

Does that make things a bit clearer?

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi Mathis, Thanks, yes I am familiar with RSS feeds, it was more how they are used by SoundCloud and implications for what they feed into. In this case only for external podcasting. All good! Thanks, Andy
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Mathis, Thanks, yes I am familiar with RSS feeds, it was more how they are used by SoundCloud and implications for what they feed into. In this case only for external podcasting. All good! Thanks, Andy
Awesome stuff - thanks for the update on that. It is always difficult to tell each user's expertise & familiarity with such things, so I tend to share more information just in case ;-)

Happy SoundClouding & Podcasting then!

Cheers,
Mathis