Question

Why did you remove private sharing to followers, followed people?

• 14 December 2014
  • 14 replies

Why has this been removed? This is one of the main tools for artists to share work and get exposure. Why are you against artists sharing and making people aware of new releases?

14 replies

Userlevel 6
Hi Dave909.

Thanks for visiting the help forums.

Just picked up on this particular query as, whilst I don't use this particular feature myself, I wasn't aware it had been removed. The whole point of Soundcloud is so artists can share out new sounds, they are certainly not against it

I've just uploaded a quick test track to my own profile to check it out & was certainly given the option to make it private & have sent it in a message to another user who follows me & I follow them so, as far as I can see, its a feature thats still available & useable.

Could you maybe provide a little more info on this at all? Do you not get the option to set a track as private or do you select it & it remains public? I know it may be a little bit of a pain to do but if you could provide the steps you're taking once you've started to upload a new sound & where you are hitting the problem. Any error message, what platform are you using at the time (i.e pc browser, app, etc) details of your platform's OS, browser, screen shots (these are very handy is possible).....the more info you can fire this way the better so we can try & clarify the nature of the issue/

Many thanks

DJ R.I.P
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. You are certainly right that we are still able to privately share a song to someone but the difference with before is that now it _s indeed just that, one person where we could share a private song to our complete following and all the people we follow before. While sending a song to a single person might be useful for some who just occasionally share and/or release music it doesn _t really work for a musician who wants to notify their complete following of a new release. Ofcourse there _s the stream but noone will be having an eye on the stream constantly. This results in not knowing about other artists releases either. This change kinda puts your profile on a pretty desolate island which needs people to actively visit it to know whats up. Did i explain this right?
Userlevel 6
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. You are certainly right that we are still able to privately share a song to someone but the difference with before is that now it _s indeed just that, one person where we could share a private song to our complete following and all the people we follow before. While sending a song to a single person might be useful for some who just occasionally share and/or release music it doesn _t really work for a musician who wants to notify their complete following of a new release. Ofcourse there _s the stream but noone will be having an eye on the stream constantly. This results in not knowing about other artists releases either. This change kinda puts your profile on a pretty desolate island which needs people to actively visit it to know whats up. Did i explain this right?

Hi again Dave,

Thanks for the clarification, appreciate it, thats made the issue a little clearer now.

So, if I understand what you are saying, previously you could choose to send a private link in a message to all of your followers or people you follow in one go, not having to individually add each person you want to send that private sound to.

I will run this past Gina & Mathis, the main Help Forum guys, to get a more official answer but my personal thought is that this may possibly be tied in with steps that have had to be taken to prevent spam messages as much as possible & I know "bulk messaging" is not currently possible as a spamming prevention measure.

I could be wrong on this matter so I will fire it at the mods for clarification.

Thanks again for replying

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Hi,

Thanks! Yeah you got it! I understand there _s a fine line between spamming and notifying and this is a problem for you guys indeed. Glad to know you are taking it in concideration.

Grtz,
Dave
Userlevel 6
Hi,

Your welcome mate, no worries :)

Mathis & Gina won't be online until tomorrow but as soon as get an official response, either they will post it on here or I will.

Completely understand where you coming from regarding the fine line between spam & genuine messaging, the usual case that the idiot minority, due to their actions & mis-use of the system, make things more difficult for genuine users like yourself, but I think it had been getting quite a problem, been the recipient of more than a few spam messages myself, but they seem to be fewer & further between now.

Take it easy

DJ R.I.P
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hey Dave909,

DJ R.I.P is absolutely right about this.

We disabled this feature for a number of reasons. The most prominent being that a lot of users were providing feedback about people abusing this feature, and sending tracks to people who were not interested in receiving them. This placed tracks on Streams that could not be removed and caused a lot of confusion.

Secret links are reliable and quick to use. Using our internal messaging system to share to listeners means that only they will be able to view it when logged into their account, much like how it was when the track was in the Stream. However, now they can go back and reference it over and over again without having to scroll through the Stream. You can also have a dialogue about the track or playlist, and start a conversation which couldn't be done through the Stream.

If you would like to share to all of your followers, we do recommend sharing the track publicly. This way it is guaranteed to be pushed to everyone's Streams. Additionally, your followers can from there repost your public track to their own profile and Stream. This way, their own followers will be able to discover and listen to your music as well, gaining you new fans and followers.

Probably a lot of stuff you already knew about in one way or another, but I hope it helped to shed further light on this.

Cheers,
Mathis
Userlevel 6
HI there,

Thanks to Mathis for clarifying it.

Apologies Dave that its probably not what you were hoping to hear. I would second Mathis recommendation though regarding public sharing of your tracks. I understand the concern that some people in your following may possibly miss out but it only takes one or 2 of your followers, who in turn have a large following themselves, to share one of your tracks and the rate of plays and additional shares could increase expidentially, not forgetting more followers as well and the possibility of shares further out from soundcloud on social media & blogs, it's certainly worth considering :)

Take it easy

DJ R.I.P
So we have no option to share to OUR FOLLOWERS.....yet people can repost music constantly, from people i don't even know or want to hear about and clog up our streams with people we don't follow? and i have to sit for an hour or two hand picking each follower? if people didn't want to hear it. they wouldn't follow us, but now with all the stupid clutter of reposts, our own followers never hear our music... sound cloud...did you know that your new app is horrible....your new site is horrible.....and as a person who has been paying for a premium membership for years...im about to seriously start a strike on your site....you have been doing nothing but disappointing the musicians who came to this site to have an outlet for their music. for example i tried to log into your site from my phone today. heard a song i enjoyed but couldn't even leave a f'in comment...then went to the app to do it AND COULDNT DO IT THERE!!! i don't get notifications on the app anymore about anything that happens on my account.... WTF IS THE POINT OF PAYING YOU?!?!?! so you can host my stuff?? dropbox....hosts....my stuff...... i will stop paying and go someplace else if this does not change I PROMISE YOU THAT.....and i will raise my voice about it on several other social networks. you people are thieves as far as I'm concerned
Userlevel 6
So we have no option to share to OUR FOLLOWERS.....yet people can repost music constantly, from people i don't even know or want to hear about and clog up our streams with people we don't follow? and i have to sit for an hour or two hand picking each follower? if people didn't want to hear it. they wouldn't follow us, but now with all the stupid clutter of reposts, our own followers never hear our music... sound cloud...did you know that your new app is horrible....your new site is horrible.....and as a person who has been paying for a premium membership for years...im about to seriously start a strike on your site....you have been doing nothing but disappointing the musicians who came to this site to have an outlet for their music. for example i tried to log into your site from my phone today. heard a song i enjoyed but couldn't even leave a f'in comment...then went to the app to do it AND COULDNT DO IT THERE!!! i don't get notifications on the app anymore about anything that happens on my account.... WTF IS THE POINT OF PAYING YOU?!?!?! so you can host my stuff?? dropbox....hosts....my stuff...... i will stop paying and go someplace else if this does not change I PROMISE YOU THAT.....and i will raise my voice about it on several other social networks. you people are thieves as far as I'm concerned
HI Krazy Josifer,

Thanks for adding your input to this.

I kind of understand where you are coming from but just wanted to add my own thoughts, Im not starting an argument as everyone is entitled to their own opinions so please dont take any of what I say as being inflammatory or having a go, just my opinion.

Sharing can be seen as a bit of a double edged sword on occasions, depending on the people who you follow. Some people like to share sounds a lot, others don't. But these shares that appear in your stream are from the people you follow on soundcloud, not the other way around & not from people you don't know or follow. On this point, a feature request is the best route to take, suggesting the ability to opt for what shows in your stream each time you follow another artist (choose whether you get just their uploads or their uploads & their shares as well). The other edge to the "share sword" is it that is can work for you as an artist to have your sounds shared by people who follow you. Then the people who follow your follower (if that makes sense!) then get to hear your sounds, they could then share it out further, potentially gaining you more listeners and followers.

Sharing in the main is a really good thing, I personally am a fan & have utilised it myself as well as had my own tracks shared out. I've found new producers I wasnt aware of before thanks to other users shares. It can be a little bit karmic, especially where you may have the situation that you follow one of your followers, they share your track out, you then share theirs or visa versa and it starts to work like a kind of mutual self promotion, you potentially get further shares from your follower's followers and, again, visa versa. Certainly, each to their own, you're not a fan & I understand your reasons for that. The info regarding feature requests that I mentioned earlier can be found here:

https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/about-feature-requests

As far as not being able to comment on someones track, its possible that the artist may have disabled comments on their track for whatever reason, the fact that issue went via 2 platforms (assuming mobile browser to mobile app) could suggest this but would really need a link to that track to be able to definitively answer that one.

As far as notifications from your app, thats a little outside of my own personal knowledge as I purely use soundcloud from my PC & laptop (I don't work for Soundcloud, am a user of the platform like yourself). I will give Gina & Mathis a heads up regarding this enquiry as they will be better placed & more knowledgeable than myself on that front. Could I just ask if you could advise which mobile app you use (apple, android) as that will just help them narrow down.

Thanks for taking the time to visit the help forums, I will just give Gina & Mathis (the main Soundcloud Help Forum guys) the heads up for when they are online on Monday.

Hope this helps clarify things for you :)

Regards

DJ R.I.P
Hi, we use soundcloud to make demos and we used to have a link on the app ( iphone) to send them as a message, private link. I can't find that link on my Iphone either on mi Ipad. I used it 3 days ago and it was quite difficult to find, but the link was still there and also was an option for making it shorter as well. The main reason we pay monthly is because of that feature. Are you going to make that work again? Otherwise there's no point for us to keep paying for something that we don't use for other purposes. Looking forwars to your answer,Many thanks.
My biggest issue has been the removal of the list of people I follow from the mobile app. Thats the feature I used the most when using SoundCloud. With just a couple thumb taps, I could see each artist I followed, quickly browse through their music. The way the new app works, I have to go into the "search" tab, and enter the artists name. I cant remember all those names. Please bring this feature back to mobile. I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
Hey Dave909,

DJ R.I.P is absolutely right about this.

We disabled this feature for a number of reasons. The most prominent being that a lot of users were providing feedback about people abusing this feature, and sending tracks to people who were not interested in receiving them. This placed tracks on Streams that could not be removed and caused a lot of confusion.

Secret links are reliable and quick to use. Using our internal messaging system to share to listeners means that only they will be able to view it when logged into their account, much like how it was when the track was in the Stream. However, now they can go back and reference it over and over again without having to scroll through the Stream. You can also have a dialogue about the track or playlist, and start a conversation which couldn't be done through the Stream.

If you would like to share to all of your followers, we do recommend sharing the track publicly. This way it is guaranteed to be pushed to everyone's Streams. Additionally, your followers can from there repost your public track to their own profile and Stream. This way, their own followers will be able to discover and listen to your music as well, gaining you new fans and followers.

Probably a lot of stuff you already knew about in one way or another, but I hope it helped to shed further light on this.

Cheers,
Mathis

"The most prominent being that a lot of users were providing feedback about people abusing this feature, and sending tracks to people who were not interested in receiving them."

load of rubbish.

If someone doesnt want to receive your tracks privately then all they have to do is UN FOLLOW you!!!

The site is full of spam and bots anyway!!!!!! all youve done by taking this away is ruin it for small labels and artists who are targeting small groups of followers. You should try sending out private links one by one to a couple thousand followers, you think thats a quick/easy process?

bring back private share to ALL followers! youre ripping off the people that pay for pro accounts!! and youll win back a lot of people who are already looking for the 'next soundcloud'
Awww thats a shame.

I got one mix (out of like, 40 uploads acorss 5 years) that I want to share to my followers first.

Is it correct that I cant do this?

😞
Super lame soundcloud. You've pulled a facebook with this one. Followers are almost useless at this point. I used to get a lot more people listening to my tracks and purchasing from the sight when you actually allowed me to email all my followers. Why not just have an option for followers to uncheck a box that they do not want to receive updates but still want to follow an artist. Otherwise just let them unfollow an artist if they don't want updates. You guys killed it for me.