Follower count not growing explained

Userlevel 3
Hi,

If you get several notices of new Followers however your count is staying the same please read the following carefully.

The perception of followers not growing comes because we send notifications when people follow you, but not when users 'unfollow' you. This means in the same time that people follow you (which you're notified for), other followers may have un-followed you, which would lead your followers count not increasing by the amount that you were notified for.

Additionally, there are users paying for promotional services and fake Followers on SoundCloud. When a user pays for a fake Follow, a spam account is created that follows this user. That same account then follows other accounts on SoundCloud to appear legitimate. This is violating our Terms of Use. Our Trust and Safety team detects these users and removes their accounts along with the fake spam accounts.

The problem is that there is a delay for this action to have an effect on all the accounts the spam account followed meaning that the actual number of your Followers will take time to adjust while our system reverts all Follow actions made by the spam account.

An important note on the severity of spam: we remove 1,000's of spam accounts daily which has a huge impact on user followings.

How do you know if your account is being followed by Spam accounts? Take a good look at your Followers. Do you see many blank accounts? Accounts with no image or a username like User1234455? Also, do you see patterns in the images such as images provocative in nature? These are likely spam accounts. You can help us detect these fake accounts quicker by blocking and reporting them.

Our team is working hard to make the actions of spam accounts revert immediately to decrease the misconception of stuck followers.

Thank you for your reading. We will continue to monitor this issue closely.

-Mathis and Gina

81 replies

Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Followers bug (NOT FIXED).

SoundCloud reps keep claiming they have fixed problems with account Followers. However, since December 19th last year, nearly SIX WEEKS now, they were informed how the listing of Followers scrambles to a different order daily (if not several times per day) at my wife's and my site, leaving it unrelated to any chronology. This shifting around involves the short list on the right in Notifications of 7 most recent followers as well.

What this creates is an inability for an artist to know who has newly followed you so that you can listen to and opt to follow them back. Despite persistent requests for this to be fixed and to find out WHY the jumbling up is even happening, NOTHING has been corrected in all this time. One rep claimed that our Followers lists have "never been in chronological order," which we know is completely untrue. For weeks now, the same Follower has appeared in the uppermost left slot, where before December 19th it always displayed the account's most recent follower. Same thing, the bottommost right slot always had our accounts' very first follower showing there, but now that slot shifts around daily among different users.

What possible excuse is there for the SC software NOT to use chronology for such listings and stats? Who is served by changing the order up randomly hour after hour? NO ONE is served by that nonsense, and it takes extra programming effort to make the software do this. Not the way Pro account money should be spent.
Userlevel 5
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Follower Count is NOT ACCURATE..

There is undoubtedly something really wrong with the Followers count. I just got a new follower from a Real person just now and it did not reflect. I also lost 5 followers in the span of an hour. I seem to be stuck at around 1111 followers...Every time I increase beyond this number in the past few weeks I suddenly drop in follower numbers around that mark. I wake up in the morning with 5 or 6 new followers and my follower number is sometimes even less than the night before. Soundcloud used to be incredibly solid.

I am a paid user and this caused me to not renew my subscription. If things are sorted out regarding stats , I will definitely reassess and possibly renew, until then, I cannot pay for this.

thanks
Lou
Userlevel 5
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled FOLLOWERS ARE Not CALCULATING!!!!! THEY ARE DECREASING IN INCREMENTS OF 5!!.

Ok, i have been super polite and patient.. provided details and examples that my follower counter is absolutely defective. Every time i Exceed 1111 followers i get up to about 1115 followers and in the next morning i wake up to 4 or 5 less followers..this happens NIGHTLY. Please stop ignoring me and let me know that you are at least looking into this SERIOUS problem with your service. I have cancelled my subscription until this is rectified. Thank you.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Gaining followers, then losing them.

Alright, so I released a song with a record label, it gets a lot of hits, and then a lot of people follow me. I gained like 30 some followers over night, I had 1,717 followers, and then it dropped to 1,652, when I refreshed the page. Why does it do this? It keeps going back to this number. It's done it like 3 times this week. I got to 1,680 one time, and it reset to 1,652.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Follower count now going up?.

I started my Soundcloud account earlier this year and I've been at the 220 to 224 follower mark for weeks now, even though I'm getting new followers pretty regularly. It seems as though the count on my page is not updating or something like that and I need a solution to this problem pretty urgently. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I get new followers almost everyday, yet the number decreases, what's going on?.

It's really odd that every time I get a notification from getting a couple more followers, I see the total number of them decreases. Whyy? 😞
Userlevel 5
Could we then have the option to get notified for unfollowers then? I think that would be a logical solution. I'm interested in hearing some thoughts about this. That way there is no more mystery. Users could see an unfollower and confirm that it is a spam account.

Thanks,
Lou
Userlevel 1
Gio Trax wrote:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I get new followers almost everyday, yet the number decreases, what's going on?.

It's really odd that every time I get a notification from getting a couple more followers, I see the total number of them decreases. Whyy? :(

We were told months ago that SC was NO LONGER SENDING NOTIFICATIONS of new followers, and indeed they haven't been doing this for months (maybe over a year)! So why do some get notifications while others do not?
Userlevel 1
Louie Showers wrote:

Could we then have the option to get notified for unfollowers then? I think that would be a logical solution. I'm interested in hearing some thoughts about this. That way there is no more mystery. Users could see an unfollower and confirm that it is a spam account.

Thanks,
Lou

I'll second that. Of course it would be nice to get notifications of new followers again, too. We lost that option months ago. I don't know why some do get notifications while others do not?
Userlevel 5
This has been happening again pretty drastically for the past few days. I thought it was fixed as my numbers were growing and now it is hovering around a certain number. I noticed at least three today, with no increase in follower count. Why doesn't twitter have any problems with accurate and real time follower counting? Also I strongly believe that followers should be listed chronologically for reasons already discussed. This randomization of followers is useless and over complicating a very basic feature of social media.
Soundcloud claims that this issue is due to people unfollowing us... Then howcome every time I gain a new follower, my count goes down? This is ridiculous. Looks like a lot of people have been experiencing the same issues. I have gained 12 followers in 2 days, yet my count has decreased by about 10. These bugs need to be addressed... soundcloud is slacking HARD.
LOL !!!!
How long the idiots will believe you!?
No fake followers because i talk with us lol !!

6 months ago on this forum:
"Profiles that follow me this last days but disappear in my followers:
Cinematique Instruments, Sean Beeson, Dustin Crenna | Composer, Nabil Elvaz, Manuel Igler, alexpfeffer, (and all those i don't remember since 7/8months!!)

For Robert Slump: "hey Max! I can see you in my following feed, i can also see that i am following you as well.
I did turn it off and back on just now.. does that work?"
Dustin Crenna: "No problem, it shows that i'm still following you. Hope this helps!"

https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/not-solved-followers-not-growing

i'm not moaning for followers count, I'm really not happy because of your behavior!
Followers number got stuck at 295 more than three weeks ago, while a lot of new people started to follow. Is there anything we can do or just PRAY? It is really annoying, especially when paying a PRO subscription monthly for two years. Please take your time to fix this. Thanks
Hi! When the bug with the follower number will be fixed?
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Bit bemused. Many months now and none of the actual people who ask to follow show....

I'm a bit bemused why for many months now none of the actual people who ask to follow me show up as followers? I've been on here for a long time and am a Premium member. Anyone know why?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my coments to my tracks have dissapeared ? in the last few days.

most of my well earnt comments have dissapeared over the past few days ?
Looks like it's happening to everyone. Probably because SC might get shut down. They refuse to address the issue with anything other than lies, knowing full well that this is an ongoing problem..
Userlevel 1
This has happened a number of times in just the past few months: If my Followers count goes down due to his/her account no longer existing at SC, the Following total does NOT follow suit and go down, too, when the departed user was also someone I had followed back. That count often stays static while the Followers always goes down.
I've checked mine, and 4 other friends followers for the past few days, they havent moved even though were all getting alot of new follows, dont lie to us SC
this is complete bull crap. something is obviously wrong with your website...we are all having the same friggin issue here. Please Just fix this issue its driving us insane
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Soundcloud is showning my follows wrong..

Soundcloud is showning my follows wrong. I follow 60 people but it shows 664. What can i do?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled why did my followers disappear.

followers dropped overnight
It has been two weeks now! And my follower count is stuck on 206, even though I get notified of new followers it's still stuck on that same number. This is getting frustrating. Is soundcloud even making any progress in fixing this?
Thank Goodness, my follower counts started growing normally. I appreciate whatever you guys did
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled FOLLOWERS NOT ADDING TO "FOLLOWER COUNT" GLITCH/BUG.

for 2 years i have posted regularly and built a healthy and steady growth of genuine followers ,i have NEVER engaged in any scams, or paid for fake followers ,likes,plays,reposts , my follower profiles speak for themselves , but since november my follower account has been stuck in absurd and perculier fashion ,despite getting regular notifications of new followers my follower TOTAL has fluctuated between 1,321 on Oct 21st 2015 to 1,332 on Feb 18th 2016 , SO WHY IS THIS HAPPENING PLEASE ?? i understanned people "unfollow" but this development over 4 months is cause for concern , i do hope there is an explanation for this , thankyou 🙂

day