How does our Search feature work?

Userlevel 3
Why do some profiles or tracks display on top of Search results? Why

Our Search function is dependent on an algorithm we call 'DiscoRank' (short for Discovery Ranking). DiscoRank pulls the search results based upon a variety of variables such as the wording of your search, the content of your track and profile descriptions and the popularity of profiles.

All of these factors work together to give the most popular and relevant results for a search. This is why, for example, if an exact Profile URL was put into search (maybe your own), there may be profiles which have a wider network of popularity which will rank higher than an exact word match.

If you would like to give feedback on this feature then please get in touch here.

Cheers,
Gina and Mathis

49 replies

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled What should I do to appear at the top of the list when I tipe for my nickname?.

When I try searching myself on soundcloud, my profile is at the end of the list. I'm VECTOR (soundcloud.com/vector) and there are a lot of other users with this nickname, what should I do to appear at the top of the list when I tipe for ''VECTOR''? Thank you! Greetings from Italy 🙂
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Not finding my own account when searching for it on soundcloud.

Hi all,
I have two accounts on Soundcloud and both not finding when I search for them on souncloud.
What's wrong? Please help me with this.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My SoundCloud account doesn't appear when i right my name on sound cloud searchin....

My SoundCloud account doesn't appear when i right my name on sound cloud searching spotlight. What is wrong?

My url is https://soundcloud.com/igor-c-silva-1 .

Thanks,

Igor
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Hi When i search myself as Ivy Ray i dont come up neither do my tracks why is t....

Im not showing up in a search Help! I just opened an acount Ivy Ray and uploaded to tracks. Im on my page, tracks play all is good. Though tested and search myself just as Ivy Ray and I dont show up Why is this? Pls help many thanks
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I uploaded a song with the hashtag #FLSong and it does not appear in that categor....

I uploaded a song with the hashtag #FLSong and it does not appear in that category or collection. Any ideas, suggestions?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my music cant be searched when i put the name in search bar.

i uploaded a new song happy birthday flirt but it doesnt come in search bar under happy birthday or even when i put the whole title in search engine.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled can you make it so you can search your own profile? instead of all of soundcloud,....

Could you make it so you can search your soundcloud profile instead of all of soundcloud
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My name doesn't appear at all when I put my name in the search engine.

My name doesn't appear at all when I put my name in the search engine
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled when you search my display name is doesn't come up, it only comes up if you write....

when you search my display name which is 'AZÜRA' is doesn't come up, it only comes up if you write my actual name which is Sammy McGlashan? how do i change this so that people can find me by the name AZÜRA
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My Profile does not show up in Search.

When I search for “Odd Beat” my profile does not appear. But instead of my profile i see other profiles with similar names.

Can someone help me ensure my profile shows in the Search?

Best

Odd Beat
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled search engine hard to find everything.

Hi,

Why is the souncloud search engine so hard to work with?
For example: looking for an hashtag it will display by most popular. What does it matter if is the most popular? I want to hear the newest ones or the ones with more reposts...
also written on search field will not display what im looking for, most of the times...
any tip?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thpthpthp wrote:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I find music on this website?.

I'm sure that I'm missing something because it seems like my only options for finding music to listen to is: the top 50 of a genre, the most recently uploaded in a genre, and tracks with _X word in their name. For instance searching "rock" only brings up artists & songs with the word rock in their name. Surely there must be a better way to discover music than that?

Hi there,

Please see the original post to learn more about our search engine. I've also forwarded your feedback / query to the relevant product team for reference.

Best
Mathis
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I find music on this website?.

I'm sure that I'm missing something because it seems like my only options for finding music to listen to is: the top 50 of a genre, the most recently uploaded in a genre, and tracks with _X word in their name. For instance searching "rock" only brings up artists & songs with the word rock in their name. Surely there must be a better way to discover music than that?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my artist name does not show up in the search bar, but other names who are simila....

my artist profil does not show up in the search bar, but other artist with similar names are shown, whats going on?

type in "Martin Lewis" in the search bar and I am not shown, althougho I have 5 vinyl releases and so on. my soundcloudurl is soundcloud.com/martinlewis

what am I doing wrong
see screenshot

please help and make the search engine right!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my cover picture doesn't appear when I search my profil without account.

I have uploaded a cover picture (the one on the top), it doesn't appear when I search my account name ROANAH in search bar. However it's appearing when I search from google "ROANAH soundcloud" and when I send my profile link to friends.

But the link in the adress bar is always the same: https://soundcloud.com/roanah

I have cleaned my browser cache but it doesn't changed anything.

When I created my account I changed my url https://soundcloud.com/ugo-r to https://soundcloud.com/roanah

It's really weird, does somebody know anything about it ?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Profile Disappears OFTEN.

Often when I click links to my playlist, a particular song, or my profile it is unavailable, and says it can't be found. This also happens from the Google result link. It has happened several times from multiple different devices, and others have not been able to access my profile through shared links. This has been happening consistently for the past few weeks, and seriously limits music exposure. There's also been times that I couldn't log in.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I don't find my page when I enter the name of my page in the soundcloud search ba....

I've a pro account, and when I try to looking for my own page on soundcloud, I can find.. The only way to find my page is to enter my full name, Jimmy Delavay.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Problem searching artist's name (SIDEWALKS AND SKELETONS).

On the mobile app there is a problem I have had for quite some time now. The artist's name is SIDEWALKS AND SKELETONS and every time I have attempted to search and click on this artist's profile it will shutdown/kick me out of the app. I do not have this problem with the website only on the app and this has only happened to me when searching this artist and no other. I am wondering if this is just me, if it is a problem with the app it's self, or the artist's account. If you could look into this and fix it then that would be great. Thanks!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My profile doesn't come up when followers search my name....

I've had several followers try to find my profile by searching my name in the search bar and it doesn't come up in the results; they've instead resorted to searching my song titles and this has worked. Any ideas? Being un-searchable isn't good news 😕
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My profile doesn't appear properly in soundcloud search.

When someone searches my username "Dersu" my profile doesn't come up at all in the list of matches. Only when you type "Dersu Rhodes" does it come up. I would really appreciate it if searching "Dersu" pulled up my profile, as I do feel my profile is relevant to be part of the results. Thanks so much!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I Pay for soundcloud pro and i have more followers than everyone with the same na....

I Pay for soundcloud pro and i have more followers than everyone with the same name. When searching for my name, numerous accounts with far less followers are above me. i think this is kinda ridiculous considering i have the most followers and soundcloud pro.please help fix
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Search results.

I pay for "soundcloud pro", i have more followers than every person with the same name, and I still come up like 8th in the search results. I don't really understand why since I'm soundcloud pro and I have more followers than everyone with the same name. This is actually quite ridiculous. Please fix immediately
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Search SNOWBUNNY & nothing related to me comes up. If you search SNOWBUNNY plus t....

My band name is SNOWBUNNY & I have recently posted 11 songs with a free acct. If you search SNOWBUNNY nothing related to me comes up. If you search SNOWBUNNY plus the song titles it does. What is the problem?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled when i search for my podcast it does not come up in your search engine even thoug....
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled PRO User - profile search (My profile at the bottom of searches????).

Hi,

I have been a PRO user for a few years now.

I have posted around 80 original tracks and have nearly 1000 people following me. my problem is when someone (or myself even) searches my name it is located almost at the bottom of the search page (with multiple people on free accounts prioritized ahead of me)

I know it might seem strange but I thought the fact I have to PAY Soundcloud money every month to upload MY music they they would actually look after me and make it easier for people to find me (not harder) feeling very frustrated and are just about ready to pull my account completely.

Regards

TBÜ_N