Removing the onsite Record feature

I would like to share some news with you. The feature to record inside your web browser was built over 7 years ago with Adobe Flash. Adobe Flash is soon to be deprecated, and it no longer makes sense to continue offering the existing feature as is. Thus, we’re removing the option to record inside the web browser.

Why are we not replacing it?

We feel the existing options out there to record audio on your desktop computer are far more advanced than the simple record feature that we provided, and many apps offer a direct SoundCloud integration to upload right from inside your audio software. Once you have made your recording and edited it to your liking, all you need to do is upload it to SoundCloud. Additionally, removing the record feature and not replacing it will free up valuable resources to stay focused on our strengths.

If you have feedback regarding this change, please let us know in a reply below.

Cheers,
- Tiffany

29 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
seems like a logical change. Thanks for the update
Well, I noticed the Record button started disappearing on certain browsers for awhile. Finally this weekend when it was time for my weekly Post, I couldn't find the Record button on any of my browsers. I updated to Pro and had 170 minutes left and was quit frustrated at your unprofessional way of letting us know! I am an older user who was only used to recording through your software. Mainly the way you yanked it without more education stinks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thank you for your feedback @AlphaOmegaArts, it is much appreciated.

I saw that you were able to upload a new track in the meantime. That's great! If you don't mind, please feel free to share what you ended up using to record in the end so other users who might still have used the record button on the site can benefit from it, too.

Out of interest and in order to look into options for future announcements - which are the resources you're using to get educated about SoundCloud?

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 1
I strongly dislike this move. It was really nice to be able to just upload a short little sentence or two for a friend. Now I have to take extra steps to do it and that's extremely inconvenient. Also it would have been nice to see a notice about it right on the webpage because I had to really dig to find this bit of news.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Annette,

Thanks for your input. We're trying to provide our users with the most current product updates and changes here on the Community (keep an eye on the blue bar on the landing page of The Community) and on our status blog.

The overall use of the recording feature was quite low compared to the many many tracks that are uploaded everyday via the file upload feature.

If you're on a computer, you might find other software such as Audacity that can do the recording job just as well. I understand it will still require a few more steps to finish the upload, but maybe it's a way for you to keep sending your friend a short message? 🙂

Or, if you have a smartphone, there are apps that'll allow you to record and upload to SoundCloud with ease. Maybe an option for you, too?

All the best
Mathis
Userlevel 1
Hi Mathis,

Thanks for your explanation and suggestions. Yes, I will just have to do that audacity option, I suppose. Sadly, I'm one of those people who tends to be left in the dust in terms of technology. I have never owned a smartphone, yet now just about everyone else would be lost without one.

Best to you too,

Annette
As a user who appreciated the convenience and efficiency of being able to record directly into SoundCloud, this is a very disappointing move. To go from such a seamless process of being able to record and post a podcast all within SoundCloud, to now have to research and find my own solution to record (and one that I can easily use to upload to SoundCloud) is a huge jump and quite frankly an inconvenience that questions whether I stay with SoundCloud or not. I understand not continuing with an integration that no longer serves you or your customer base, and yet dropping such a well used and convenient feature without offering an alternative to your customers is bad practice. I am currently researching a recording app that will hopefully make it easier for me to upload than it currently seems to be whilst also researching alternatives to SoundCloud.
Userlevel 1
This "move" with no warning is a total dis-service to those of us who only use
Recording on a computer directly to SoundCloud" & are not involved in any other of SoundCloud's hype & promo-tool crap. I pay for unlimited recording time, so i suppose there's no reason to continue paying for this "advanced" PLAN. I am not very cyber-savy, am not interested in filling my head with all the crap "necessary" to keep up with the Techie crowd. I have used this "service' to be able to SPONTANEOUSLY record my primitive musical (very lo-tech) musings WITHOUT having to make more files to upload. Also, i have no recording equipment, don't want any as i am 65yrs old with significant cardiac (you know, that Heart disease shit), disability, & can no longer DO all the hustling musician crap to have an outlet for my "creative impulses" I have to 'get by' SSDI money & that's it.......thanks alot dear SC, you've really pulled the rug out from under one who is somewhat more vulnerable than most of your customers. So, what happens to the nearly 700 tracks i've recorded. Do i need to download them all to someplace else? Do i have to continue to pay for "unlimited" service to not lose them? I don't even know what 'my Plan' is called, but the only reason i upgraded to it was to be able to spontaneously RECORD.... So, ANY suggestions (or Moral Support) would be appreciated PEACE & BLESSINGS, kids. You can find me as Daniel Kozak Wozny on FB, (that other exasperating "social network)..... dankozak@aol.com
Userlevel 1
Not happy. I haven't a clue what to do now? I have a MacBook computer. I don't use a mobile phone to get apps for the Net. This is really frustrating? I paid for Unlimited Pro plan to upload using the "Start New Recording" feature ONLY!
Hallo,

I downloaded Audacity and made all the instructed moves to upload to SoundCloud. It didn't go well. I got the message: There's a problem with playing this track! However, I was able to drag it from my computer and uploaded to SoundCloud.
Why it is happening??
Userlevel 1
Haven't a clue how to use audacity, it seems extremely complicated!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
@Moody DK,

It looks like you initially tried to upload the Audacity project file. That's an .aup file and not an audio file. Hence the issues at first. But you seem to have figured it out - that's great!

Cheers
Mathis
This is extremely disappointing. I just created my account today solely to be able to record audio for a submission as I only have a chromebook. Everything that I have read online says that you can still record on Soundcloud, INCLUDING your own support page, you know the place people go when something isn't working as advertised. So one would think hey, even if they don't have it on the homepage, surely the Support page specifically covering the Recording feature would say, we stopped this a month ago. This was poorly handled, and I will be deleting my 30 minute old account.
Userlevel 1
Worked the first times I tried it, now there is no sound recorded?
https://soundcloud.com/spiritspeak/shes-in-heaven-heaven-means-that-theres-hope

I dunno, I wish people would leave things as they are.

Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. Audacity is only one option of many obviously. I just did a test recording to see if I can help with the process.

1. Download and install Audacity. @spiritspeak - On your Mac, once you have opened the image file to install Audacity, all you need to do is drag the Audacity icon to the Applications folder, and the image provides the shortcut for it.
2. Open Audacity (on Mac, from your Applications folder)
3. If you don't have any external audio interface / soundcard connected, Audacity will automatically choose your internal microphone, no further settings needed. Just hit the record button in the upper left.

4. Record whatever you want to record. When you're done, either hit the space bar on your keyboard, or press the stop button (also in the upper left).
5. Last thing to do is click on "File" in the upper left of your display and choose "Export Audio" (. The default file type is "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM. That's an uncompressed format and perfect to use for the upload. Audacity will allow you to add metadata information, too. Not necessary for SoundCloud unless you are going to enable downloads, in which case others will be able to download your wav file and it'll come in handy if you've added metadata 🙂

Done. Now all you need to do is open your browser, go to the upload page and choose the file you've just exported.

Hope this helps to get started.

Obviously, this is Audacity stripped down to the bare minimum. Once you start finding your ways around, you'll learn that you can edit your recording before exporting, work with multiple stems in one audio file, mix your recording with audio effects such as EQs, Compressors, Reverb, Delay, etc. etc. Audacity does a great job at documenting all if this here.

All the best
Mathis

Userlevel 1
Worked the first 2 times I tried it, now there is no sound recorded?

Oh this is terrible! Tried a number of times, & still no sound
Userlevel 1
Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

Thank you for your feedback. Audacity is only one option of many obviously. I just did a test recording to see if I can help with the process.

1. Download and install Audacity. @spiritspeak - On your Mac, once you have opened the image file to install Audacity, all you need to do is drag the Audacity icon to the Applications folder, and the image provides the shortcut for it.
3. If you don't have any external audio interface / soundcard connected, Audacity will automatically choose your internal microphone, no further settings needed. Just hit the record button in the upper left.

4. Record whatever you want to record. When you're done, either hit the space bar on your keyboard, or press the stop button (also in the upper left).
5. Last thing to do is click on "File" in the upper left of your display and choose "Export Audio" (. The default file type is "WAV (Microsoft) signed 16-bit PCM. That's an uncompressed format and perfect to use for the upload. Audacity will allow you to add metadata information, too. Not necessary for SoundCloud unless you are going to enable downloads, in which case others will be able to download your wav file and it'll come in handy if you've added metadata 🙂

Done. Now all you need to do is open your browser, go to the upload page and choose the file you've just exported.

Obviously, this is Audacity stripped down to the bare minimum. Once you start finding your ways around, you'll learn that you can edit your recording before exporting, work with multiple stems in one audio file, mix your recording with audio effects such as EQs, Compressors, Reverb, Delay, etc. etc. Audacity does a great job at documenting all if this here.

All the best
Mathis

spiritspeak wrote:

[quote=spiritspeak]Worked the first 2 times I tried it, now there is no sound recorded?

https://soundcloud.com/spiritspeak/shes-in-heaven-heaven-means-that-theres-hope-1
Userlevel 1
spiritspeak wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/spiritspeak/shes-in-heaven-heaven-means-that-theres-hope1
Userlevel 1
spiritspeak wrote:

spiritspeak wrote:

https://soundcloud.com/spiritspeak/shes-in-heaven-heaven-means-that-theres-hope1

Oh come on bring back Soundcloud instant recording, this is madness!!!
Userlevel 1
Tiffany Conroy wrote:

Hey there Community,
Crazy to do this !!! Having terrible trouble with Audacity - there is too much that can go wrong , too much that needs adjusting . before was a simple straightforward procedure, now it's as complicated as fuck!
I would like to share some news with you. The feature to record inside your web browser was built over 7 years ago with Adobe Flash. Adobe Flash is soon to be deprecated, and it no longer makes sense to continue offering the existing feature as is. Thus, we’re removing the option to record inside the web browser.

Why are we not replacing it?

We feel the existing options out there to record audio on your desktop computer are far more advanced than the simple record feature that we provided, and many apps offer a direct SoundCloud integration to upload right from inside your audio software. Once you have made your recording and edited it to your liking, all you need to do is upload it to SoundCloud. Additionally, removing the record feature and not replacing it will free up valuable resources to stay focused on our strengths.

If you have feedback regarding this change, please let us know in a reply below.

Cheers,
- Tiffany

Userlevel 1
Oorlab wrote:

seems like a logical change. Thanks for the update

No, has been immensely frustrating navigating audio editing software! (3 providers)
Userlevel 1
Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

All the best
Mathis

Gone to Wavepad, that makes 3 Audio editing software I've tried -(audacity, recordpad, wavepad) and had trouble with all of them. Wavepad works at times then not other times...no sound at all.. even though sound of audio clip being transferred is the SAME LEVEL as the previous audio clip transferred - that worked.? I used to post abundantly spirit messages directly to Soundcloud 'onsite recording function' and had no problem, now I rarely post because is so frustrating!
Userlevel 1
This spirit message on my digital voice recorder was transferred audibly to Wavepad-
https://soundcloud.com/spiritspeak/i-hate-you
Yet this message is of exact same audio level on my voice recorder - and I get no sound recorded??
(no audio settings had been altered on Wavepad while recording the two messages)
https://soundcloud.com/spiritspeak/your-dying-christmas-thats-false

This is so frustrating how sometimes these audio editing software work and other times not??
You mention there are many sources for recording and then uploading to Soundcloud. This is my first experience with soundcloud, and so far it has not been a pleasant one. How about mentioning a few of those choices. From previous comments listed here Audacity does not appear to be a positive choice. What else is available? You are looking at a neophyte trying to get a website launched with weekly messages. I was hoping it could be all done through SoundCloud, but not to be the case. Help me out here.
Does this also relate to the record feature on the Android app? As I've just discovered the feature. I have made a recording but now my upload fails. I initially thought it was my Wi-Fi connection but after numerous attempts I was still unseccesful in uploading the recording. Is there any way to solve to upload issue or save the recording to my device from within the app so that I can attempt to upload it in browser?
Userlevel 1
Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

All the best
Mathis