Understanding feature use policies

Userlevel 4
Feature use policies

SoundCloud aims to help creators to connect directly with their fans. We understand that promoting your work is important, and we encourage you to seek out fans and other like-minded individuals. In our experience, the most successful forms of promotion are built upon meaningful interactions between creators and their audience. However, there is a fine line between developing these connections and over-sharing with members of the community.

You can be blocked from accessing specific feature(s) on-site if you are doing any of the following:
  • You’re posting similar comments or messages from your account (avoid copy and pasting, or sending comments or messages with the same links over and over)
  • You’re following a lot of accounts in a short time period
  • You’re following a lot of people you recently unfollowed
  • You’re liking or reposting a lot of tracks in one day (make sure you listen to any sound before liking, or reposting it)
  • You’re liking or reposting a lot of tracks you recently removed from your likes or reposts
  • You’re contributing your tracks to a lot of groups in a short time period
  • A number of community members have manually flagged your account, messages or comments as spam

Warnings We have on-site limits in place to encourage the growth of genuine, close-knit communities around creators’ tracks. These limits look for accounts which appear to be using a feature in a way other than it was intended, and can block access to that feature.

Our anti-spam systems are automated, and focus on detecting accounts who are making large numbers of the same activity within a 24 hour period.

When you are being warned that you may end up in a block soon, you will see this message:

When you see your first warning, you must acknowledge it by clicking “Yes, I understand” before you can carry on using the feature. Please note, if you continue to use the feature after agreeing that you understood the warning that you received, you may end up in a block.

Blocks If you’ve received and accepted a warning before, any time you hit this on-site limit again, you will be blocked from using that feature. You will receive a message similar to this one:

If you are in a block, it means that for a period of time you will be unable to use the feature. The length of this time period depends on whether or not you have been in a block before. The more often you run up against the same limit the longer that block will become, and it will tell you when the block will expire in the block warning.

Please note: no matter what subscription level you have, we cannot manually remove any blocks - this is to ensure fairness for all of our users.

408 replies

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Unable to send message. Please retry..

Hey, i dont know if im blocked or not for sending messages, i dont remember getting any notification as it appears in this page: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/p... When i am gonna be able to send message again?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Del Sound wrote:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Unable to send message. Please retry..

Hey, i dont know if im blocked or not for sending messages, i dont remember getting any notification as it appears in this page: http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/p... When i am gonna be able to send message again?

Hi Del,

In addition to the announcement above: I've just looked into this - your block will be automatically removed in 1 day, so you should soon be all set again.

Cheers
Mathis
Cool then!!! Thank you!!! 🙂
Del Sound wrote:

I'm having the same problem was never notified of any time limit. I'm worried because its almost been a week
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Update in this matter - the notification error has now been fixed, so if you ran into a block, the proper notification should show on your screen.

Cheers
Mathis
Cool mate!!! Cheers! 🙂
Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

Update in this matter - the notification error has now been fixed, so if you ran into a block, the proper notification should show on your screen.

Cheers
Mathis

I hope so to thanks for leading me here. Thanks for helping. Have a nice day.
Userlevel 1
SOUNDCLOUD NEEDS TO HAVE A WARNING BEFORE BLOCKING BECAUSE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW MANY SONGS I CAN POST BEFORE GETTING BLOCKED. I AM NOT SPAMMING. MERELY CURATING. I JUST GOT BLOCKED FOR 6 DAYS. THIS IS RIDICULOUS. HOW WILL MY FOLLOWERS FIND GOOD MUSIC
Mathis wrote:

Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

IM HAVING THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM..........................HOPE YOU CAN HELP.........................CUZ PEOPLE SHOULD ATLEAST GET A WARNING NOTIFICATIONB4 BEING BLOCKED FROM SHARE-ING TO GROUPS.......ICTUALL MAKE SURE NOT TOO GO OVER QOUTA BUT ITS A BIT HARD WHEN ONE DONT EVEN GET A WARNING NOTIFICATION...& THEINFOIN THE SITEIS NOT ACCURATE HAVE A PROPER NUMBER MAXIMUM .CUZ THIS IS TOTAL B.SO IMHO ..THIS SUX MAJOURLY GUYS.............WTF ................KINDA NOT IMPRESSED ATM.WTF GUYS !! ???.WHICH IVE NOT GOTTEN AT ALL . THANX CONOUSSIER_X HOPE YOU CAN FIX THIS PROBLEM ASITS NOT VERRYFAIR.......ESPECIALLYWHEN IKEEPTO THE QOUTAA ....THANX..HOPE-ING YOU CANHELP........PLEASE ADVICE ME IF YOU ARE ABLE TO HELP UNBLOCK.GROUP SHARE-INGWHEN O WARNG WEREGIVEN AT ALL PERIOD!!!! ??CUZ I SHOULD OF GOTTEN A WARNING MSG\NOTIFICATION BUT NEVER DID JUST STRAIGHT OUT BLOCKED WITH OUT ANY WARNING(WHILE FOLLOWING THE RULES TO THE LETTER) SO MY QOUTA WASNT OVER USED...SO UM WTF& NO MESSAGE B4 BEING BLOCKED !!!NOT RIGHT NOT FAIR BENG BLOCKED...............WHEN I WENT BY THE RULES....THIS SUX GUYS FROM SHARE-ING ON GROUPS............SO UM WTF GUYS ???
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I was blocked from sending messages.

Was promoting my work to some colleagues and I ended up suffering the lock send messages , and was not spamming ... could solve? I need the use of messages on soundcloud urgently, please!
help!!!!!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled The automated spam system has blocked me from messaging anyone after TWO messages....

I haven't been spamming anyone in any way, please help me.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sending a letter to my followers, let them know about my new album is SPAMMING?.

I've sent a couple of messages to my followers, told them about my new album has been released and if they want to, they can support me. After this I'm doing nice conversations with those ones who replying to me. After a couple of messages I've got an alert message I should stop doing this. Does talking to my fans counts as spamming???
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
The Neon Droid wrote:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Sending a letter to my followers, let them know about my new album is SPAMMING?.

I've sent a couple of messages to my followers, told them about my new album has been released and if they want to, they can support me. After this I'm doing nice conversations with those ones who replying to me. After a couple of messages I've got an alert message I should stop doing this. Does talking to my fans counts as spamming???

Hi Neon Droid,

I've looked into this for you - your current block will be released in 1 day. Please review the original post in this convo to understand why you ran into the block and how you can avoid this from happening again.

Cheers!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled i cant send a private message , its bloked.

hello, i can't send a private message , its blocked , why ? can you help me pls.... i have a pro account
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled HOW CAN YOU ASSUME THAT MULTIPLE COMMENTS IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME = SPAM or SEL....

If you're able to create a system that recognizes the number of times one of your users has made a comment, then that system should be smart enough to recognize if those comments contain spam and/or are self-promoting.

Every comment I post on an artists track is designed and intended to promote that specific track and it's artist. Period.

My user profile contains absolutely zero personal uploads, nor does it contain any links directing traffic to visit any other web site.

Other than helping to promote an artist and/or a track that I feel is "DopeMuSICK", the only other source that benefits from what I've been trying to do is, Soundcloud itself.

So in other words... Instead of assuming that when I post a comment on multiple tracks within a certain time limit, just take the 30 seconds needed to realize that you've been wrong to assume it's SPAM. Stop restricting or limiting my account options.

Thanks for your time.

Love,
Dope.MuSICK.Approved
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Dope.MuSICK wrote:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled HOW CAN YOU ASSUME THAT MULTIPLE COMMENTS IN A SHORT PERIOD OF TIME = SPAM or SEL....

If you're able to create a system that recognizes the number of times one of your users has made a comment, then that system should be smart enough to recognize if those comments contain spam and/or are self-promoting.

Every comment I post on an artists track is designed and intended to promote that specific track and it's artist. Period.

My user profile contains absolutely zero personal uploads, nor does it contain any links directing traffic to visit any other web site.

Other than helping to promote an artist and/or a track that I feel is "DopeMuSICK", the only other source that benefits from what I've been trying to do is, Soundcloud itself.

So in other words... Instead of assuming that when I post a comment on multiple tracks within a certain time limit, just take the 30 seconds needed to realize that you've been wrong to assume it's SPAM. Stop restricting or limiting my account options.

Thanks for your time.

Love,
Dope.MuSICK.Approved

Hi there,

Please give the original post in this conversation and the referred link on our help center a review. If you have follow up questions, it'll be best to get in touch with our Trust & Safety team directly here.

Cheers
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is there an unfollow limit on soundcloud? Much like the follow limit..

I got a warning for following too many people of the same interests. Then I followed an artist that I liked and got a 20 hour ban. Now I have got too many unactive users and people in my stream and I don't like it 😞. Is there an unfollow limit on Soundcloud much like the follow limit? I'm really worried that I will get another ban if I unfollow too many people aswell. Sorry for promoting this way 😞 I wanted my music to be heard.
Del Sound wrote:

I have the same problem but i have NEVER send any messages or done any comments. what is the problem here?
I have the same problem but i have NEVER send any messages or done any comments. what is the problem here?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Soundcloud blocked me from liking any tracks, how long will this last?.

I was blocked (with no warning btw) because I reliked/unliked too many tracks while trying to rearrange ones i had previously saved. I now am unable to like anything and am wondering how to see how long this block will last
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
alyroitman wrote:

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Soundcloud blocked me from liking any tracks, how long will this last?.

I was blocked (with no warning btw) because I reliked/unliked too many tracks while trying to rearrange ones i had previously saved. I now am unable to like anything and am wondering how to see how long this block will last

Hi Aly,

Your block will be released automatically in 4 hrs from now. Please give this announcement a read through to understand why you might have ended up in a block and make sure you don't end up in another block. 🙂

Cheers
Mathis
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled im blocked from liking i took advice of listening to the songs first why am i blo....

so im blocked from liking i took advice of listening to the songs first . why am i blocked ? yes i listen to a lot of music but soundcloud makes it hard to network accusing people of being spam when its not.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Who do I talk to to dispute this unjust blocking?.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Blocked for too much liking ?.

Im kinda confused by this. The explanation says that Im creating too many notifications for users ? How does me putting one like on 100 tracks per day screw up an individual user ? They are spread out over 100 different tracks. Lots of these tracks have only a few likes and some have like 100k. Im not a robot, and im not running a spam operation. Im just flipping through my feed and liking stuff.

I saw on another post about how you get blocked for liking, un-liking and re-linking. I dont do this, and if its happening its a bug in the iOS app or the website.

Im a paying customer, not sure that matters but what is the malice angle to my usage pattern ?