Why changing your URL might not work

• 21 January 2016
  • 31 replies

Userlevel 4
Hello everyone,

Normally, you can change your profile URL by following the steps in this article on our help center. Then again, there are certain things that won't work - these scenarios are outlined here (special character restrictions, character limit).

When a username is already in use, an error message will show and explain the URL is taken. SoundCloud profile URLs are unique.

This means if the URL you want has already been claimed, you will need to select a different one. We recommend trying to add words such as “music”, “band” or separating different words by ‘-’ or ‘_’ to create a unique URL of your own.

However, we've recently received a number of reports where users weren't able to change their URLs although they had done everything correctly and acknowledged the specifications for the URLs. We've investigated this issue and found two case scenarios.
  1. The URL belonged to a fake user account that was suspended via our Trust & Safety recognition system
  2. The URL belonged to a user account that got terminated due to repeated copyright infringement.
In neither of the cases, an error message is shown. Consequently, you think something is not working correctly. Certainly, that's not ideal. We've forwarded this to the relevant engineering team and they are currently looking into the case.

We can try and see if we can free up the URL for you on a case by case basis.

All the best
Gina & Mathis

This topic has been closed for comments

31 replies

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled URL Change bug.

Hi, I just started to use my soundcloud more often to put my selfmade music on it, so I wanted to change my page's URL, but everytime I click on save, I doesn't save at all.

My name did save, but my url won't save.. Not in IE9 nor in Google Chrome (47.0.2526.111 m), I have disabled my AdBlock, still not working..
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Hi, I just started to use my soundcloud more often to put my selfmade music on it, so I wanted to change my page's URL, but everytime I click on save, I doesn't save at all.

My name did save, but my url won't save.. Not in IE9 nor in Google Chrome (47.0.2526.111 m), I have disabled my AdBlock, still not working..

Hey Hilory,

What URL were you going for?

Just simply /hilory
It was just because the name was too small. It need to be stated in the url change help page.

But thanks alot.
I made a new account, but the url is /hilory-25484718 now, still incapable to change it..
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my soundcloud will not me change my url.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Username wasn't changed.

I recently made another account on Soundcloud and I tried change my username and my URL on my computer, but it wasn't changed on my phone nor my computer. I clicked "save changes" so many times and it still says "User" with numbers on it.
i created a project called "database", but this permalink isn't available... So i'm using soundcloud.com/database-313386937

What should i do to soundcloud look at my case? Must I send an email? Or this post is enough?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't Change URL no matter what I try or what computer I use!.

I am not able to change my URL... I would like to change it to "giothedeejay" but every time i go to edit and change it from the original generic url it won't allow me to save the changes. someone please help! I have tried on many different computers and it won't save
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't change URL of my profile - 500 Internal Server Error.

When I'm trying to change my profile URL (which I've never done before) I can't, because the save button is greyed out. I need to specify a website url in order to set the button active. But when I click it then, nothing happens, console shows a 500 internal server error.

Please let me know if I can test anything else or have to provide you more information.

The problem appears on Mac Yosemite in all browsers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't change URL of my profile - 500 Internal Server Error.

When I'm trying to change my profile URL (which I've never done before) I can't, because the save button is greyed out. I need to specify a website url in order to set the button active. But when I click it then, nothing happens, console shows a 500 internal server error.

Please let me know if I can test anything else or have to provide you more information.

Hi Daniel,

What URL are you trying to go for?

Thanks Mathis for helping me out, I'd like to have danielvoss

Hey Mathis

As i said before with another profile (Pug Records), i want to use the url /database
PLEASE MATHIS IVE BEEN TRYING TO REACH YOU BUT CANT GET YOU..

my soundcloud link is currently https://soundcloud.com/user-703094289

and im trying to get the URL https://soundcloud.com/GioTheDeejay

please help me... no one else is willing to help me here
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Help: I change my url again and again, but it never "sticks." Keeps changing back....

I keep trying to change my url to soundcloud.com/phillynch
But it always unchanges it back to a clunky user number. I've cleared cache and cookies, used different browser, etc. I've seen that some folks have been fixed by moderators/helpers. If that is possible, thanks in advance.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I can't change my profile url.

I want to change my profile url from garyjames1 to garynew but it doesn't seem to let me, it doesn't come up as being already taken, i think i may have used it before. Any ideas?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Change Profile URL.

I'm having trouble changing my profile URL. I'm following all the directions and I'm only using "numbers, letters, underscores and hyphens" but its still giving me that same

error message.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Help! Dispite URL isn't taken yet, I cannot change my profile URL..

Hi,

I'm trying to change my URL from "soundcloud.com/dstylemusics" to "soundcloud.com/officialdstyle". When I click "save changes" nothing happens. It looks like it's loading for a second, but then nothing happens.

I tried different browers and did the troubleshooting I read in some posts before.

Looking forward to solve this problem. 😞
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Editing profile doesn't save.

I'm trying to edit my name/url. I put in my new name and site, save the changes, but the changes don't stick. It might stay for a second, but as soon as I refresh the page, everything is lost. What do?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Can't change my profile url.

I want to change my url from https://soundcloud.com/dpgill-806920796 to https://soundcloud.com/dpgill but it does not let me save.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I just create a new account and I'm trying to change my url and it won't save it.....

I signed up for a new account and gave the url I wanted as /djzebo. I noticed on my page it saved it as /djzebo-691292203. I tried to delete the 691292203 and it won't save. I click the save button and nothing happens. Please help.
Mine keeps reverting. I'm going for "noellarose".
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled URL Change Issues.

Having trouble changing my URL to "ewbocloud". It says it isn't taken, but isn't saving properly.

No style problems, all lowercase etc.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Ed
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled URL Change Issues.

Having trouble changing my URL to "ewbocloud". It says it isn't taken, but isn't saving properly.

No style problems, all lowercase etc.

Can anyone help?

Cheers,

Ed

Um, hello?...
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How long does it take a deactivated account url to become available?.

I had an account, but no longer owned the email associated w/ it. I could not confirm the address, OR add a new one. Not sure if this was a bug, or bc the old account was never verified. Since I was logged in already, I deactivated it, created a new account, but want the url from the old one. How long does it take for it to become available? I used the same url, but it shows user-xxxxxxx... instead of the profile name I created the first account, and then this new account with.