Question

Are stats localized? Or batch processed in GMT time? If so, how often every X hours?

• 1 August 2015
  • 3 replies

I'm based in Washington DC but SoundCloud is in Berlin. Are stats batch processed X times per day and grouped into a 24-hour period based on Berlin / GMT time? Or does it localize and assign view/play activity to me here in DC / EST time zone? Guess I'm trying to determine if there would be a certain percentage of plays/views that would get hop over and get bucketed into the next day's stats since SoundCloud is 6 hours ahead of me.

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
stats are counted in pretty much real time. ive tested this by hitting the stream file (regular playback) on soundcloud. then refreshed the stats and it reflected the play.
stats are counted in pretty much real time. ive tested this by hitting the stream file (regular playback) on soundcloud. then refreshed the stats and it reflected the play.
Hi DL, thanks for the reply.

I also feel that they pop up "pretty much" in real time but having done a ton of Google Analytics and other online metrics work in the past, the batch processing of traffic logs has a huge impact on the accuracy of content performance. A lot of agencies need a higher level of specificity to justify their ad spend, and "pretty much" wouldn't give them the exactness they're looking for.

I hope that other devs from the SC team might be able to chime in and say exactly how the stats are counted, and what if any kind of discrepancy there may be between stats servers located in the cloud in other regions of the world vs their own internal apps that measure views/plays, and how all this infrastructure sitting across so many time zones might impact the complete accuracy of "stats". Having views/plays posted to the previous day because SC's servers are 6 hours ahead would be a major performance factor to account for.

Totally not nit picking with you here as I do really appreciate you taking the time to leave a reply, so thank you. It's just that paying clients want to know :)

Cheers to you and all others reading.
Userlevel 5
Badge
so there stats are counted in real time. they dont do any batch processing of stats at the end of the day or anything... it would be pretty crazy to kick off a stats generation task for the ** million users on soundcloud every day. instead its easier to just count them as they happen. i have never seen the stats change/update as if it were done daily. since i get betweek 5-7K plays a day so that would noticeable if all the sudden i woke up and there is a jump of ~6K plays, etc.

as far as times go, they are HQ'd in berlin, so all times sitewide are in that time zone.

so if real time is fast enough for whatever agency is asking for stats, you might want to find someone else 🙂 generally once every 24 hours is plenty.

cheers

DL