Solved

Automatic following random people

Look. I'm going to be straight. I'm having an irritating issue for a few months: my accounts is automatically following random people without me wanting to do it. Every day I'm "following" like 20 or 30 more accounts! I already posted this issue before and no solution. What is more irritating is that if I try to unfollow these accounts, you guys are giving me a warning (if I keep unfollowing people, you are going to delete my account). I am really trying to keep my account and profile professional and clean, but these issues are frustrating me A LOT. If you solve this issue, would be very nice.

PS: so you can save your time by asking me this, I DON'T use any bots for followers/likes.
icon

Best answer by Mathis 7 September 2015, 16:02

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you've been having these issues. Hmm, let's see - I don't know of any obvious ways for an external party to have you follow account, so I'd recommend for you to do the following:

1. On a web browser on a computer, log in to your account, then go to http://soundcloud.com/settings/connections
2. In the "connected applications"-section, revoke access to all of the items that are listed in there. Also, disconnect Facebook and Google+ if you've connected accounts in that section.
3. Log out of your account and restart your browser. This process will log your out from any device you might have been logged in.
4. Next, head over to https://soundcloud.com/login/forgot and request a new password for your account.

Once this is done, you'll hopefully not get any new followers any longer, if you don't choose to.

Cheers
Mathis
View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Sorry to hear you've been having these issues. Hmm, let's see - I don't know of any obvious ways for an external party to have you follow account, so I'd recommend for you to do the following:

1. On a web browser on a computer, log in to your account, then go to http://soundcloud.com/settings/connections
2. In the "connected applications"-section, revoke access to all of the items that are listed in there. Also, disconnect Facebook and Google+ if you've connected accounts in that section.
3. Log out of your account and restart your browser. This process will log your out from any device you might have been logged in.
4. Next, head over to https://soundcloud.com/login/forgot and request a new password for your account.

Once this is done, you'll hopefully not get any new followers any longer, if you don't choose to.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Luiz,

Can you please give me a few examples of profiles that you are following that you never intended to follow?

-Gina
I'm getting this as well, I'm not a heavy user of soundcloud to begin with. I followed a couple of people back when I was looking for something particular. However, I just noticed today I'm following 160 people... One I KNOW FOR SURE I would never have followed. Ryan Seacrest that jackass that I just don't like, I unfollowed him already. I literally only followed maybe 3-4 people, at most!

The only thing I have in my application access log is "soundcloud.com" which I kind of thought I'd need to be honest... It reads "SoundCloud.com" and actually points to the following website - http://soundcloud.com/settings/connections
I feel your pain bro. It appears that the "followin" list only grows when I follow or unfollow user(s). If I follow one user, it appears that I have followed tons of new accounts. It's really strange. I have already done all that thing with connections and changing password but at the end it didn't solved anything.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there again,

Have you tried logging out everywhere, changing your password, then seeing if these unauthorized follows continue? If so, I'd recommend to get in touch with our Trust & Safety team via email for this issue to be investigated further. Please let the team know about this forum conversation so they don't tell you the same things again and can pick you up right where we left off.

Thanks & all the best
Mathis
Hey Mathis,

so, I have tried already logging out and changing passwords twice (I have another forum conversation about the same issue a time ago and you said the same thing). The automatic following stopped for a couple of days and it began all over again after that, so I gave up after that.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled my user following people by himself.

my soundcloud user is following people that i didn't follow by myself !! its doing it by himself without my permission.. what can i do????
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Also: Forwarding this to our Trust & Safety team for general review. If you have further questions, it'll be best to reach out to the team directly via email here.
Does soundcloud do this to show good spread sheets to their investors? I find people I haven't added also, and I really can't believe that... some of the people that follow me, ... do.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Does soundcloud do this to show good spread sheets to their investors? I find people I haven't added also, and I really can't believe that... some of the people that follow me, ... do.
Hi hf.plus,

Can you take a screenshot of that and send it over? Do these users' tracks just appear on your Stream, or are you actually following when you're sure you didn't actually hit the "follow" button?
Same problem here, I have had my account for about a year and a half, and have only used it to listen to tracks, never following anybody, but still I am following 100 or so accounts. Many of them artists I would never listen to, like fucking LINKIN PARK! Also, Skrillex, Nora Jones, MGMT, some random german classical music account called Deutsche Grammophon etc.

Even if this could be "my fault" somehow, I doubt I've even listened to 100 tracks on Soundcloud so I can't have mistakenly pressed follow 100 times. And definitely not with Linkin Park.
I noticed the same issue. Looks like I'm following people with whom I'm Facebook friends with automatically, without ever explicitly expressing an interest to follow them. I looked for a setting that enables this but couldn't find any. Must say it's quite annoying.
"Me too" Decided to start using Soundcloud more. Logged in to find some artists and notice I am Following a bunch of random people (football shows? uh, no!) - found out how to unfollow. As fast as I could unfollow new follows showed up on my list. Finally gave up playing whack-a-mole. The above "official advice" reads like a bunch of BS to me. Clearly something else is going on. Such a detriment to artists I really would like to follow because the default stream is based on who you're following so my stream is full of junk.
This is not resolved... So a few months ago I went and unfollowed everyone apart from 2 people, the two I would normally have followed anyway. At the time I didn't check my follow list, I simply assume when I unfollowed it actually would unfollow, but I found out today, unfollowing doesn't mean you've actually unfollowed.

I come back and low and behold I need to spend another half hour unfollowing people... However this time what I did was constantly refreshed the following page and noticed some people will NOT unfollow simply because you click the unfollow button.

So I logged out, cleared cache, cleared cookies, logged in with no plug-ins active in private mode on Chrome. I unfollowed the remaining few, then logged out, closed down, cleared cache and cookies etc.

Logged back in. They where back... So what I did was unfollowed them, but this time I also blocked them, and checked the box clearing all their comments and everything, the only thing I didn't do was report them apart from one user - https://soundcloud.com/mhckdprfl - For some reason, this account has almost 1million followers, but no favorites, no uploads but only liked 6 songs. Why would a million people follow this guy... So I think he is a spam bot primary and Soundcloud should look into him.

That said, everyone on my "Mute" list are people, channels, groups that I couldn't unfollow no matter what!

Not until I blocked them and Muted them am I able to remove them from my following list. I'd also point out there there was at least 300 others that I was "Following" automatically.

It's clearly not solved, it's clearly an issue, and if soundcloud wants to be as big as Spotify or iHeartRadio or any other of the music streaming services, they need to fix this issue.
Having the same issues. Such a shame cause i really like my Soundcloud page too. I noticed that i keep following a guy who has been dead for 20+ years; albeit he was a legendary musician when he was alive, but wtf there's not even a single track uploaded to his page!! That don't even make sense to me.. Please fix this issue a.s.a.p.
Same here~I spent about 2 minutes on Soundcloud back in 1873 (ish, ok...), log back in today and am following god knows how many people, including a half-naked German sounding woman, Yale & Harvard Uni's, Ola England (who?), WalterJHuaman (who??) and Macky Manlulo (wh....you get the idea). Already losing interest when I have to search for the one or two I actually follow and have any interest in.
Happening to me too

Edit: it's also refollowed people I have unfollowed.

It doesn't help that it's so impractical to unfollow lots of people at once. Really needs to be addressed.
Same here and its really annoying!
Dude I am randomly following 700 people that I cannot see. It's really pissing me off and makes my numbers look absolutely terrible. Soundcloud won't show me who these people are and I can't unfollow any of them! It happened when they changed their system [ for the worst as usual] last time. And of course conveniently THERES NO LONGER A CONTACT US FEATURE!!!!!
I have the same annoying problem with Soundcloud adding into my "following" many random people. It might be an intended behavior, as Soundcloud don't give a damn about its users.

The thread mentioned below is talking about the same problem. It has been also labeled as "resolved", ironically.
https://soundcloudcommunity.com/subscriptions-230059/soundcloud-keeps-following-random-people-without-my-input-how-do-i-stop-that-6740663
I'm having the same problem recently, and that's making me desperate. It didn't follow hundreds like the issues above, around 10-30, but I don't doubt this will get even worse. My account keeps following random people, and that's sure, are they famous or not.

I kinda only follow some musician friends of mine, but when this first happened I was following some "Soundcloud Pay to Get Followers" kind of channel which has no uploads or favorites but a bunch of followers, not to mention that I was also following a lot of known and unknown people, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do this, even if somehow I manage to press the follow button a lot of times unconsciously. Now, this is happening constantly. I wonder if that's default for Soundcloud or am I infected with a powerful malware/spy?

What worries me the most is how that's such an old issue (2015, uh??) that 've never been solved, even tho it's labeled as this. I was even strongly considering paying Soundcloud Pro, but how can I do this, am I safe with my account? And do this site even care about its users? 😠
Really bummed out this hasn't been solve in all these years. It's made me start using Soundcloud less and less. It's really weird when I mainly only listen to vaporwave and lo-fi type stuff but I'm getting all types of EDM not only showing up in my Follows but they're also being automatically favorited. This is a major turn off because I mainly only stick to listening to my favorites since my feed gets flooded with stuff that I dont like. SoundCloud.....what gives?
I have already thousands of these fake follower users in my account. I cant even remove all of them manually - I need to spends hours and hours to do that manually one by one as these are no other options. What shall I do??
This is also happening to me.. Although I'm not sure if the issue is still current, or whether I'm just finding it now. Soundcloud could totally have a bug--it would seem like the kind of odd problem caused by a bug.