Clarification of Stats

Userlevel 4
Something doesn't make sense on your Stats? Read on!

What counts as a play?

We count a play once the play button is clicked. Sorry but no selfies, we don't count plays on your sounds that come from your own account.

How ‘Plays Today’ are counted and why they change?

‘Plays Today’ are the number of plays you have received in the last 24 hours. This number changes throughout the day because it is based on a rolling 24 hour basis. For example, if you received 5 plays on a track at 10:00 am on Monday but no other plays the rest of the day then your play count will remain at 5 plays up until Tuesday at 10:00 am. Afterwards you have now surpassed the 24 hours since those 5 plays and in this example at 10:01 the play count would change to 0.

Did you become an overnight celebrity?

If you see that one of your tracks has an unusually high amount of plays this is usually because it is embedded in a blog somewhere. We can’t pinpoint exactly where this is so your best option is to do a Google search for the name of your track to try to see where it has been posted.

Who are those ‘Others’ that appear on my list of listeners?

Each catergory: Most Played Tracks, Top Countries, and Who Played the Most all show your top results, anything/anyone outside of these “top” compiles to make the section ‘Others’.

Unexplainable drop in your stats?

Here is the explanation. We often run an algorithm that checks SoundCloud for fake users/ spam accounts. When these accounts are detected, they are removed from the site. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but a big, sudden drop in stats means that those stats were coming from fake accounts that were batch deleted.

106 replies

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Is anyone lost with the new way of counting plays?.

Before thats set it to "0" a midnight which use to give us a referential point, now it's for the past 24 hours... It has less sen and impact. Not for you guys?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Take a look at this post, we explain how stats count. In the future you can type the general subject of your inquiry into the search fields to see if someone or if we have already asked the same.

Thanks!
Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I see all of the download stats?.

I'm trying to see my download stats to be able to identify who downloaded what songs and all I get is "Others."

Paying for these stats is useless if they aren't fully transparent.

How can I see the "Others?"

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How can I see all of the download stats?.

I'm trying to see my download stats to be able to identify who downloaded what songs and all I get is "Others."

Paying for these stats is useless if they aren't fully transparent.

How can I see the "Others?"

Also, keep in mind that users who choose to remain anonymous and enable 'Stealth Mode' will also show as 'Others.'

Thanks!
Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Likes on a track not displaying properly.

I posted a track last eve and it has 3 likes by the 'drill down' tally, but only 1 shows up in the stream display. This behavior persists across cleared-cache/new-instance Chrome & Firefox.

I had a problem uploading a photo which might be related or not.

Additionally the track shows a very unusual number of plays / downloads for my averages. Again, may or may not be related. I switched the downloads off because I was nonplussed.

track in question: https://soundcloud.com/creightonconner/take-me-to-church-in-progress
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

Take a look at this part: How ‘Plays Today’ are counted and why they change?

This may explain why the counts appear different. Hopefully this helps, let me know if you're still confused by anything.

Thanks for visiting the forum!
Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My stats have gone crazy!.

Every 2nd or 3rd day my stats go crazy. I average 50-100 plays/day but recently I will have 1.7k out of nowhere. I know they are not legitimate plays. Any suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My stats have gone crazy!.

Every 2nd or 3rd day my stats go crazy. I average 50-100 plays/day but recently I will have 1.7k out of nowhere. I know they are not legitimate plays. Any suggestions?

Hey Mark,

Give the 'overnight celebrity' bit a read. If something still seems off then let us know which tracks it is and we can have a look for you.

Cheers,
Gina

It is every single track Gina, each one of my tracks will get like 40 plays each, then the next day back to normal. It is completely erratic. My total plays have jumped thousands but this does not seem to be reflected in individual track stats if that makes sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hey Mark,

I'm going to write you an email. I want to look closely into your account and tracks. I think it's best to discuss your account's details in a private email.

Thanks!
Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Stats not updating.

Hi Soundcloud, I have a pretty big problem.

I uploaded a new song to Soundcloud, and while all songs get around 100 plays in a month or so, this one song was played 200 times in 24 hours and downloaded 400 times in that same time period. This was incredibly strange (and after two days reached 1000 plays).

But the other and main problem is this: I listen to my other tracks, other people do it too, yet they are no longer updating!

Please, I need some help because I don't get how one track could get 1000 plays and the track beneath it not one single play extra.

Thanks!

Michiel
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Stats not updating.

I uploaded a new song to Soundcloud, and while all songs get around 100 plays in a month or so, this one song was played 200 times in 24 hours and downloaded 400 times in that same time period. This was incredibly strange (and after two days reached 1000 plays).

But the other and main problem is this: I listen to my other tracks, other people do it too, yet they are no longer updating!

Please, I need some help because I don't get how one track could get 1000 plays and the track beneath it not one single play extra.

Thanks!

Michiel

Hi Michiel,

Thanks for your question, take a look at the explanation above and let me know if you still have any questions.

Hopefully that helps,
Gina

Thanks!

Michiel

Hi Gina, thanks for the heads-up. I deleted the track and re-uploaded it, but since this morning it has been climbing steadily to 270+ views again... While other tracks get not a single play extra... It's "Boze Wolven (Gorki cover)". I know it could be popular since it's a tribute to a recently deceased singer, but a Google search shows nothing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks!

Michiel

Hi Jim,

Thanks for writing back - It is tough to tell where exactly those plays are coming from and why your listeners didn't listen to your other tracks.

I've looked into this for you and dug a bit deeper to see if I can get further insights as to where your plays were coming from. It looks like a lot of them are coming from an app called iSound (there's two with a very similar name, it is not the audio memory game app, but the music app).

For context - iSound is a third party app using our public API and has built their own interface that's basically fed through content on SoundCloud.

Hope this helps to shed some light on this.

Cheers,
Mathis
Hi'all thanks for the great clarifiying effort about stats ...

Just one question more: are the tracks played only through a player embedded on a website page (and not on a soundcloud profile page) also taken into account as played ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Just one question more: are the tracks played only through a player embedded on a website page (and not on a soundcloud profile page) also taken into account as played ?

Hi there,

Great question - yes, these are also taken into account!

Cheers, and happy holidays :-)
Mathis

Brilliant ! Thanks, have a good time too !
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why do I have about 1900 plays on one track, while the rest only about 200? This ....

It's a pity that there is no difference between a play lasting 1 or 2 seconds and others.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Stats Not Updating.

I uploaded a track on February 4th. It shows a dozen plays. However, when I go to check my Stats on the track (or any tracks for that matter), it shows no activity today on February 5th.

Additionally, I know several other tracks have been played by friends. However, they show no activity as well. I've been a member of SoundCloud for a couple of years, but just recently upgraded to Pro Unlimited. The stats used to work prior to this upgrade. Now it seems only stats previous to the day I upgraded (February 4th) are available. Does it take time for these stats to populate?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled fake increase of likes counts on my songs.

Hi, I have another issue with play count. I have recently increase of likes counts on my songs, but actual play counter is not increased. How this can be?
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled i lost 35 followers from yesterday to today ??' what happens ?.

checked my profile yesterday and i had more than 500 followers.... today 35 less ??? strange
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled i lost 35 followers from yesterday to today ??' what happens ?.

checked my profile yesterday and i had more than 500 followers.... today 35 less ??? strange

Hey Hugo,

Thanks for visiting the helps forum. Take a look at this conversation, if you need further clarification just let me know!

Cheers,
Gina
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled it seems i lost like 40 follwers in 1 second wehn i just gained them does that ha....

Losing Followers
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled I had more than 400 views in 24 hours on one of my uploads?.

While I normaly have hardly 15 views per day...How comes? 😮