Fake soundcloud plays

• 26 October 2018
  • 4 replies

I've had this problem on one of my latest tracks, twice now. There's these guys here: http://www.soundcloud-shop.org/

They apparently like to promote their services by spamming plays on peoples tracks. The plays come from 3rd party websites that they own (and redirect to the link) such as:
soundboost.site
boost-sound.site

First time this happened I looked into it. I had to delete my track and re-upload to reset the counter. OK, fine I did that. Then I saw there are permissions on the tracks. One which seemed would nip this in the bud: App Playback. When deselected I'm told: "This track will not be playable outside of SoundCloud and its apps."

Can someone explain to me why two weeks after the fact my track got spammed with plays again? I'd rather have none than fake plays. This stuff is insulting to my intelligence.

I understand that there are technical challenges with dealing with these "soundcloud promoters" . However this problem is not going away and seems to be getting worse which is ruining the site for content creators looking for a genuine audience. At the very least a "nuke stats" button should be added to at least clear those numbers to avoid the hassle of deleting and re-uploading.

I'd want a solution to this. These "promoters" add no value and doing what they do makes it look like I'm desperately trying to up my stats (that's pathetic).

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

I've reported these pages internally to our Trust & Safety team now. Please see here for more info about the topic, and feel free to use the "file a ticket" link on the bottom of that article to report sites like these. https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003561668-Reporting-promotional-services
I found this thread because I was searching for a solution to this fake plays issue.
I've been getting 50 or so plays a day from promote-cloud.site and also boost-sound.site on some of my tracks. I'm used to getting fake followers and likes on every new track I post and I just routinely report and blocking them but it would be good if there was some way of preventing these play promotion bandits from operating too. I know all I have to do is subtract 50 from the play count to get a realistic figure but as the opening post points out it can look as though I'm trying to boost my stats to any genuine listener who comes by and finds my tracks. If Soundcloud can come up with a solution to this I would be delighted.
The best way I can think of to stop the fake plays would be to make a new account or change your link and name. Avoid posting links to your soundcloud on shady sites. You might actually be getting genuine plays as well. It's really hard to tell. That's about the best advice I can give on the matter though. Sorry man.
The best way I can think of to stop the fake plays would be to make a new account or change your link and name. Avoid posting links to your soundcloud on shady sites. You might actually be getting genuine plays as well. It's really hard to tell. That's about the best advice I can give on the matter though. Sorry man.

Unfortunately that's not really a solution. I don't post my tracks and I've explicitly disabled app playback the second time around and had the same issue. Like R-MEX I get 50 fake plays on my tracks from these marketing douchebags. That can't be coincidence.