Solved

Followers count stuck / Not going up??!!

Userlevel 3
Hi,

I have been stuck on 16.4k followers for so long it's untrue. In my notifications i get hundreds of followers regularly, so how can it not be going up?!?!

Any reason why this is or help would be appreciated,

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Gina 17 February 2016, 11:28

Hello,

To clarify, the notification that is on the site right now:

is NOT related to the conversation going on here.

1. We started migrating a part of our infrastructure that holds Follower data from one server to another server. This is why Followers data activity was held during the database move.

2. This migration DOES NOT solve the issue of perceived loss of Followers or Follower count stuck conversations that have been ongoing on the forum for some time.

@LouieShowers, I hope you don't mind me picking on your profile. I had a look at your Followers and on the first page I saw a pattern that may not be so obvious at first glance but have a look for yourself:

https://soundcloud.com/user576033329
https://soundcloud.com/user983206842
https://soundcloud.com/petralongoria
https://soundcloud.com/jesus-flores-guitarrista
https://soundcloud.com/user339571621

Do you see that all of these followers have almost the same Stream, images, reposts etc. These are fake accounts. These eventually will get detected by our Trust and Safety team and when they do you will lose these followers and your count will decrease further. We do not notify you when this happens so at any moment you can just see a lower number than what you thought you had. This will appear especially puzzling if you have received new followers in the meantime and your count is still lower. This is precisely the confusion that many of our users have around Followers. Does this make sense?

You may ask yourself, why don't we just get rid of all of them? Spam accounts is a serious issue on many platforms. These accounts are created the same exact way you created your own account: with an email, an image etc. There is nothing that indicates the account is fake until activity progresses on the accounts. Normally, I would remove the above mentioned profiles once I spot them but I have not reported them yet for the sake of this thread, so that you can have a visual example of what we see and what causes this problem.

Also, chances are that the spammers behind these fake accounts may see this public post and start changing the images so that they again can evade detection.

There is not a single reason that makes sense on why we would do this on purpose or ignore the problem. That would be the same as Youtube taking away views, Facebook taking away your friends or McDonalds taking away the burger on your bun. It would only hurt our business.

Until we can come up with the technology to combat these fake accounts (imagine a robot vs robot all out war here) we are one step behind and deleting these accounts only after detection.

I sincerely hope you believe that I am not bullsh**ing you all and that I am explaining this clearly enough for everyone here to understand.

I'll check back on this thread a few times today so if you see this and have follow up questions about what I just explained than I'll try my best to answer.

-Gina

View original

69 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

You will receive notifications when people follow you, but not when users 'unfollow' you. This means in the same time that people follow you (which you're notified for), other followers may have un-followed you, which would lead your followers count not increasing by the amount that you were notified for.
People can un-follow for a few reasons:

• People choose to unfollow you.
  • People remove their accounts.
  • Batches of spam accounts which are in your followers have been removed from the platform.

Please note: Due to caching the actual numbers displayed on follows, won't re-adjust until an action is made on your account. An action could be uploading a track, following someone new, or making any edits to your profile.
Userlevel 3
This is absolute rubbish Gina, stop copying and pasting that answer each time please.

I have hundreds of people who follow me regularly, and i KNOW not many people unfollow me, so please don't say that.

Just admit that soundcloud has messed up. Again.
dude im having this issue to. shit pissing me off since i pay monthly for pro. soundcloud u need to fix this.
Userlevel 2
Same issue !
Userlevel 2
Can't you just admit soundcloud has a bug ?!
Userlevel 5
ME TOO! already created a separate post.. as a paid user, I now have disabled my auto renew subscription because I wonder, what exactly am I paying 55$ for? Soundcloud was amazing, can we please get it back to speed and I will gladly renew.
Userlevel 5
just happened right before my eyes!!!!!!! Again today. This is so infuriating. Please someone acknowledge us. Thanks. I would suspect I should have at least 20-25 more followers since I noticed this. huge bummer.
Userlevel 5
just lost another 5 followers in my count !! someone please confirm they are listening!
Userlevel 5
dude im having this issue to. shit pissing me off since i pay monthly for pro. soundcloud u need to fix this.
this is getting out of control..no answers from soundcloud to paying customers..my followers are actually dwindling away by the day.. I am 5 less since last night. there is a bug!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Same hear, follower count stuck. People are not unfollowing all notifications are saying follow back still so they are still there. Also I have literally been watching my SC because of this problem and unless some other person is unfollowing the second i get a notification I don't see how this is possible. I have forced refreshed edit profile date to try to get an refresh. It's just stuck, someone fix it please.
Can you respect us a little, Soundcloud staff?
I counted all of my followers, and my page displays that I have ~50 less than I actually do. 25% of my entire follower count.
Same here! Follower count stuck.
Userlevel 5
Looks like they are officially working on it without officially acknowledging it.. Either way, it said we can expect to have a frozen follower counter for the next week. Fine with me. I am happy to have this addressed! Thanks Soundcloud.

Soundcloud help forum Admin:

Maybe we should move every thread related to this follower issue into one jumbo thread and make an official post that this has been acknowledged and a fix is on the way.

Thanks,
Lou
Userlevel 1
Hi,

You will receive notifications when people follow you, but not when users 'unfollow' you. This means in the same time that people follow you (which you're notified for), other followers may have un-followed you, which would lead your followers count not increasing by the amount that you were notified for.
People can un-follow for a few reasons:

People choose to unfollow you.People remove their accounts. Batches of spam accounts which are in your followers have been removed from the platform.
Please note: Due to caching the actual numbers displayed on follows, won't re-adjust until an action is made on your account. An action could be uploading a track, following someone new, or making any edits to your profile.

Why are you doing this? For small labels/producers like us it's so unfair. My like count hasn't increased in months and I had a Top Ten UK Music Week Club Chart hit last year!! At least answer the question properly.
Same here with me, last week I got about 10 to 15 new followers and the follower-counter is still frozen, while when I follow someone back this following-counter is going up! Hope Soundcloud will check it as I guess many more people are facing the same problem/issue.

Kind regards.

Robert
mine is obviously a bug, that answer is incorrect. it says I'm following 55 people, and I'm not following anybody. my followers has been stuck on 332 when i know I've gained at least 100 new followers
ive been stuck on 9696 for 12 months, it wasnt til i saw this post that i figured that was not a crazy coincidence , i hate soundcloud so much
Same problem for me !!!
Userlevel 1
I found a contact address to write to last night. I'm not holding out much hope of a reply. As a paid member, I think it's pretty disgraceful, tbh.
Same pb!! Stuck at 993 whereas i'm sure i have mre than 1k!
Same problem! I know I've got more than 1k followers and I'm still stuck at 993. Soundcloud please do something!
im using hypeedit atm, first time. this is how i know its BS. my other account picked up 200 followers since friday. its monday now.
How hard is it to fix a problem like this damn
I was having that problem the last 3 days. I had notifications of people following me but my count wasn't going up. I logged out of my account and logged back in and it was fixed.