Question

I got likes and no plays recently on the same two songs. Why?

I trying to figure out why there is a like button available to be pressed before a bot, person or who ever even plays the song. Also what about human verification for likes because honestly I'm getting tired of trying to see who's a real person and i'm taking soundcloud not so seriously as i used to. Before it was "wow I just got a like on my song" and now "just another bot, back to making music to upload later". Same with followers and it really makes me antisocial on here that i just don't care to respond to anything and an artist is supposed to respond to fans and not a computer with a "cheap fan". Will this ever be implemented very soon or ever because if not the only thing i will be utilizing on soundcloud is uploading songs and nothing else to avoid socially responding to a machine when i could be making music. #NoMoreCheapFans

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge
i know its frustrating, no one likes it... but i can assure you that soundcloud IS working hard to keep bots and fake accounts to a minimum. its just very hard to try and put in limitations that will catch bots, yet still have all the functionality everyone wants. a lot more 'could' be done, but at the same time everyone would be pissed on how restricted everything is. bots and people that work at click farms, etc are getting harder and harder to detect and eliminate every day.

i will say though compared to other sites, soundcloud is really doing a fantastic job at this.
I don't think only being able to favorite if you played the song is that bad because you have to hear a song anyway before you decide that you like it. Like what if someone liked a song without hearing it and they love cats and the song is about throwing cats off a cliff. That really wouldn't make sense.
Userlevel 5
Badge
I don't think only being able to favorite if you played the song is that bad because you have to hear a song anyway before you decide that you like it. Like what if someone liked a song without hearing it and they love cats and the song is about throwing cats off a cliff. That really wouldn't make sense.
there are still plenty of cases where you may want to like a track, but havent listened to it specifically on soundcloud... for instance, if you follow an artist and you know you will already like the tune because you like all their work... or if you heard the track already, just not via soundcloud.

maybe a better solution would be to require human input to like or repost a track if you havent played it on soundcloud first. once you have listened to at least 3/4 of the track, then liking and reposting works as usual...
yea something like that at least
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Thanks for your input about this and for providing ideas how to improve how this works in the future. To add to it, I have forwarded the conversation to our Trust & Safety team to make sure the right people get to read it :-)

Cheers
Mathis
Hi there,

Thanks for your input about this and for providing ideas how to improve how this works in the future. To add to it, I have forwarded the conversation to our Trust & Safety team to make sure the right people get to read it :-)

Cheers
Mathis

Thank you 🙂
They might have it in their favourites to listen to later x3
Mmm. It's been a year now since this thread was opened. I posted 2 tracks yesterday. Got no plays. But I got 5 and 6 likes just about immediately after posting. I don't usually get real accounts listening to my music. I don't have many followers but most of my followers are "buy plays" accounts. But this is new. I've been getting a new follower every day for a couple days since I've been uploading. All fake accounts. It's worse than Instagram.
I don't understand how someone can like a song they have never listened to. When I first started posting my music on soundcloud a couple months ago, I would check constantly and get excited that people were enjoying what I had created. Soon enough though it became apparent that a number of these "likes" (perhaps all of them) were not genuine, as they had never even heard the music. This is very disheartening for me and I assume lots of other "bedroom" artists who appreciate some real validation of their work. Now that I've read some other comments in these help forums, I can see that this has been a problem for some time, and apparently not one of much importance to the developers. But isn't that what soundcloud is supposed to be all about? Or have I been mistakenly using the wrong service?
I don't understand how someone can like a song they have never listened to --- I can see that this has been a problem for some time, and apparently not one of much importance to the developers.

Spammers/bots/scammers/fake accounts/etc., are a problem for almost every publicly available platform/website; I do know they are eventually deleted—reporting and blocking said people definitely helps in the long run.

As a website, Soundcloud is globally ranked #98 (#109 depending on source)...so it's going to be a target.

Perhaps this will motivate you to write a song about bots. :$

Bogus-fake bots are just the tip of the iceberg as there are complex security concerns as well. Peruse this page to see what I mean ---> http://help.soundcloud.com/customer/portal/articles/2203632.

Here are some methodologies being used to defeat the enemy at hand:
https://github.com/soundcloud/normailize
https://github.com/soundcloud/sketchy-core

SC is actively seeking additional help in the form of a Backend Engineer, Anti-Abuse—know anyone interested? Send them this link ---> https://soundcloud.com/jobs/2016-11-21-backend-engineer-anti-abuse-berlin
:8

Have they read it yet?
One thing I've noticed about bots is about the other songs they play... for example, if they like one of your songs, they listen to all of your likes. Well, as many as can fit in the Related Tracks.. which makes the Related Tracks just a list of all of your liked songs, in order. Maybe Soundcloud could use this to their advantage. It might not work with songs with a lot of people playing them, but it was just an idea.