Question

I've just noticed a massive increase in plays on my page, which looks suspicious to me.. I cannot find anywhere else to report it

• 12 September 2015
  • 5 replies

Play frequency has rocketed overnight..365 plays in 24 hours is very unusual for me. Is there an issue here?

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi tindle,

Was this on a particular track of yours? Happy to look into this in further detail for you - can you send over a track where this seems to be the case please?

P.S.: Otherwise, you can always get in touch with our Trust & Safety team directly here.
Hiya Mathis,

Thank you for responding. I'm happy to send details, (see below), but I'd better just say I'm not so concerned, now, as when it started to happen. At that time, I suspected an error in the play stats 'counting mechanism', because the increase was so sudden and so sustained, but I've come to the conclusion, now, that the play stats are genuine, and have arisen due to a link being posted on a remote site, albeit, without any direct permission from me, to use or post a link, although, I am aware that my settings do allow sharing...

Details: 'That Old Straight Track' That Old Straight Track https://soundcloud.com/tindle

Hope that information is sufficient and helpful,

Kind regards,

George Bolam
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hiya Mathis,

Thank you for responding. I'm happy to send details, (see below), but I'd better just say I'm not so concerned, now, as when it started to happen. At that time, I suspected an error in the play stats 'counting mechanism', because the increase was so sudden and so sustained, but I've come to the conclusion, now, that the play stats are genuine, and have arisen due to a link being posted on a remote site, albeit, without any direct permission from me, to use or post a link, although, I am aware that my settings do allow sharing...

Details: 'That Old Straight Track' That Old Straight Track https://soundcloud.com/tindle

Kind regards,

George Bolam

Hi there George,

Thanks for getting back to me about this. I've looked into the details and most of your plays seem to be coming from our mobile SoundCloud app, so they should be legitimate. If you found your track was embedded on another website, then this would indeed explain why your track has received more attention then before. :-)

All the best to you,
Mathis
Hiya Mathis,

Kind regards,

George Bolam

Thank you Mathis,

I'm quite happy with that explanation, however, just this afternoon, (it's now 16-37 on the 16th September 2015), the total number of plays on my page dropped from 1268 to 1200, which is something that I can't account for. I'm afraid I don't know which songs these missing plays came from. I'm sorry to be a nuisance, but could you take a look at that for me?

Kind Regards,

George.
Hiya Mathis,

Kind regards,

George Bolam

Hi again, Mathis,

'the total number of plays on my page dropped from 1268 to 1200, which is something that I can't account for' .... Please ignore that request/query from above, as those plays have re-appeared! Whether that was my mistake, or the site's, I don't know. Anyway, thank you for your time and helpful, courteous replies!

All the best, George.