Question

"Likes" with no "plays"?

• 9 July 2017
  • 9 replies

I'm wondering how someone can like my song without even having played it?! Can anyone explain that please? I'll see a like for a song from someone, but there is no play registered for that song. That doesn't seem correct and it shouldn't be possible.

9 replies

Hi Maxmilian, this is not a reply but a comment. The same thing happened to me and I can't quite make sense of it. Hope you get an answer soon.
Hi again. Have you enabled offline listening for your songs? I have enabled it and wonder whether that could be the reason? It may not have recorded the plays if they were done offline??
Hello Nad1,

Thank you for your comment. It doesn't make sense, does it? It would make more sense that you would not be able to activate the like button until you listen to at least 1 minute of the song as a prerequisite. As is, the system allows corruption. As for me, I would like to know who REALLY likes the song. Up to now, I haven't heard anything back from Soundcloud and I'm not sure that I will be hearing from anyone there.
Well, if Soundcloud has parted with a number of its staff and the rumours that it will close are true it is unlikely that we will solve the mystery.
I think there's just people either using bots or just clicking a lot of likes in the hope their music will also be checked out. Bit senseless if you ask me...
Hello again,

I think I may the answer for this. Recently, someone who liked one of my songs also posted a comment on the track and downloaded it. It was clear that he did listen to it but there was no play recorded on that day. I think that may be because if someone likes your song while it is randomly streamed, it doesn't count as a play. It must count as a play only when someone plays it again after having come across it once. That's my guess anyway.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

A play is counted also if it is randomly played throughout a stream. Some users will like a bunch of tracks even without listening. They want to have a way to get back to these tracks easily at a later stage in order to listen to them then, and their likes page is just the place.

Hope this sheds some light on why it can sometimes be that a track has more likes than plays.

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: There is an unfortunate alternate explanation for some of these cases, and that's spam / fake behavior. 😕 More info about this here.
Hi again. Have you enabled offline listening for your songs? I have enabled it and wonder whether that could be the reason? It may not have recorded the plays if they were done offline??
I know this is from a year ago, but i founded now, in settings I uncheck the offline listening in the edit of the song and now is counting the plays!! I dont know if its was for the refresh settings or is making trouble the offline enabled
https://soundcloud.com/user-67665767/addict-to-vision-exxtra-lucide