Answered

Privacy and Stats: How do I not reveal my location?

I can't find anything in the Settings or anywhere that lets me turn this off. Maybe I missed it? Help please.

TLDR details:
I don't want to reveal my location when I am listening. It is a matter of safety for me. I can't believe it took me this long to realize it is not really anonymous when someone can look at their stats for a short period of time when only a few people listened and figure it out!

How small can a "city" be and still be listed as someone's location? Actually if you think about it, it doesn't matter how big the city is, you are probably at home, not at some random location in the city. It is people we have met face to face in the real world that, sadly, are often the ones we don't want knowing our location. If they know only a few people in this "city", it is probably you.
icon

Best answer by Todd Johns 28 May 2018, 19:38

It isn't something you can switch off in SoundCloud. It is going to be your IP address and, depending on your service provider you might have an IP address that is quite a distance from where you live. I've just checked mine and it gives a location 390 miles away! You can always use one of the many methods of hiding your IP address, such as the Tor browser.
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 4
It isn't something you can switch off in SoundCloud. It is going to be your IP address and, depending on your service provider you might have an IP address that is quite a distance from where you live. I've just checked mine and it gives a location 390 miles away! You can always use one of the many methods of hiding your IP address, such as the Tor browser.
Todd I very much appreciate your reply. I want SoundCloud to succeed and I realize that means providing analytics for them to stay afloat. It would be nice if I could turn it off, but I think you are right that we need to do it another way.