Question

All my tracks have suddenly disappeared, wth is going on?

• 7 September 2016
  • 7 replies

All my tracks (100+) have suddenly disappeared without any warning. It's impossible to find an email or phone number for someone to contact, so I am resorting to his medium to get an answer. If someone could get back with me very, very soon, as I need my tracks for work, I would highly appreciate it.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I've looked into this for you. Our records for this account (the one from which you're writing in on our help forum) doesn't have any uploaded tracks, nor tracks that have been deleted actually. Hence, it is very likely a mix up with another account of yours (that you might have accidentally created at some point.

Please continue here on our help center if you need assistance finding / accessing the correct account. You can also reach out to our Account Access Team via that help center section.

All the best to you, Joseph.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Sorry to hear about this. I've looked into this for you. Our records for this account (the one from which you're writing in on our help forum) doesn't have any uploaded tracks, nor tracks that have been deleted actually. Hence, it is very likely a mix up with another account of yours (that you might have accidentally created at some point.

Please continue here on our help center if you need assistance finding / accessing the correct account. You can also reach out to our Account Access Team via that help center section.

Cheers
Mathis

P.S.: Maybe this is the account in question? If so - all of your tracks are set to private, hence you'll only be able to see all of your tracks on your account when you're logged in.
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

Mathis, thanks for your response. I was logged in when I posted my message. I only have one SoundCloud account, so there is no possibility of me confusing accounts. My account was completely empty yesterday. Shared links to private tracks that had been posted elsewhere, with my permission, were suddenly not working. This evening, I logged out of my account, and logged back in. This time, all my tracks are there. However, the public links to my tracks are not working any more.

I have been a paying subscriber to SoundCloud for three years. It would be illogical to have maintained a paying account that, as you stated, "doesn't have any uploaded tracks, nor tracks that have been deleted actually". Something happened to my account, that caused all public links to private tracks to suddenly stop working. I am a university professor and have hundreds of students listen to these tracks, every week. The links were working fine as of Monday. By Tuesday, something happened that caused my account to malfunction.

I am very angry that this problem has occurred. I am even more angry that it took me 20 minutes to find an email or some kind of contact information that I could use to get help. I resorted to this forum out of desperation, because I cannot find any other way to contact SoundCloud. Why is it that I cannot find an email or a phone number to call? For the hundreds of dollars that I have spent on SoundCloud so far, I should have a way to get immediate help. This incident has been very disappointing and disorienting for me. This is not directed toward you, obviously, but I am just very disappointed by this experience and reconsidering my subscription.
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

Below is a message I received today from SoundCloud, which explains what happened. It offers an apology, but I have to say this is not enough. Please provide me with an email of a person that I can communicate with, so I can state my grievance and receive assurances that this will not happen again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for getting back. There are absolutely zero tracks uploaded to the account from which you're writing in.

This is the account from which you're writing in.

Are you referring to tracks that you have uploaded to your account?

Apart from that, the issue for which we sent out the email explanation and apology was of a different nature - tracks that had previously been private got exposed to the public accidentally. Thus, instead of tracks gone missing, you would have seen more tracks actually if this had been the root cause of your issue.

All the best
Mathis
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

Mathis,

Thanks for responding. When I click on the link you gave me above ("This is the account from you're writing in"), I don't see any tracks. But then when I click on "JFLectures" next to "Upload" on the top right, I see all of my tracks. I don't have to log out to see them. I repeat, I do not have two accounts, and never did. Nor do I have to usernames and two passwords.

Additionally, I repeat that my tracks actually disappeared for a few hours. This may or may not be news to your programmers, but it appears that, in addition to the tracks going private due to SoundCloud's error, they also disappeared for a while. The timing of what happened to my account is too weird and too coincidental to not be associated with the error described in the apology email that I received. The two things happened at the same time.

I will also repeat my request of a contact email or phone number that I can use to state my grievance. Putting aside the issue of the tracks temporary disappearing, having thousands of public shareable links stop working for hundreds of my tracks is a major inconvenience and is not something that can be brushed off with a simple 'sorry, we've learned from this mistake', especially given the fact that his is a paid service.

Thanks.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

Cheers
Mathis

Hi Joseph,

Sorry for the delay in responding. If you still want your case to be investigated in further depth, I'd recommend to reach out to our Trust & Safety team directly.

Thank you and all the best
Mathis