Answered

Can I use SoundCloud Premier monetization if I only do cover songs?

• 28 October 2018
  • 2 replies

Hello, I recently got a message that I am eligible to monetize my SoundCloud tracks and earn money from them, however I don't think that I should considering all my tracks are just covers of songs. I don't even think that it would be allowed for me to monetize them, eheh. Should I just continue ignoring that message and not monetize my tracks?
icon

Best answer by Navid 7 November 2018, 12:47

Hi @GabiChanAkatsuki,

In order to qualify for SoundCloud Premier you must be an independent creator of original music (at this time we cannot accept mixes or podcast content) and own 100% of your rights (publishing, master, distribution). You can read more on our creator guide under Monetizing tracks.

Cheers,
Navid
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Hi @GabiChanAkatsuki,

In order to qualify for SoundCloud Premier you must be an independent creator of original music (at this time we cannot accept mixes or podcast content) and own 100% of your rights (publishing, master, distribution). You can read more on our creator guide under Monetizing tracks.

Cheers,
Navid
That's verbatim of what is on the Premier page, and cover songs do not necessarily include mixing samples (which is most cases can't be licensed). When you get a license from the publisher to record a song that was not necessarily written by you, you can entitle that song to yourself. For example, "No Quarter" was written by Led Zeppelin and I am licensed to make my own interpretation of that song. So it is entitled "No Quarter by David HK." I can collect royalties while paying the publishers and writers their fair share. Many of these "Original" artists out there today use material that was written for them by songwriters and they are licensed to use that song and pay them royalties as well. That's what is meant by "Cover Song".
If that is not eligible for monetization, then why not just give a straight answer?

Q: Can I monetize cover songs"
A: No.

and if not, why?