Question

Have "[artist] just uploaded [track]" notification emails been discontinued?

For my job, I have been strongly relying on those automatic emails that tell me when an artist I'm following has uploaded a new track. Since the new year, those emails have been inconsistent, and I stopped receiving any since the end of February.

Now when I go to https://soundcloud.com/settings/notifications I don't even see an option to have these emails sent. Has this been discontinued? I see a similar question from one day ago, and the response (from Gina) was "We are currently looking into a bug where not all notifications are being sent through." But this seems like a discontinued feature if it's not an option in my settings. I will be very disappointed if this easy automatic feature has been removed. I don't want to be refreshing SoundCloud every two seconds. Thanks for your help.

30 replies

Oops, I do see "New post by followed user" in settings now. But in any case, this was checked and I haven't gotten a single notification since Feb 20.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi,

We know there are some issues with not all notifications are being sent, we are looking into it.

-Gina
i waited YEARS for a way to know when people i follow upload new songs, soundcloud made it impossible to keep track of people. recently i found out about this notification feature and i loved it, at longggg last you added this absolutely essential function of the site. and a few days later it disappears. this is unusual, and cruel.
The feature "New post by followed user" is now listed again, but I still didn _t receive any email-notifications although I _ve checked the box. Just like for the other users, "new track" notifications have been very few since start of 2016 and completely disappeared lately. It _s now impossible to keep track of new uploads by the musicians I follow and which I rely on (over 100 actually). Can you please make this feature work again? I can _t look at the 100 artists I am following if they _ve uploaded new tracks manually each day. Thanks.
Any news on this please? Still getting no notifications....
ditto!
Is it really so hard for Soundcloud to reply to their customers? The email notifications about newly uploaded tracks are still not coming, not a SINGLE one came through, but my followers have uploaded a total of 8 tracks today already! Please get this fixed! Thanks.
Is this a joke SC? You are not able to at least give an estimate on when this will work again after it has not been working at all (still didn _t get a SINGLE email) for WEEKS?
And still not working....
OK, got some informations from a SC internal source, they have stopped these emails completely since it takes to much BW on their mail-server and their IT-infrastructure is to small to handle all the load with those mail-outs. Spread the word... just to sad 😞
Thanks for the intel. So, after years of waiting for them to make it possible to follow people, it works beautifully for a few days and then they give up. Why not just return it to the way it was? I tab with new uploads, how is that so difficult? Sure would be nice if they chose to answer some of our concerns occasionally.
Yes, seems SC is in some serious trouble with their finances. It _s very poor to act like that, not even replying to this thread. Luckily there are alternatives nowadays....
This still doesn _t work, it _s such a shame for SC to be that unprofessional.
Same here. This is a very important feature for users. I can't believe they would eliminate this.
Userlevel 1
Is it really so hard for Soundcloud to reply to their customers? The email notifications about newly uploaded tracks are still not coming, not a SINGLE one came through, but my followers have uploaded a total of 8 tracks today already! Please get this fixed! Thanks.
Very poor customer service, I think
they twice now started emailing me new tracks from people i follow, and now nothing once again. this would all feel a lot less insulting if they ever had any sort of discussion with their users.
Userlevel 1
Completely agree with you! Good luck!
Same here. This is a very important feature for users. I can't believe they would eliminate this.
Is it not the entire point_ of SoundCloud? Hearing music from artists you follow?
It _s a fucking shame, this isn _t working for 6 months now! What kind of amateurs are these coders there? I had some SPORADIC notification emails back in September, but has stopped again since then. I receive all other emails from Soundcloud just fine, so it also has nothing to do with my email box (which I run on my own server). I hope they do finally sort that as I have been using Soundcloud fewer and fewer since then. That feature was the one that made Soundcloud useful to me as I can _t track each and every artists site to check for new tracks. Also the "Stream" page does not replace it, because it also shows ALL reposts from all artists that I follow, which is just a mess. GET THIS FINALLY SORTED SOUNDCLOUD!!!!!
I emailed SC direct. Got the reply from them below.

Apparently someone in the company decided to limit the notifications to one per day.

The SC Rep Explained that this was "started as a conscious choice for people not be spammed"

The other explanation I have read makes more sense: They don't want to pay for BW to create all the notifications.

This is Completely unacceptable. I have a Pro account, pay good money for this service as do many others.

These complaints are falling on deft ears.

Still trying to figure out how to mount a feedback campaign to have them restore the notifications to more than one per day.

Here is the reply From SC:

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out. To clarify things regarding email notifications:

You can manage what kind of email or push (mobile) notifications you would like to receive from SoundCloud, here: https://soundcloud.com/settings/notifications

From this page you can determine what kind of notifications, if any, you wish to receive either by email or as push notifications.

Regarding email notifications specifically, there is currently a set limit of sending one email per day. This means that even though you may choose to receive email notifications for all types of activity, you will be sent only one email per day. In the case where you have received both comments and followers, you will be notified about whichever activity happened first.

This started as a conscious choice for people not be spammed but as our community seems to be wanting more control over what they get notified about, we are currently working on ways to give users greater control over the quality and quantity of email notifications they can receive.

Unfortunately I cannot provide a timeframe as to when these changes will be in place, I can only thank you for your patience.

I hope this helped clarify, feel free to get back in touch if you have any other questions regarding notifications or any other matter, we will be happy to help.
It _s a fucking shame, this isn _t working for 6 months now! What kind of amateurs are these coders there? I had some SPORADIC notification emails back in September, but has stopped again since then. I receive all other emails from Soundcloud just fine, so it also has nothing to do with my email box (which I run on my own server). I hope they do finally sort that as I have been using Soundcloud fewer and fewer since then. That feature was the one that made Soundcloud useful to me as I can _t track each and every artists site to check for new tracks. Also the "Stream" page does not replace it, because it also shows ALL reposts from all artists that I follow, which is just a mess. GET THIS FINALLY SORTED SOUNDCLOUD!!!!!
Hey LoriV, Do you have the email from SC that your posted 6 months ago?

That would be great ammo to take back to SC.

It smells like cost cutting to me.

"OK, got some informations from a SC internal source, they have stopped these emails completely since it takes to much BW on their mail-server and their IT-infrastructure is to small to handle all the load with those mail-outs. Spread the word... just to sad :("
What a joke is that!? 1 email / day? Kills the whole purpose of these notifications. And SPAM? Common, why not make it setable then in the account settings and de-activate the feature by default for new clients? This makes absolutely no sense what they saying there. If I decide that this is "SPAM" for me, then I _d just disable the notifications in my account settings!

Apart from that, I did NOT EVEN GET ONE a day at all!

It _s rather that Soundcloud seems to have serious problems with their finances as I _ve heard and are likely to go out of business and hence do save wherever they can for the last months.
I agree... this is SC cutting services to customers. Nuts. I too and not even getting "One" notification a day.
UGHHHHHH. Spamming? Then start at 1, and let me choose more! They've had years to think about it, to now go back and forth like this is infuriating. It's been YEARS since I've been able to follow these artists properly, in all this time I barely catch any of their new tracks, and therefore don't purchase their music, because I'm not notified. With their feed system it makes it impossible to follow if you have more than a few dozen active people on your list.

Also, I used to be able to at least go through my followees and manually check to see what they've been up to. But recently I noticed that it only shows me a small portion of these, I can't even see most of them. It's like they're going out of their way to sabotage those fans that have potentially the most to gain from Soundcloud.
And if they can't handle the mailouts just from new tracks, imagine how we feel, having to deal with exponentially more "liked" tracks that are using up most of our own bandwidth, if we even attempt to keep up? They're only set up to handle casual users.