Question

SC is now owned by big labels, as a DJ it's been impossible to upload mixes without getting flagged. How can I get a refund?

• 3 March 2015
  • 9 replies

Soundcloud is now owned by major labels and as a DJ it's been impossible to upload mixes without getting flagged. Can I get a refund of my yearly membership renewal?

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Dj Claudio,

Thanks for visiting the Help Forum and I am sorry to hear you were unable to upload your mixes. The best way to avoid copyright infringement is to ensure that you don’t use anything created by anyone else or if you do use someone else's work, make sure you have the necessary permissions. I'm afraid that if we did not obey copyright laws then we wouldn't be around for long.

We hate to see you go but you may cancel your subscription by logging into your account and going here: https://soundcloud.com/settings/plan, where you will see either the "Stop Automatic Renewing"or the "End Your Pro Plan" option. If you're within the 30-day trial period, your refund will be processed automatically. You will see it in your account within 3 business days. If you canceled within this time and didn't receive a refund, please let us know.

Again, apologies for the frustration caused.

Best wishes,
Gina
It's my second year so I won't be refunded but it will be my last year with you guys. Is it true that now Universal label has green light to go thru Soundcloud themselves to pull mixes out of soundcloud themselves? My fear is that Soundcloud will become a trap for it's user for big labels to start filing copyrights lawsuits against Soundcloud users. You do have all our info so it would make a lot easier for them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
It's my second year so I won't be refunded but it will be my last year with you guys. Is it true that now Universal label has green light to go thru Soundcloud themselves to pull mixes out of soundcloud themselves? My fear is that Soundcloud will become a trap for it's user for big labels to start filing copyrights lawsuits against Soundcloud users. You do have all our info so it would make a lot easier for them.
Hi again,

Thank you for following up about this. If you really don't feel your getting what you've paid for, and since it seems it was only recently that you updated your subscription, I'd encourage you to write in to our payments team here. In the subject drop down menu, choose "Pro & Billing" and feel free to let them know we referred you from the forum.

Cheers
Mathis
hi just on this, im a simple backyard DJ who has put a couple of mixes onto SC, I got a notification that on a track i uploaded its copyrighted , however I dont even own that track that was identified! if I go through the dispute channel its starts getting all legal re: copyright. I only put the tracks up as a DJ mix like a hell of a lot of others - i dont ask for royalties - its supposed to be just fun but this appears a lot more serious. thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi RussRuss,

Thanks for getting in touch to ask for further clarification. Please take a look at this checklist. As you will read, uploading a track that does not belong to you, even if altered in a mix, is indeed copyright infringement. The dispute channel is for users who can provide proof that they're the creator or have permission to use the identified track. I can understand how it may come off "as all legal" but the purpose of the dispute is to determine whether or not you're breaking the law so there is little room to simplify the content because it needs to be precise.

Does that make sense? I am sorry if this wasn't clear to you when you signed up for SoundCloud. All the info you need to know can be found here, it's lengthy but if you are ever in doubt about what is ok to upload then please take the time to read it over.

Again, I appreciate you coming to the forum to find out more.

Best wishes,
Gina
Userlevel 1
So stop using that song or artist or label in your mixes, simple. With the amount of music out there, why would you even enjoy music that has lawyer-ed up?
Hi Dj Claudio,

Thanks for visiting the Help Forum and I am sorry to hear you were unable to upload your mixes. The best way to avoid copyright infringement is to ensure that you don’t use anything created by anyone else or if you do use someone else's work, make sure you have the necessary permissions. I'm afraid that if we did not obey copyright laws then we wouldn't be around for long.

We hate to see you go but you may cancel your subscription by logging into your account and going here: https://soundcloud.com/settings/plan, where you will see either the "Stop Automatic Renewing"or the "End Your Pro Plan" option. If you're within the 30-day trial period, your refund will be processed automatically. You will see it in your account within 3 business days. If you canceled within this time and didn't receive a refund, please let us know.

Best wishes,
Gina

i agree, I've been with sound cloud for a while.. its a fun thing to create connections and let people hear ur work. i had over 69 mixes on here, its slowly dwindling down.. I'm down to 58 mixes... guess its time to cancel... not paying to fight to keep a un-downloadable mix on here... I've slowly acquired lots of followers... average over 400 plays a day and am up to 162,000 plays in total. scary pushing the delete account button but guess its time to do that... time to move on
Userlevel 1
Hi Dj Claudio,

Best wishes,
Gina

Drama queen, you got you're own website and from what i can tell a professional, i couldn't stay on the site because it started blasting music over what i was already listening to. Anyways it's exactly you're type that ruin any social platform after a while using it to promote your own business. Do you think the men managers who's likeness is on your homepage won't be contacting you if you? Trust me, you don't want the hassle of dealing with copyright lawyers, they make too good a living spinning nothing into gold. I guess i just don't understand why a business would complain to another business about not being able to piggyback anymore, i found it amusing ;]'
I find this whole COPYRIGHT thing to be absolutely absurd! SOUNDCLOUD, go look at MIXCLOUD and follow their formula..I definitely don't make a living off of DJing so, when I got a notice that 1 of my Dj mies would be removed for COPYRIGHT infringement, I was pretty stunned..I was notified that I could dispute this issue but, I knew I used another artists music..That's obvious, it's a DJ MIX!! Most people use other artists music in a Dj mix, even if they produce..They still use a few other big name DJ/Producers tracks in a mix..Then, another notification that a mix was going to be removed..Awesome! At that point I figured all of my 7 mixes would be removed..How they didn't is beyond me..But, I got my 2 strikes and managed to stay on SoundCloud..I really was disapppointed at this because I grew with SoundCloud..I remember when this was a small underground community fofr DJ's and Producers..Even some indie bands..Then I started to see people like Papa Roach, Skrillex, and Diplo join..I can;t say I wasn't excited but, my point is that 've been here when SoundCloud was humble and smaller..Once you started to blow up, here comes the higher priced Pro account, and then the COPYRIGHT stuff, followed by the ever so annoying AD's! When is enough enough?? Do you guys not appreciate what got you to where you are? FANS? DJs?PRODUCERS? INDIE BANDS? My last complaint about the COPYRIGHT thing is this, couldn't you have at least let us get our mixes down before you erased them?? I was soooo lucky I found a flash drive with the mixes on it..It would be courteous to let each person have a 2-3 day period (where the mix is inactive to public) but, we can download it back to our computers..If we don;t do so by that time, by all means take it down on your own n trash it..Just suggestions..I think you guys should do what MixCloud does and use some of the money we pay for subscriptions and use it to pay royalties to the companies so we can continue to hear DJ mixes, Remixes, and enjoy the format to it's fullest..Oh well, I'll just use this site as a last back-up place and cancel my subscription..Your guys loss for not taking care of the only reason you've made it in the world wide web..The people using your site..There are others, many,many others..
Asher aka AceBreakz
acebreakz@gmail.com