Question

SoundCloud keeps following random people without my input. How do I stop that?

• 12 August 2015
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 1
I'm trying to keep my following list as short as possible but every time I check it, SoundCloud has had me follow even more people. Is there a way to stop this?

38 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hey Sam,

That is not expected behaviour. Can you give me links to the accounts that you are following that you did not intend to?

Thanks,
Gina
Have you resolved your problem yet?
This keeps happening to me too. Loads of really big PRO accounts that I absolutely do not like - mostly US and Canada.
Userlevel 1
Look SoundCloud people. You keep telling people that "that is not expected behaviour". And people keep posting "this is what's happening to me". That's called a bug.
Please fix it.

I am allegedly following people whose music I find repulsive. Nobody is logging into my account but me. Please fix this.

Please escalate it to whomever you escalate this stuff to.
Userlevel 1
Here SoundCloud let me help you. All I did was search "soundcloud get more followers hack" in Google. Took 3.5 seconds.

You should investigate those results.
same here i delete them and then they just come back....please remove this now or im deleting my account. this has become very frustrating.
Userlevel 1
Hey Sam,

That is not expected behaviour. Can you give me links to the accounts that you are following that you did not intend to?

Thanks,
Gina

Any updates on this? See below other users have this issue. I do. Super annoying.
This has been happening to me since I signed up last year. I keep removing them and random ones keep popping up. I like to curate my music and keep my follows to a minimum, so this is really annoying.

I also did a google search for "soundcloud get more followers hack" and came back with lots of results.

Tighten up your security, Soundcloud.
I'm in the same boat.. I'd carefully collected a selection of users and artists.. But now commercial radio profiles?!?
Please fix this, it's really annoying.
Hey Sam,

Thanks,
Gina

Bump.
Userlevel 1
One observation, the list of followers on the "following" page, says this:

Hear what the people you follow have posted:

So, Soundcloud seems to want to list under "following", items that have been posted by people that we follow.

I guess they want us to see other pages, posted by those we actually want to follow, in an attempt to get us to follow more people.
I guess that would be fine - they want to drive traffic and therefore suggest new music to us - but the problem is that, if that is their intent, they are not doing it quite right:
we automatically become a follower of the people/pages that are posted by the people/pages we wanted to follow at the outset - that's how users like the one above find themselves suddenly following stuff they never intended to follow

Soundcloud there are several problems with this:

1. It leads to exponential growth of who users follow, which makes our accounts hard to manage;

2. It leads to an overstatement of the number of "followers" any page has - b/c there is a category of users that are involuntary followers; and

3. It's sort of a fundamental principle of this sort of website that users get to control who they follow/connect to - so, this is just bad PR/user relations.
Soundcloud - Please respond?
Hey Sam,

Thanks,
Gina

Please please please. That is absolutely disgusting and completely illegal. Totally out of any ethic value of a a website with one purpose to disrespect whoever opens an account. That is totally unecessary. People do follow whatever they like there is no need to push disgusting content down our throat.
The number of following that I get everyday and that i need to keep on deleting is out of proportion. nearly impossible to delete them all because they appear automatically and much quicker then the time ii take to delete. It is kind of made to stay. That is so not right. Ive never seen such a thing in any social media. We get suggestions, notifications, anything but nothing is made without our permission on facebook or wherever else. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SORT THIS OUT. I PLEDGE! SOMEONE OUT THERE PLEASE. IF THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO KEEP LISTENING TO MY REAL FOLLOWINGS im not going to delete the account but is this is the only option I will measure no efforts to instead of deleting the bug followings to advertise everyday everywhere that this is what happens if you open an soundclound account.
Please I do expect a reply on this if anyone can help. Please. Thanks
seems like soundcloud doesnt want to fix this...
Where are you@Gina ?
same problem here. i am following users like https://soundcloud.com/edmjoy or https://soundcloud.com/electro-house-edmjoy which i NEVER agreed to. i dont want to have their posts on my stream!

please fix this, it's really annoying!
I have the same problem, it only started recently for me. Suddenly, my lovely curated stream was full of "EDM STARZ", "HIP HOP STARZ", "RAP STARZ" and other STARZ. Had to unfollow a number of times before it seemed to take effect. Now, my stream is absolutely spammed with "RAP Community". I have never seen any of these accounts before, and _never_ followed any of them to begin with.
These -community accounts have popped up in my stream as well; Hip-Hop Community, Repost Community. They won't disappear either.
They appear in my stream > I click on their profile > it says I'm following them > I unfollow > I go back and update my stream > they are still there > I click on their profile again and I'm still following them.

Please Soundcloud fix this security issue or whatever it is.
Got spammed with all the *STARZ accounts twice today out of the blue. Also trying desperately to unfollow RAP-UP with no success for at least a week. Jeepers, it wouldn't be so bad if the music wasnt so terrible on these accounts. PLEASE FIX THIS SOUNDCLOUD PIXIES.
Look SoundCloud people. You keep telling people that "that is not expected behaviour". And people keep posting "this is what's happening to me". That's called a bug.
Please fix it.

I am allegedly following people whose music I find repulsive. Nobody is logging into my account but me. Please fix this.

Please escalate it to whomever you escalate this stuff to.

So much this. In my case it's mainly profiles called "House Network", Hip Hop Network". Never followed them and they just repost absolute junk I hate.
I have the same problem. Two accounts/profile recently appeared within my stream and are flooding it with songs and reposts I DO NOT want. I am not even following them and didn't in the past.

Attempting to follow then unfollow doesn't resolve the problem. Blocking the guilty account either.

Not sure if this is related: My profile says I'm following 39 accounts, but the "following" page only lists 35. Same thing with my likes: 25 listed but home page says 30.
Dear Soundcloud,

I experience the same problem too for days now as furryx9 and others. The main culprits for me are
soundcloud.com/apollo-unplugged
soundcloud.com/edmstarzsquad

My stream is flooded by them though I do not follow them, when i click on their profiles the option to 'follow' is still active and though I blocked them there has been no improvement.

As mentioned by others too this is a major issue and unfortunately I have stopped using Soundcloud until this is resolved.

Thank you,

Ulalume
Likewise, I'm suddenly following a bunch of trap, hiphop, and rap accounts in which I have no interest. Like Ulaluma, EDM STARZ, APOLLO, and *STARZ seem to be the offenders.

Perhaps there was a hack of Soundcloud passwords by a company trying to help their clients (those artists) get followers? Or it's just a bug.

Either way, needs to be fixed.
OK, so originally when this happened to me i thought that a friend had added random bands...etc to follow on my SoundCloud account, thinking about it more the bands were nothing like what my friends would listen to - so i thought that SoundCloud had just added them as part of a promotion marketing thingy and just un-followed them all.

But then i log in again today and lo-and-behold they've all turned up again! But this time for some reason after un-following them they still appear in my Stream?! (Could be a patience thing on my part).

So i start to instantly think that my password was comprised by a bot because TBH it was pretty crap; its just a SoundCloud account. Thinking about it more, i would not put it past a company providing a system to people where they use bots to auto add certain artists into their follows for monies!

So i've changed my password now, just to make sure, but as no one from the 'SoundCloud' teams have really responded on here yet with a good answer, why is the thread considered 'Solved' at the top, where's the answer?!?
This problem is likely to be caused by the user (in this case, you) clicking on a dwonload link on a track. A lot of artist use this kind of application that allow user to download the track while they silently like and repost it, and make you follow their account, and the one of all their collectives.

Be careful, the main cause of the problem is probably your self.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there,

If you saw tracks by users who you weren't following on your Stream, you should now no longer see those. To make sure you haven't authorized any third party apps that might have caused this, please check your connection settings - connected apps on a computer web browser and revoke any app that you'd rather not have connected with your SoundCloud account.

Cheers
Mathis