Question

All music posted on soundcloud is now available to download free in MP3 formate from Youtunes.

• 18 June 2016
  • 3 replies

All music posted on soundcloud is now available to download free in MP3 formate from Youtunes.

mp3holic.xyz/mp3-download-the-mods-/

http://mp3holic.xyz/mp3-download-ak+ene/

It seem the only way around this is to pull all your music off soundcloud or only upload a small sample of your track?

What is a great forum to share your music has become a way of giving it away as free downloads.

So far soundcloud have not been able or willing to stop this happening, this is a copy of my last answer from them.

2. SoundCloud uses the most widely supported streaming protocol to ensure your sounds can be played everywhere, by everyone, across the web. When someone hits play on a track, the technology behind this streaming protocol is put into action to make sure your track can be played. By using a streaming technology which is widely supported, we can make sure that your content is playable on all devices, and browsers. Unfortunately, there are browser add ons that are exploiting vulnerabilities which are inherent in this streaming technology, which allows them to rip the stream.

This means that they are not downloading the original file you have uploaded with us, but in stead the streamed audio (which is 128 kbps). This is the downside to using a system which allows you to be heard by everyone, everywhere. We are researching alternative streaming technologies to understand how secure they are, how well supported they are, and whether they can reliably stream content. We hope the work being done in this area will allow us to provide the most reliable, widely supported and secure means of streaming content.

While we are doing all we can to improve this situation, there are a number of measures you may want to consider to prevent unauthorized downloads of your content. While we cannot guarantee that this will stop these sites from accessing your content without your permission, it will put you in the best position possible to prevent people from downloading content without your consent.

• If you have not done so already, disable downloads on your tracks. Like this: http://bit.ly/1nBVMyr
  • Disable app playback, so that your track will not be playable outside of the SoundCloudplatform and our own apps (i.e. the official SoundCloud iOS and Android apps). There's more information on how to do this here: http://bit.ly/1P2uHO5
We hope this helps to provide further clarification. More information on how to report sites or apps of that nature can be found here

I am considering closing my soundcloud pro account, I don't make music for money but this is madness.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Yes, I found at least 3 (edit now 6) sites that have my music as well. It seems that soundcloud is being scraped, which is a shame, as it totally devalues everything the musicians on soundcloud do. But unfortunately, there isn't an easy solution really. I only became aware of this tonight, and am discovering more and more of these sites. Stop one site and 3 days later another pops up again somewhere else. It would be very difficult to stop the streaming sniffers or scrapers, as hackers find ways around most restrictions. And pretty much every piece of music, movie, software, in fact most things that you pay for to download online has been pirated, so it is a global internet issue.

Update: I downloaded one of my own songs from one of these other sites, and it was an mp3 (I only upload 24bit wav files on Soundcloud), and had no tags (i.e metadata) on the track, which tells me that they are using the playback stream to grab it as a download, or some other way which is publicly available, i.e some sort of web interface. I have downloads disabled on soundcloud. I imagine they must be using a piece of software that can grab a large number of streams at once, given the sheer number of music tracks on these sorts of sites.
Thank for your reply, I received a completely different message from you via email?
Any way I figured out through the forum how to stop your music being available on other sites.

On your account go to tracks.

click edit tracks and from the drop down box select permissions.

blank out (un-click) all the permissions in the top.
Userlevel 1
Thank for your reply, I received a completely different message from you via email?
Any way I figured out through the forum how to stop your music being available on other sites.

On your account go to tracks.

click edit tracks and from the drop down box select permissions.

blank out (un-click) all the permissions in the top.

Hi, sorry - yes I had a different reply originally, and then I realised what I was saying was wrong, so I came back and changed it :-)

And thanks for your info, I will go and do what you suggested.

Cheers.