Answered

Artist cannot gain access to his "official" account.

• 11 April 2017
  • 6 replies

One of our artists, with significant profile, appears to have an "official" account, that have uploaded 30 second snippets of the new album, which isn't necessarily a problem but the artist wishes access to the account, so they may control & maintain their social media presence.

How do we go about getting control of the "official" account handed back over to the actual artist?

Kieran
icon

Best answer by s l i g h t 11 April 2017, 13:02

I've gave an answer to a similar query yesterday. I'm repeating it here with a little rewrite:

This extra account will have been set up by your distributor. They might give you access to them but they will be monetized tracks so they are going to want them somewhere on SoundCloud, even though it's fractions of cents they (and you) get because nobody really looks at these weird duplicate accounts with no pictures or profile info.
The alternative is they add them to the artist's proper profile which the artists usually don't want either.
It's annoying but if you can't edit the account or tracks in any way I think it is best to ignore it. It's a system that hasn't really been thought out properly and it's starting to become common knowledge that these extra accounts with "official" in the URL are not the artists' real accounts. Some people have ended up with 3 or 4 of these if different labels they release on use different distributors.

Last night's post:
https://soundcloudcommunity.com/account-access-copyright-trust-safety-229932/the-second-page-my-account-7357632
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Try reporting the account. That should give you an answer as to who SoundCloud have been told is managing the rights of these tracks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
If you report them you'll probably just be told they are managed by your distributor and you need to contact them. If the artists are happy for the tracks to be put in their proper account I'd ask your distributor to move them.
The other options might be that you agree with them that you will upload these tracks yourself, or that you don't want them on SoundCloud at all.

I think if anyone is searching for an artist here and they get two or three choices with the same name it will be obvious which the real profile is. For example:

Most of the 25 followers of the top account follow the proper one too.
We ARE the distributor, and the management want this changed, the artist runs his own social media - so we are literally scratching our heads - Who is doing this? And what if it becomes a problem, like putting tracks up for free download?

We can't really just let this slide and say "oh well". It's copyrighted material, and the account despite saying "official" is not! Surely we should have control over our own product!?
Thanks s l i g h t, I'll see what happens!

All the best
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
I've gave an answer to a similar query yesterday. I'm repeating it here with a little rewrite:

This extra account will have been set up by your distributor. They might give you access to them but they will be monetized tracks so they are going to want them somewhere on SoundCloud, even though it's fractions of cents they (and you) get because nobody really looks at these weird duplicate accounts with no pictures or profile info.
The alternative is they add them to the artist's proper profile which the artists usually don't want either.
It's annoying but if you can't edit the account or tracks in any way I think it is best to ignore it. It's a system that hasn't really been thought out properly and it's starting to become common knowledge that these extra accounts with "official" in the URL are not the artists' real accounts. Some people have ended up with 3 or 4 of these if different labels they release on use different distributors.

Last night's post:
https://soundcloudcommunity.com/account-access-copyright-trust-safety-229932/the-second-page-my-account-7357632
In this scenario we're watering down the artists reach. Having multiple accounts means we have the fan base split over extra accounts we don't have control of, giving a poor image, out of date profile images, lack of links, that kind of thing.

Would it help to report the account, or the songs?

K