Question

Blocked for following too many of my friends. How will I know when I'm no longer blocked?

• 19 December 2018
  • 2 replies

I created my SoundCloud account yesterday. I thought it might be a good idea to begin (after making my profile look how I wanted it to and uploading a few songs) by following my local music friends and favorite local artists. But before I could get finished with that, I started getting warning messages telling me that I was following too many people. (Considering that I was only following friends and favorite local and regional artists, it seems to me that your limits must be pretty low.) I eventually got a message telling me that I was blocked from following people for 1 day. So, I waited for 24 hours, and then tried to continue following my friends and favorite artists. (I have a list of around 70 more that I'd like to follow.) But, right away I got the message again saying that I was blocked for 1 day. How long will it be before I'm allowed to follow my friends again, and how will I know when I'm no longer blocked? (I'm afraid that when I try to follow someone to find out if I'm still blocked, my one day of being blocked may start over.)

Also, I think it might be a good idea to take a look at your limits. I don't think it's unreasonable for a new user to want to begin by following their friends and favorite artists.

2 replies

I tried following another favorite artist this morning and found that I was still blocked. This time it told me that I was blocked for 18 hours. I was apparently blocked for longer than the one day I was originally told I was blocked. I'm still wondering if each time I attempt to find out if I'm still blocked I'm causing myself to be blocked for even longer, and I'd still like an answer to the question: "How am I supposed to know when I'm no longer blocked?"

I've been a SoundCloud user for a couple of days now and so far I'm not very impressed. This site appears to encourage the type of networking that musicians and music fans normally do, but in practice they do just the opposite. When a new user engages in the perfectly normal practice of following their friends and favorite artists (so they will be notified when those artists post anything new), they are mistaken for a spammer and blocked from following anyone for a period of time. (I followed a little under 200 artists on my first day. I still have around 70-80 that I would like to follow. I don't think it's unusual for a musician or music fanatic to have that many friends and favorite artists.) Since you seem unable to distinguish between normal usage and spamming, I would conclude that your limits could use some adjustment. And, considering that you make no attempt to let anyone know what those limits are, I'm not sure how you expect anyone to comply with them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear your SoundCloud experience came with these obstacles right away. Our Trust & Safety team had to implement a number of measurements and policies due to certain features beeing abused for spammy or fake behavior. You can find more info about this here on our Help Center.

https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003568608-Feature-use-policies

From what I can see, you currently don't have any blocks, so you should be all set. 🙂