Question

Following restriction sucks

• 17 September 2015
  • 4 replies

The last couple of days, I been getting following restrictions, which has deactivated my ability to follow artist I liked. The first time is restricted to a couple 3hrs, so I waited, and then starting again, then it restricted it couple days, after i just follow a couple of people, then I wait. Then I started to follow people again today, and I followed like 3 people and it restricted me out to 6 days.

I understand if I started to following like a bunch people at once, but to restrict me after like 3 people!

This totally hurting my user experience using sc, it's not like I'm a bot spamming people. I'm actually following people I like.

I'm actually a paid sub on another account (deeveeis-spins) and after this, I'm totally rethinking about subscribing again.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Rewind,

You need to just space out your following action. Unfortunately going on a following spree flags out Spammer detection. We hate to put these limits out there because of bad apples in the community but if we don't then our users will be bombarded with spam and that't not cool either. Just space it out and you should be fine.

-Gina
I understand. But from now on how to I know how many people I can follow at one time and how much time in between.

because last time just followed 3 people at one time and I was flagged as violator? which doesn't make any since to me because I can easily follow 3-7 people at a time. I think you guys would need to look closer at my account to see what's going on, because I'm not spamming and restriction on me is not targeting a spammer but actual faithful user, PAID USER (this is just any account I use for my other music project).

Can you guys lift the restriction now or do I have to wait 6 days from now, to follow people again, and after that 6 days if I follow three people again, am I going to get restricted again and have to wait more days, which is quite ridiculous.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again,

Unfortunately, we won't be able to lift the restriction manually. You'll be all set in 2 days from now. However, I have looked into this for you again and would like to clarify why you ran into another block:

To clear up any confusion you did not hit a limit for following too many accounts, but instead for re-following the same accounts. Our Trust & Safety team has implemented a limit in response to the community's request to curb behavior where an account follows, unfollows and then re-follows the same account(s) again in a short period of time in order to unfairly boost their own followings.

Based on this feedback from our users, who said it was causing annoyance and confusion, we have put limits in place to restrict this behavior. Your account has been blocked from following and unfollowing for this reason. As we wish to prevent this activity in the future, if you run in to this limit repeatedly, each block you receive will increase in length.

These limits are in place to address community complaints about accounts overusing, or using features in a way other than as they were intended. We hope you can appreciate why we felt it necessary to put these limits in place.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 1
the big majority of social networks works completely fine without any following limit.