Sticky Question

I have a Copyright related question, who can I speak to?

• 15 January 2015
  • 71 replies

Userlevel 4
Hello Community,

We understand you might have questions related to copyrights. At this time, copyright queries are not handled on the Help Community.

We're explaining what copyright means and how it is handled on SoundCloud on our Help Center. If you need to speak to our Copyright Team, please reach out to them directly.

Thank you for your understanding and all the best to you.

Cheers,
Mathis

This topic has been closed for comments

71 replies

Alright so a rapper used my beat, without asking permission or giving credit. I then reported it and got it taken down.
We have since talked and settled, and I've given him permission to use it. When he reuploaded it, the automatic content protection system removed the track instantly.
My question is, what does he have to do to reupload it without it being taken down.
-Justis
In uploading a new song, I accidentally uploaded an already existing song but with the new song title. I removed it to start over. It says that my original song was removed due to copyright infringement. Wrong! I cannot upload the right song with its title. Now what can I do when there's no one to talk to?

Thanks,
Hi,

I'm a fairly new producer and having a hard time finishing my own tracks, I've been looking into remixing and bootlegs I was unaware of the copyright rules and policies. My internet isn't very good at times and I attempted to upload a bootleg or derivative work under Creative Commons liscense and it kept not finishing the upload and disappearing, in an excited rush I tried again and then one more time. I also made sure it was a private upload just in case, I later received 3 messages from SoundCloud about infringement I'm now aware of what I had done wrong. Does each upload count as a strike? Is my account going to get banned? Although I thought it was fair use and it was privately uploaded I really hope not! There are tons of bootlegs and remixes of the same track I had bootlegged how are they not being taken down for infringement? One last thing is there is obviously a way in which these people have uploaded these remixes legally how has it been achieved? Would a mechanical license cover my bootleg for non commercial use? No free download or anything just to be on my page legally and the original artist will be credited. Any help would be amazing as I'm scared about losing my account and would ideally like my bootleg available for people to listen to legally? There are loads of the same track on there definitely some official and lots of unofficial ones too..

Thanks in advance,

Ben
I had my account deleted because i did a remix to drake free smoke i lost all my views and my followers .. i changed the beat and everything i still got a false infringement.. how can i get my account and lost songs back???????? the original url is www.soundcloud.com/yung-hass
I have extended a part of the hidden track of the song "Glowed Up" by Kaytranada and I just want to share it for free. I posted it on Soundcloud but it keeps getting removed. I do not intend to receive any money nor do I want trouble from his label. I just want to share this edit because it was a good part of the song that I thought would be good if it were made longer. Is there anything I can do from my end?
Soundcloud apparently I dentified one of MY works as a cover work and an infringement on copyright. This was an original work that was recorded in my home studio. So I disputed this. I log on today to find that the dispute has been 'resolved' (rejected) by Soundcloud and there's nothing I can do to dispute this case further. All the options are greyed out. But I still don't have resolution!!! They obviously didn't take a listen, because it in no way even slightly resembles the track they accused me of copying. So now my track is gone and I have zero ways to reach someone at Soundcloud so I figured I'd jump on here and just let you all know not to upload your tracks to soundcloud anymore because their "copyright" team is VERY lazy, not to be bothered with listening to 10 seconds of a track to confirm their suspicions.
Hi, i've noticed a big problem with the report system from SoundCloud.
Apparently when someone reports a track (no matter whether there's proof of containing copyrighted content or not) it gets taken down.

There are several fake accounts reporting tracks from innocent artists, and a lot of them lost their accounts because of that

I really enquire a new and more accurate report system with fair proofs. We, the people who use this plataform and pay for the full use of it (PRO plans, etc), are slowly considering our staying in here, because no one can give us a certain solution, no one seems to mind in helping us with this BIG issue.

I'm looking forward for a response and opinions about this.

Cheers!
HEY THERE,

MY OWN ORIGINAL SONG WAS TAKEN DOWN AS I TRIED TO UPLOAD IT, SAYING 'IT CARRIES COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT' OF 'BOYBOY - AFRAID', HOWEVER BOYBOY IS ME AND AFRAID IS THE EXACT TRACK IM TRYING TO UPLAOD. CAN YOU PLEASE REINSTATE IT, OR ALLOW ME TO UPLOAD IT PROPERLY?

MUCH PEACE,

BOYBOY.
Hey guys, im planning on uploading a song that I originally put up on another public platform about 2 years ago to look for a vocalist. I ended up opting out of it wanting to see how i could make the tune better overall before I got a vocalist. Last week i noticed a popular song on here (i dont want to name names, and i have substantial proof as it is still on there) that shares the exact same hook i use in my song, uploaded about 5 months ago. I was wondering if I would be reported for copyright and have my song taken down or my account reported for this? I dont want to report anyone else for copyrighting me because theres no way to know if they actually did and on top of that its a good song regardless so i dont care.
But just to look out for myself I want to know if there would be any issues with my tune or who to get in contact with to make sure there is no issues?
Hello - I am trying to upload a song that I wrote, performed and released through my own TINY digital label. I need to get it up on my page as BBC 6 Music introducing would like to play it, but insist that it's on Soundcloud. It's been blocked and I have put in a case - but hear nothing. Any advice?
Im having the same problem. I recently posted a completely original track which was taken down. I lodged a dispute which was rejected with no explanation why. The track SC was comparing my track to sounds nothing alike and there is no way to ask for more information besides lodging another dispute.

Anyone have any advice as SC has not been very helpful.
Hey,
Who knows how long it would take soundcloud to review a track or how to contact them. Urgent please.
Hello,

I'd like to upload a DJ mix that I created. I have heard from other users that mixes are now safe to upload, and the rules have become more lenient. Being cautious, I decided to do a test upload anyways on another account. I received a notification saying the mix had been removed because of the track "Fatty Boom Boom" by Die Antwoord.

So is that it then? Am I not able to upload this mix to Soundcloud because of this track? It is important to note that I do not intend to make the mix available for download, which I know is some of the cause of problems with copyright. I just want people to be able to listen to this mix on Soundcloud.

Any help/ input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Hi !

I was wondering, am I allowed to post song that I haven't made like old vinyl find on Youtube ?
As an exemple, "Plastika - Disco dancin" is a fine 90's song I can find only on youtube, will I be in trouble if I download it and post the song on my soundcloud account ?

Thank you for your answer
If you are curious : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRH4wTg2W9Y&index=3&list=PLquHmqhxSuIYYKO23YNX1sHkxSJYM8hhE
Hi, So my DJ Mix just got taken down because Universal Music Group reported my mix for containing the song "New Slaves" by Kanye West. HOWEVER, The song that I used in my DJ mix was "New Slaves (DJ SNAKE REMIX)"... Does anyone know if i can dispute the charge because they flagged me for the technically the wrong song? or will they require me to show proof I have permission to use even the remixed one? Please advise.
my track was deleted when i arrived home tonight.
I checked your message that my song, '05. Ne' has infringed copyright terms.
but this song's original beat 'Wake up - Decap' https://soundcloud.com/decapmusic/wake-up was able to download it free.
plus, there was no additional copyright sign at Decap's 'Wake up'.
So i'm really disappointed and irritated why my track was deleted.
This song is very important for my career, so i want your immediate solution for this problem.

thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/dd247 my soundcloud url
https://soundcloud.com/dd247/ne-bettygirl my deleted track url
Making remixes and bass boosted songs is my work.
I upload them on sound cloud and the automatic content protection system doesn't let me upload anything.
The remix is mine, it's a different version.
Hard work of so many days doesn't pay off.
someone please help.
hello,

my hiphop track is removed from my soundcloud account... i also got a warning/strike but i paid for the beat and got a contract..
what can i do to get the track back and remove the strike??

greets jelle
Well i wan't to remove a copyright claim thats just about it
Simple question. Just want to know if i have to keep posting risky tracks on my secondary account

Thanks!
ok so i try to upload my remix of gorillaz saturnz barz on my soundcloud and it would keep getting down even when putting it on creative commons.I worked 3 months for this to just get it down after 5 seconds..how can we get more exposure if you keep getting our remixes down?
The worst thing is that i searched it up and found a bunch of remixes,bootlegs of the SAME SONG im trying to upload my remix for..3 months of work for nothing..
How is it bad for me to post my remix when others have their's without a problem for like 3 months?
Answer please because i'm getting really upset over this because you say you treat everyone as equal and you actually don't.
Good job deleting a 100 followers guy remix.
Recently my track titled "Benjis (prod. ThatBoySlim x zJakkies)" has been wrongfully removed from my soundcloud. This track I put a lot of work into and has brought my soundcloud a lot of traffic and actually had some of the best feedback. It's very frustrating having to deal with this and I have filed a dispute and it was rejected. I do not understand why when I have the rights to use the beat and when the track is mine, I am the artist who recorded it and I am an independent artist. I have reached out to the SoundCloud support twitter page and they sent me the link to a form to fill out which I have and have sent an email to the SoundCloud copyright support and still nothing. I cannot afford to wait any longer when I have music planning to drop that will also increase the amount of visitors on my page. I really need help getting this track back up please.

Yng Hstlr
Hi,

I've refrained from uploading my DJ mixes to SoundCloud now as it has been issuing me with copyright strikes and taking down the mixes I upload. I'm wondering if there is ANY way this can be avoided as I have noticed many other users uploading mixes with exactly the same songs in their mixes that I have used and they do not have their mixes taken down for copyright.

Is there some sort of 'approved DJs' list that I needed to formally be on behind the scenes or something lol? I have been told by a SoundCloud employee that there is an algorithm which automatically detects and removes mixes for copyright but the same SoundCloud employee even said that they do not know why some mixes are taken down and why others remain. I think it's really unfair and confusing! I'm seeking a proper answer...
If you file a dispute and show us that you have all rights necessary to post this track, we will reinstate your track, no problem.

In all other cases, we will need to treat this as copyright infringement and you will receive a “strike” against your account. If you receive three of these strikes, your SoundCloud account will be terminated in accordance with our Terms of Use: soundcloud.com/terms-of-use#repeat-infringers.

Copyright infringement is a serious matter, and we expect all SoundCloud users to respect other people’s copyright. To learn more about copyright, please visit our copyright information page: soundcloud.com/pages/copyright and see our Help Center articles: copyright.help.soundcloud.com/?b_id=10243.

Thank you,
The SoundCloud Copyright Team

This is the message I received. Is this a strike, or a warning? Please let me know. I need to know.
I tried to upload a track that I've made over the last week. Just a chill song i made with basic guitar and drums. As soon as i try to upload it, it took it down and said it was copied from "Maretimo Sessions - Edition Mykonos (Continuous Mix)". I listened to this entire mix and no part of my track even remotely sounds like it. I'm very mad, because i just wanna share my music with friends and people on Soundcloud. I use Soundcloud to publicize some stuff i make, i'm not signed with a record or anything. Any help?