Answered

Major label deals opens door for DJ mixes?

• 8 April 2016
  • 1 reply

Now that Soundcloud has signed deals with the major labels, and launched Soundcloud Go in the US, does this mean that DJ mixes are now acceptable on the platform?

When reading about Soundcloud Go in the press, most quotes have included mentions that "mashups" and "remixes" will appear alongside the original artists songs - does this mean that there is now some metric in place where an original artist will get paid if someone listens to an independent remix of their work?

I only ask as, after building up a number of followers by posting DJ mixes, I am currently on my last strike and can't risk getting another by uploading a mix that inadvertently contains a copyrighted track (being able to check this beforehand would be a nice feature as well).

Also, recently I have noticed quite a few mixes appearing that contain a whole bunch of tracks that I would have thought would of been subject to copyright claims, however these remain on the site and have not been automatically removed - even after a few months. Based on the above, have controls been relaxed a little?
icon

Best answer by Gina 8 April 2016, 13:29

Hi Matt,

Thanks for asking about this. To make things clear, our copyright policy remains the same. As far as getting paid for your mixes, you need to be a Premier Partner, sign up here for news on when we open up this up to more users.
Again, our plan is to eventually open our monetization operations up so that all artists can monetize their tracks. We’re actively working on this through expanding our On SoundCloud program’s Premier Partner level. We’ll launch with this additional functionality as soon as possible.

-Gina
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Matt,

Thanks for asking about this. To make things clear, our copyright policy remains the same. As far as getting paid for your mixes, you need to be a Premier Partner, sign up here for news on when we open up this up to more users.
Again, our plan is to eventually open our monetization operations up so that all artists can monetize their tracks. We’re actively working on this through expanding our On SoundCloud program’s Premier Partner level. We’ll launch with this additional functionality as soon as possible.

-Gina