Question

My Account is Constantly Auto-Following People I Don't Care About!

• 19 January 2016
  • 9 replies

I have a new account where I'm following a single user. Every day I log in, I find that I'm following other people—people I don't care anything about. I've unfollowed people over and over and new (and different) ones appear. I do not have any social networks connected to my account.

9 replies

This just started happening to me a few hours ago. I have no social media at all. No Facebook, Twitter, or even a Google +. But I just noticed I gained like four new followings from people I haven't even checked out on Soundcloud. I unfollowed them no problem, I'm just curious how this happened.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Michael and Philippe,

Please go to your connection settings and make sure there are no third party apps in your Connected Applications-section that may be adding these profiles.

Happy SoundClouding,
Gina
Hi Gina -- I have zero social networks or any other third-party apps connected.

Philippe's issue is not the same as mine. I understand that robots (or humans) can follow me. My issue is that my account is following others that I don't want to follow. In fact, if I remove all of the people I follow and then refresh the page, I get 8-10 new ones that I'm following. Something is broken.

Thanks,
Michael
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Philippe's issue is not the same as mine. I understand that robots (or humans) can follow me. My issue is that my account is following others that I don't want to follow. In fact, if I remove all of the people I follow and then refresh the page, I get 8-10 new ones that I'm following. Something is broken.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Michael,

Hmm, I currently see you have 8 followings (not to be confused with followers). I understand you stop following those 8 users, but soon after you'll have 8-10 new followings, without you clicking "follow" on any of them?

If so, do you mind if we look into your account in further detail and try and reproduce the issue from your account to investigate further? We won't need any credentials, only your permission.

Cheers
Mathis

Thanks,
Michael

You have my permission. And yes, you are correct: my account is randomly following others without my permission.

Thanks,
Michael
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks,
Michael

Hi again,

Ok perfect. So, I've now unfollowed all accounts - at first, there were 3 showing, I unfollowed, refreshed, 4 new followings. Very strange indeed! Once I had unfollowed these 4 as well, though, I wasn't getting any new followings for your account.

I'll observe this for the day and will get back to you later.

Cheers
Mathis

Thanks,
Michael

Hmm... I've done that a few times, but you having done it seems (so far) to have worked. Thanks for keeping an eye on it. Hopefully, it's fixed :)

- MT
Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Thanks,
Michael

Hey hey,
Ah, needed to get back to you. Sorry about the delay.

#fingerscrossed #oddbehavior. Looks stable so far though?

All the best
Mathis

Thanks,
Michael

Seems to be working fine now. Thanks for looking into it for me!

- Michael