Question

My song got reported and taken down and my dispute was rejected. Why?

• 13 December 2015
  • 3 replies

I did a remake of an Avicci song and posed it onto my Soundcloud. I worked over eight hours on the track and it sounded amazing so one of my friends suggested to upload it. In the first day, I got about a hundred views and people writing me messages about it and giving me feedback. The next day, I went on my Soundcload and found that it was gone. I thought that it must be a mistake so I reloaded the page a bunch of times but it still wasn't there. I read my message fro Soundcload and wrote a dispute. Two days later, when I check back into the subject, the dispute was rejected and I got a strike on my account. Like a lot of people on Soundcloud, I work very hard on my tracks and put a lot of time and effort into them. If my remake sounds so close to the original song that it gets me reported, it may seem like a good thing. But the world needs to see the talent that some people have and if Soundcloud is preventing this from happening, less and less people are going to use Soundcload. This is the main reason why it isnt thriving as it has in the past.

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Hi DKloud,

So when it comes to remixes, you need to have EXPLICIT permission to use any part of the track you are remixing. To do this, you would usually contact a representative of the artist you are remixing and ask for permission to use/sample the song. This is why the song was removed... Soundcloud is very strict on copyright infringement, and you should try not to take samples from any songs you did not write yourself or gain permission to use. If you did, however, receive permission to use the track, I suggest to send the original letter to Soundcloud and ask to appeal the strike. I apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered, but keep this in mind for future reference. I personally love a good remix, but it just cannot be done without the proper permissions.

And regarding this comment...

Like a lot of people on Soundcloud, I work very hard on my tracks and put a lot of time and effort into them. If my remake sounds so close to the original song that it gets me reported, it may seem like a good thing. But the world needs to see the talent that some people have and if Soundcloud is preventing this from happening, less and less people are going to use Soundcload
I can agree with this, in saying that people deserve to be heard! In fact, I am a music producer myself and often find myself putting in hours on end to get my song just right. However, this isn't an issue of Soundcloud fault. This is solely a copyright issue (a legal issue). Soundcloud cannot change or apply any copyrights an artist puts on a song, because the artist him/herself controls this. By placing a copyright on a song, that very song is legally bound to you and no one can take it from you. And, if anyone tries, you can do something about it and have it quickly and efficiently restored. Soundcloud cannot just allow people to infringe copyrights, because they would get in trouble. It is the responsibility of the remixer to inform themselves about potential copyright risks and create their remix responsibly and legally.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Just reply here, I'll see it.

Andrew (Alias AM)
Hi DKloud,

So when it comes to remixes, you need to have EXPLICIT permission to use any part of the track you are remixing. To do this, you would usually contact a representative of the artist you are remixing and ask for permission to use/sample the song. This is why the song was removed... Soundcloud is very strict on copyright infringement, and you should try not to take samples from any songs you did not write yourself or gain permission to use. If you did, however, receive permission to use the track, I suggest to send the original letter to Soundcloud and ask to appeal the strike. I apologize for any inconveniences you may have encountered, but keep this in mind for future reference. I personally love a good remix, but it just cannot be done without the proper permissions.

Like a lot of people on Soundcloud, I work very hard on my tracks and put a lot of time and effort into them. If my remake sounds so close to the original song that it gets me reported, it may seem like a good thing. But the world needs to see the talent that some people have and if Soundcloud is preventing this from happening, less and less people are going to use SoundcloadI can agree with this, in saying that people deserve to be heard! In fact, I am a music producer myself and often find myself putting in hours on end to get my song just right. However, this isn't an issue of Soundcloud fault. This is solely a copyright issue (a legal issue). Soundcloud cannot change or apply any copyrights an artist puts on a song, because the artist him/herself controls this. By placing a copyright on a song, that very song is legally bound to you and no one can take it from you. And, if anyone tries, you can do something about it and have it quickly and efficiently restored. Soundcloud cannot just allow people to infringe copyrights, because they would get in trouble. It is the responsibility of the remixer to inform themselves about potential copyright risks and create their remix responsibly and legally.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions. Just reply here, I'll see it.

Andrew (Alias AM)

Why can people make covers of songs them if they don't have permission then and they can have their stuff uploaded???
Userlevel 3
Hi DKloud,

Like a lot of people on Soundcloud, I work very hard on my tracks and put a lot of time and effort into them. If my remake sounds so close to the original song that it gets me reported, it may seem like a good thing. But the world needs to see the talent that some people have and if Soundcloud is preventing this from happening, less and less people are going to use SoundcloadI can agree with this, in saying that people deserve to be heard! In fact, I am a music producer myself and often find myself putting in hours on end to get my song just right. However, this isn't an issue of Soundcloud fault. This is solely a copyright issue (a legal issue). Soundcloud cannot change or apply any copyrights an artist puts on a song, because the artist him/herself controls this. By placing a copyright on a song, that very song is legally bound to you and no one can take it from you. And, if anyone tries, you can do something about it and have it quickly and efficiently restored. Soundcloud cannot just allow people to infringe copyrights, because they would get in trouble. It is the responsibility of the remixer to inform themselves about potential copyright risks and create their remix responsibly and legally.

Andrew (Alias AM)

Well there are a few reasons for that. One reason that only some might get taken down is because of the way the song detection system works. Sometimes the copyrighted song can't be easily detected, and therefore doesn't get removed. The second reason: not all copyrights are the same. Some creative commons copyrights allow for remixing and covering without having to go through the hassle of confronting one another to discuss permissions (consider it "open source" music). And lastly, maybe the artist just doesn't mind! If the copyrighted music isn't detected, and the artist just doesn't care when people remix or cover his/her song and doesn't file a claim, then it won't be removed.

I'm NOT, however, saying that you should just manipulate the song more to make it unmatchable. You still need to get proper permissions to use anyone elses' songs in any way or form.

Andrew (Alias AM)