Question

Not available in United States

• 28 December 2016
  • 13 replies

Hi guys!

I moved to the United States from Russia 2.5 months ago.
I have been actively using a free SC when I was in Russia.
So, I decided to go ahead and subscribe to SC GO after my move as I needed a sustainable source for the music and was very positivie about SC in general.
Now, when I am surfing SC GO un the States, I tend to often face some nice pieces of copyright.
For example, the latest album of The Naked and Famous (Simple Forms) is not available for me. The message is "Not available in United States". The same story is with Arcade Fire albums (Funeral, Neon Bible, etc).
So, the question is why all that keeps going? Are you planning to do something about it?
Do your competitors (Aplle Music, Spotify, Amazon) face the same problem?

Thank you,
Yarik

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Yarik,

Regional availability is controlled by the uploading artist or label. Our product teams are working to make as much music available on a global scale as possible, though, so rest assured that the catalogue will continue to grow :-)

All the best
Mathis
what if I'm from the states and so is the artist but the track still says unavailable in your country? for example I'm trying to download final destination by the underachievers but it wont work anymore and it deleted itself from my likes and when I search it now it wont show up
Hi there Yarik,

Regional availability is controlled by the uploading artist or label. Our product teams are working to make as much music available on a global scale as possible, though, so rest assured that the catalogue will continue to grow :-)

All the best
Mathis

Mathis, I am the uploading artist and label for my songs. One of them says "Not Available in the United States," which I did not intentionally select. How do I change this?
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
When you edit the track you should have a Monetization panel:

Make sure the top left Geoblocking button is not ticked. It should look like it does in the image.
Thank you, but my panel has only Basic Info, Metadata, and Permissions tabs. There is no "Monetization" tab.
They did the same crap to me. I uploaded an EP I recorded in '08 last night and it's not available in the US. Which is where I live. Where I recorded the audio. I don't know what SoundCloud's playing at but I don't like it.
having this same problem. everything was done in us. dont get it. HELP.
I just want to listen to BabyWipe by Ski Mask on SoundCloud.

I'm no master at copy rights but I don't know why you wouldn't make a song listenable in the United States... you're just losing streams, re-posts, and likes.
lol - leave it to soundcloud to stop responding to such a pressing issue. MFing unacceptable.
Hi there Yarik,

All the best
Mathis

Mathis wrote:
Hi there Yarik,
Regional availability is controlled by the uploading artist or label. Our product teams are working to make as much music available on a global scale as possible, though, so rest assured that the catalogue will continue to grow 🙂
All the best
Mathis
So a few days ago around 50% of the songs in my Likes have become unavailable in the u.s. I heard this is an option many artists are choosing because the soundcloud premium feature offline listening essentially allows users to download any track on soundcloud as a local file which they can then make copies of, burn to cds (if ppl still do that these days), etc. I don't have a premium account though just a regular old have to use wifi or my data when listening on mobile account. So why am I unable to listen to more and more music? It seems like a definitively shrinking catalogue. Is anything being done about this?
i am owner of the content and am getting the same thing.not available in the united states. i dont have a monetization panel and i need to get this up asap. we are trying to release this album..What the heck? ..really strange
"Regional availability is controlled by the uploading artist or label." is short of an answer. If it's complicated for the end user to understand, Soundcloud, should add more information on the process, intentions, and protocols surrounding peoples obscure and treasured songs. Other big labels have had the same issues with these laws. This is what turns users to circumventing legal ways to obtain music. The pay subscriptions of today are becoming less integrated in music and seemingly cornering media outlets to fit their financial agenda to most who take a skeptical approach. What keeps an artist from selling or dispensing his media in the land of the free? Is the labels these artist under really that in charge of our music and isn't that a concern regarding freedom in the arts? Also how can we get an "international token" to bring our music we've collected living abroad across the world? I paid for digital music through my first favorite "music subscriber" who eventually took half of my music library and disposed of it's access. Apple is the word. I've been burnt over and over. There's no trust between the listener and media control. More clarification and information from SoundCloud would really boost consumer confidence and set itself outside other subscription services who hide behind a veil of vague answers, non proactive consumer concerns, and small print that leaves you speechless and feeling violated.