Question

Request for Taiwan

• 1 November 2015
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 1
Dear Soundcloud:

I think there is a big wrong mistake on your site about nationality choosing!

Taiwan is not a province of China! Taiwan is an independent country! We have our own language, words, people's choice for president, and constitution! So that Taiwan is DEFINITELY NOT A PART OF CHINA!

Please remove the words "PROVINCE OF CHINA" behind "TAIWAN" or I will quit Soundcloud and ask all Taiwanese users to do so!

Thank you

Heng-Chia Chang

46 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Heng-Chia,

Thank you for taking the effort to get in touch with us here on the help forum. I've forwarded your query to the relevant product team on our end.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 1
Hi there Heng-Chia,

Thank you for taking the effort to get in touch with us here on the help forum. I've forwarded your query to the relevant product team on our end.

Cheers
Mathis

thank you for your kind response but one week passed, nothing changed. "PROVINCE OF CHINA" is still there.
I can give you some examples. Taiwan and China are 2 different country.

https://www.sigmaaldrich.com

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi again,
Thanks for following up on this, we appreciate it. I can understand that this is a frustrating situation for you.

I have spoken to our engineers to get some clarity on how we generate the list of country options on site and can let you know what I have found. It is a little complex, but I hope it helps to shed some light on how this list is generated at this time:

- We rely on querying a database (bit.ly/1oLEPu8) for generating the list of countries which we display on our settings pages for users.

- The above database pulls information directly from ICANN (bit.ly/1pP6tdM); an organisation which aims to promote the standardisation of naming conventions online. Specifically, ICANN coordinates the efforts of IANA (bit.ly/1l5CNKM); the group responsible for codifying data related to local time for locations all around the world.

- IANA relies on pulling local time information for countries which have attained an ISO 3166-1 (bit.ly/MrUnb8) code. Quoting from the ISO (bit.ly/1g0HuNO) directly; “The purpose of ISO 3166 is to define internationally recognised codes of letters and/or numbers that we can use when we refer to countries and subdivisions.” That being said, the ISO itself does not define the name of countries; they rely on data provided directly by the UN, which you can see here: bit.ly/1ruvFpb

In short, this means that we ultimately rely on data provided by the UN to define the list of options (and the “name”) for each country provided in our list of options on site.

While I can appreciate that this is not an ideal situation, I hope you can understand why we rely on internet standard protocols to provide this list of options for our users. I can certainly understand why you and other users may wish for us to change how we handle this information. I have therefore forwarded your request to our engineers to see if we can consider another option in the future e.g. a free form text box rather than a drop down list.

I hope that helps to answer your question. Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Cheers
Mathis
Userlevel 2
This is not a difficult problem to solve. The vast majority of drop-down menus on the net use "Taiwan" to refer to "Taiwan" without the unnecessary geopolitical bit tagged on the end. The only reason that the phrase "Taiwan, Province of China" exists is that China claims Taiwan's territory as its own. It would be a pity if SoundCloud got suckered into playing China's propaganda name game. Please leave out the politics and call Taiwan what everyone else calls it, which is simply "Taiwan". Thanks!
I was reading the stats of my channel and found out that my home country Taiwan is still listed as a Province of China.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share with you the fact that majority of Taiwanese recognizes Taiwan as an independent country. As the categorization may be useful to determine the mandarin speaking listeners, but may offend the people (not just Taiwanese) who believe that Taiwan is an independent, free country that is very different from China in many aspects such as culture and value. I think it is fair to say that to understand our listeners better, it is essential to be able to see stats from China and Taiwan displayed separately.

If needed, we can start a petition and go from there.

Thank you for your time.
This issue needs to be resolved immediately. It's not a light issue by any means. Perhaps you are not aware of the political discourse between these two nations? Stating that Taiwan is a providence of China is disrespectful at the very least. It's kind of like saying "India, a providence of Great Britain. I urge you to fix this problem ASAP. Thank you.
I just noticed my profile also says "Province of China", which is incorrect.

Taiwan is a country separate from China, and for SoundCloud to call the nation a "province of china" is to make a political statement and false label regarding Taiwan's sovereignty.

How can we fix this? Why is this thread marked as "solved"?
Hi there,

Any progress on this issue yet?
I am a Canadian living in Taiwan. I'd like to share my music with people here, but as a foreign national, I am hesitant to show my profile to Taiwanese friends in case they take the nationality issue the wrong way.
Userlevel 2
Matthias, thanks for looking into this. The explanation you provide doesn't really make sense because the UN list that you mentioned does not even list Taiwan. Go look for it on that webpage; it's not there! And yet you state that SoundCloud bases its list of country names on that UN list:
That being said, the ISO itself does not define the name of countries; they rely on data provided directly by the UN, which you can see here: bit.ly/1ruvFpb
In short, this means that we ultimately rely on data provided by the UN to define the list of options (and the “name”) for each country provided in our list of options on site.
So where are you getting "Taiwan, Province of China" from? How about simply not relying on the UN for your list of countries? How hard can it be to list Taiwan as Taiwan and be done with it?

"Taiwan, Province of China" only serves China, whose citizens are not even permitted to access SoundCloud, and insults Taiwanese. Please use some commonsense!
Userlevel 1
Taiwan is not listed in UN that doesn't mean Taiwan is a province of china! Is it logical? Vatican is also not a member of UN so Vatican is a province of china? I don't what you think about? Just remove the words" province of china" after Taiwan. It seems very difficult to you soundcloud! Or you guys are busy on your financial problem? Well I can considerate.
Userlevel 1
Hi again,
Thanks for following up on this, we appreciate it. I can understand that this is a frustrating situation for you.

I have spoken to our engineers to get some clarity on how we generate the list of country options on site and can let you know what I have found. It is a little complex, but I hope it helps to shed some light on how this list is generated at this time:

- We rely on querying a database (bit.ly/1oLEPu8) for generating the list of countries which we display on our settings pages for users.

- The above database pulls information directly from ICANN (bit.ly/1pP6tdM); an organisation which aims to promote the standardisation of naming conventions online. Specifically, ICANN coordinates the efforts of IANA (bit.ly/1l5CNKM); the group responsible for codifying data related to local time for locations all around the world.

- IANA relies on pulling local time information for countries which have attained an ISO 3166-1 (bit.ly/MrUnb8) code. Quoting from the ISO (bit.ly/1g0HuNO) directly; “The purpose of ISO 3166 is to define internationally recognised codes of letters and/or numbers that we can use when we refer to countries and subdivisions.” That being said, the ISO itself does not define the name of countries; they rely on data provided directly by the UN, which you can see here: bit.ly/1ruvFpb

While I can appreciate that this is not an ideal situation, I hope you can understand why we rely on internet standard protocols to provide this list of options for our users. I can certainly understand why you and other users may wish for us to change how we handle this information. I have therefore forwarded your request to our engineers to see if we can consider another option in the future e.g. a free form text box rather than a drop down list.

I hope that helps to answer your question. Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Cheers
Mathis

Hey Mathis, there is ISO 3361 which is about country codes like US, FR, UK etc... Code for Taiwan is TW which is not a problem in here. It's a standard and it cannot be changed.

However, UN does not define the names of countries. The countries and their people define their names. This is not about relying on "internet standard protocols" to provide the list, now please wake up.

It is a fact that this issue can be solved if you really appreciate it. If not else, make it possible to type your own input in the text box.
--
M
Hello,
I am permanent resident in Taiwan.
I am also very concerned by this problem.
I think SoundCloud should not ignore this problem.
Please consider again your position.
Something a bit upsetting is that this thread is marked as "Solved"...
hello

i am a girl from Taiwan
i care about the problem very much
plz do not ignore this

thanks

----

__

_________
______,__
yea this is not solved, some tracks i still couldnt listen, did your team really work effort on it ??
i like soundcloud, i do really , and i hope this can fix soon ....
The choosing option, "A province of China,Taiwan".

It is totally a MISTAKE.

The official name should be "Republic of China,Taiwan", and the mainland China is called "People's republic of China". Taiwan is a completely independent country, not part of any countries.

It is a sensitive issue for Taiwanese people, not just about some sound tracks limitation, it means a lot.
Please pay more attention on this.

I saw the the discussion has been few months ago, and the problem status is "SOLVED"?

Please work on this ASAP.

Still not resolved. Dont missunderstand me but how can SC make business in Taiwan but misspell its name? Its like listing that an US band is from the "British Empire"
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Request for Taiwan.

Hi,Soundcloud:
Here is a problem that our country :Taiwan, Republic of China, displayed as Taiwan, Province of China.
I understand that our names are similar, but we are totally different country, we have our own passport, I can show you how different we are.

it's Taiwan's passport.

So please, change the display of Taiwan's country of citizenship is really not that hard.
It seems take a long time (8 month) still not get any process on this,
please change it as soon as possible,or unfortunately me and my friend will choose to quit Soundcloud......

It is a really ridiculous problem.(Wrong nationality)

If you changed it,that will be very appreciate!

Thanks for understanding.
Hi Soundcloud Staff,

Really appreciate this amazing service. However I'm confused the problem about "Taiwan, Province of China" too. Nobody would be willing to see they are recognised as Chinese except Chinese themselves...Please, please change it. Thanks for millions!
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Request for Taiwan.

Hi,Soundcloud:
Here is a problem that our country :Taiwan, Republic of China, displayed as Taiwan, Province of China.I understand that our names are similar, but we are totally different country, we have our own passport, I can show you how different we are.

it's Taiwan's passport.

So please, change the display of Taiwan's country of citizenship is really not that hard.
It seems take a long time (8 month) still not get any process on this,
please change it as soon as possible,or unfortunately me and my friend will choose to quit Soundcloud......

It is a really ridiculous problem.(Wrong nationality)

If you changed it,that will be very appreciate!

Thanks for understanding.

Dear 2zs5... I am now a foreigner living in Taiwan, and I have been travelling around the world with a Taiwanese friend. Your passport says "Republic of China" .. Under that.. it says "Taiwan passport". I can say this had made confusion.

I guess that for a great majority of the people in the world ...this shows clearly it is a passport of China. Only Taiwanese and the Chinese citizens understand that "Republic of China" is totally different of "The PEOPLE's REPUBLIC of China" ... you see?

The customs all over the world, recognize the difference of Taiwan and China. My friend moved to Finland and we went to open a bank account. Guess what the officer asked after seeing the passport? "You do not have a Chinese visa?" ... My friend started crying out loud. She is Taiwanese, she does not need a visa to travel to Finland, or practically anywhere in the world, unlike the Chinese citizens.

So.. the lady at the bank understood the situation in a minute, and my friend's nationality is TAIWAN. Also ... she got residence permit in Finland. That official card is an official ID, official travel document to travel practically anywhere in Europe, and it says, "NATIONALITY: TAIWAN" .... ... TAIWAN.... TAIWAN.... NOT FUCKING CHINA.
Userlevel 1
I am completely f-cked up with SoundCloud and their attitude with the case.

So, I will reply this thread soon during the ongoing weekend to give a link to a new thread, where I will show some "evidence" that even a stupid administrator can not misunderstand.

So, I as I have said, I was a paying customer, as I still am. I have got enough of the shit and will terminate my monthly subscription of 9 € ... In my following post, I will ask anyone to terminate their subscriptions for SoundCloud for support.

Anything has been OK. Only this hugely annoying issue to correct a minor thing is unbelievably difficult for the staff. Sorry, to be straightforward. But I AM NOT A SATISFIED CUSTOMER OF YOURS, comprende?!

--
DJ Mikis Mau
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled TAIWAN IS NOT A PROVINCE OF CHINA! PLEASE CHANGE IMMEDIATELY!.

Why do you still ignore this error? Why don't you want to correct it?
China is "people's republic of china" and Taiwan is "Republic of China". Both are different!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Taiwan_ROC_Passport.jpg

Please check out our Taiwanese passport. Is there any word telling you "Taiwan is a province of china"???
So please remove the words" province of china"!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled TAIWAN IS NOT A PROVINCE OF CHINA! PLEASE CHANGE IMMEDIATELY!.

China is "people's republic of china" and Taiwan is "Republic of China". Both are different!

Please check out our Taiwanese passport. Is there any word telling you "Taiwan is a province of china"???

Hi there,

Sorry about the misunderstanding. We've forwarded your feedback to the relevant team on our end, and continue to do so.

Best
M
Userlevel 1

Dear Mathis. Do you mean that the feedback is now forwarded to the relevant team on your end?

Nothing has happened yet. You will continue to forward the feedback?
Whatever! Nothing will happen, dude 😃 And you know it yourself.

Unlike I promised, I didn't have time to start a new thread about the issue during the last weekend but I will do what I said I am going to do. And I am not going to pay a single buck for a subscription anymore, and I will ask others to leave with me, as well. Dammit.

So, hurry up, brother.

--
DJ Mikis Mau
Userlevel 1
Please revise the country options, thank you!
Please move your ass to change the god damn option in your drop down menu.
It just cost your team very short time to update the database.
We got 23000000 people here, show some respect.
Don't make SoundCloud a ignorant place.