Question

Request for Taiwan

• 1 November 2015
  • 46 replies

Userlevel 1
Dear Soundcloud:

I think there is a big wrong mistake on your site about nationality choosing!

Taiwan is not a province of China! Taiwan is an independent country! We have our own language, words, people's choice for president, and constitution! So that Taiwan is DEFINITELY NOT A PART OF CHINA!

Please remove the words "PROVINCE OF CHINA" behind "TAIWAN" or I will quit Soundcloud and ask all Taiwanese users to do so!

Thank you

Heng-Chia Chang

46 replies

Userlevel 2
This is not a difficult problem to solve. The vast majority of drop-down menus on the net use "Taiwan" to refer to "Taiwan" without the unnecessary geopolitical bit tagged on the end. The only reason that the phrase "Taiwan, Province of China" exists is that China claims Taiwan's territory as its own. It would be a pity if SoundCloud got suckered into playing China's propaganda name game. Please leave out the politics and call Taiwan what everyone else calls it, which is simply "Taiwan". Thanks!
Userlevel 1
Please revise the country options, thank you!
I was reading the stats of my channel and found out that my home country Taiwan is still listed as a Province of China.

I'd like to take this opportunity to share with you the fact that majority of Taiwanese recognizes Taiwan as an independent country. As the categorization may be useful to determine the mandarin speaking listeners, but may offend the people (not just Taiwanese) who believe that Taiwan is an independent, free country that is very different from China in many aspects such as culture and value. I think it is fair to say that to understand our listeners better, it is essential to be able to see stats from China and Taiwan displayed separately.

If needed, we can start a petition and go from there.

Thank you for your time.
Userlevel 1
Hi again,
Thanks for following up on this, we appreciate it. I can understand that this is a frustrating situation for you.

I have spoken to our engineers to get some clarity on how we generate the list of country options on site and can let you know what I have found. It is a little complex, but I hope it helps to shed some light on how this list is generated at this time:

- We rely on querying a database (bit.ly/1oLEPu8) for generating the list of countries which we display on our settings pages for users.

- The above database pulls information directly from ICANN (bit.ly/1pP6tdM); an organisation which aims to promote the standardisation of naming conventions online. Specifically, ICANN coordinates the efforts of IANA (bit.ly/1l5CNKM); the group responsible for codifying data related to local time for locations all around the world.

- IANA relies on pulling local time information for countries which have attained an ISO 3166-1 (bit.ly/MrUnb8) code. Quoting from the ISO (bit.ly/1g0HuNO) directly; “The purpose of ISO 3166 is to define internationally recognised codes of letters and/or numbers that we can use when we refer to countries and subdivisions.” That being said, the ISO itself does not define the name of countries; they rely on data provided directly by the UN, which you can see here: bit.ly/1ruvFpb

In short, this means that we ultimately rely on data provided by the UN to define the list of options (and the “name”) for each country provided in our list of options on site.

While I can appreciate that this is not an ideal situation, I hope you can understand why we rely on internet standard protocols to provide this list of options for our users. I can certainly understand why you and other users may wish for us to change how we handle this information. I have therefore forwarded your request to our engineers to see if we can consider another option in the future e.g. a free form text box rather than a drop down list.

I hope that helps to answer your question. Please let me know if there is anything else that we can help with.

Cheers
Mathis

Hey Mathis, there is ISO 3361 which is about country codes like US, FR, UK etc... Code for Taiwan is TW which is not a problem in here. It's a standard and it cannot be changed.

However, UN does not define the names of countries. The countries and their people define their names. This is not about relying on "internet standard protocols" to provide the list, now please wake up.

It is a fact that this issue can be solved if you really appreciate it. If not else, make it possible to type your own input in the text box.
--
M
Userlevel 2
This issue keeps coming up and SoundCloud doesn't seem to care that "Taiwan, Province of China" is insulting to Taiwanese people. And why have previous complaints about this been deleted from SoundCloud?

Taiwan should simply be listed as "Taiwan" in the dropdown menu of countries. This is not hard to fix. The vast majority of websites with menus of countries list Taiwan as just "Taiwan", and yet SC is somehow unable to do this despite repeated complaints from Taiwanese users.

"Taiwan, Province of China" is clearly a propaganda term used by China to assert its geopolitical claims. Not convinced? Then why is Hong Kong listed as only as "Hong Kong" and not "Hong Kong, China" or something similar? SoundCloud has many users from Taiwan, and people in China aren't even allowed to access SoundCloud, so it's hard to understand why SC is so determined to keep this ridiculous term.
This issue needs to be resolved immediately. It's not a light issue by any means. Perhaps you are not aware of the political discourse between these two nations? Stating that Taiwan is a providence of China is disrespectful at the very least. It's kind of like saying "India, a providence of Great Britain. I urge you to fix this problem ASAP. Thank you.
Hi there,

Any progress on this issue yet?
I am a Canadian living in Taiwan. I'd like to share my music with people here, but as a foreign national, I am hesitant to show my profile to Taiwanese friends in case they take the nationality issue the wrong way.
The choosing option, "A province of China,Taiwan".

It is totally a MISTAKE.

The official name should be "Republic of China,Taiwan", and the mainland China is called "People's republic of China". Taiwan is a completely independent country, not part of any countries.

It is a sensitive issue for Taiwanese people, not just about some sound tracks limitation, it means a lot.
Please pay more attention on this.

I saw the the discussion has been few months ago, and the problem status is "SOLVED"?

Please work on this ASAP.
It's both inaccurate and unnecessary. It's referring to a region only.
Why not change it to just "Taiwan"
Userlevel 1
This is disrespectful. Please change the location to Taiwan. Taiwan does not belong to China and definitely not a PROVINCE of China.
Userlevel 1
Taiwan does not belong to China and definitely not a PROVINCE of China. This is disrespectful. Please change the location to Taiwan.
Multiple tickets regarding this issue, all ignored. Found this thread and to see that the mods are just throwing up their hands and saying "oh we cant change it because we use some standardized UN protocol lol" is bullshit at this point. It's obvious if you wanted to solve the problem you could. You have competent website coders right?

If you want some inspiration on how to do correct naming to appease both Taiwan and the Chinese cry babies, you can look at their drop down menus.

I've been an avid Soundcloud user since 2011 or 12, and seeing that this is a GERMAN company it pains me to see you guys being such cowards regarding Chinese bullying.

I'll drop you guys the moment Youtube or Spotify make a better product.(not long)
Taiwan is definitely NOT a province of China. Music is the language we all share in the world and we want peace here. Please don't make it complicated and revise the country description. Thank you very much.
Hello,
I am permanent resident in Taiwan.
I am also very concerned by this problem.
I think SoundCloud should not ignore this problem.
Please consider again your position.
Something a bit upsetting is that this thread is marked as "Solved"...
Please move your ass to change the god damn option in your drop down menu.
It just cost your team very short time to update the database.
We got 23000000 people here, show some respect.
Don't make SoundCloud a ignorant place.
I saw it yesterday I was like freaking mad
It's not arguing about politics or smth
It's just WE ARE NOT AND EVER WILL BE A PROVINCE OF CHINA
please alter it soundcloud ASAP!
It's very disrespectful
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Request for Taiwan.

Hi,Soundcloud:
Here is a problem that our country :Taiwan, Republic of China, displayed as Taiwan, Province of China.
I understand that our names are similar, but we are totally different country, we have our own passport, I can show you how different we are.

it's Taiwan's passport.

So please, change the display of Taiwan's country of citizenship is really not that hard.
It seems take a long time (8 month) still not get any process on this,
please change it as soon as possible,or unfortunately me and my friend will choose to quit Soundcloud......

It is a really ridiculous problem.(Wrong nationality)

If you changed it,that will be very appreciate!

Thanks for understanding.
hello

i am a girl from Taiwan
i care about the problem very much
plz do not ignore this

thanks

----

__

_________
______,__
I AM AFFECTED BY THIS ISSUE, AND IT IS APPARENTLY NOT SOLVED!

And the most BS thing is that the country field is not optional and force user to pick one of them in the list.
PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!!

TAIWAN is TAIWAN!!! IT IS NOT A PROVINCE OF CHINA!
We have different passports, different currency, different national anthem and laws! JUST CHANGE THE FREAKING OPTION TO "TAIWAN", It's NOT that HARD!

If other websites can have the option of TAIWAN and TAIWAN only, why can't soundcloud do the same?

IT IS NOT EVEN DIFFICULT!!!!!

STOP giving us the robotic answer and DO SOMETHING!
Userlevel 1
Please change the location to Taiwan. Taiwan does not belong to China and definitely not a PROVINCE of China.
The options of nationalities provide "Taiwan, Province of China," the fact is, this ridiculous nationality made only because China's "One China Policy," furthermore, China even banned soundcloud's service domestically. I don't know why Soundcloud's management act like this. Very sad and angry with this issue, we're just Taiwan, never will be a part of China. Since you can provide only "Hong Kong", why not just "Taiwan?" Please don't be with the murderer of killing Nobel Peace Prize winner Liu Xiao-bo, dear soundcloud.
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled TAIWAN IS NOT A PROVINCE OF CHINA! PLEASE CHANGE IMMEDIATELY!.

Why do you still ignore this error? Why don't you want to correct it?
China is "people's republic of china" and Taiwan is "Republic of China". Both are different!
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/03/Taiwan_ROC_Passport.jpg

Please check out our Taiwanese passport. Is there any word telling you "Taiwan is a province of china"???
So please remove the words" province of china"!
Userlevel 1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Request for Taiwan.

Hi,Soundcloud:
Here is a problem that our country :Taiwan, Republic of China, displayed as Taiwan, Province of China.I understand that our names are similar, but we are totally different country, we have our own passport, I can show you how different we are.

it's Taiwan's passport.

So please, change the display of Taiwan's country of citizenship is really not that hard.
It seems take a long time (8 month) still not get any process on this,
please change it as soon as possible,or unfortunately me and my friend will choose to quit Soundcloud......

It is a really ridiculous problem.(Wrong nationality)

If you changed it,that will be very appreciate!

Thanks for understanding.

Dear 2zs5... I am now a foreigner living in Taiwan, and I have been travelling around the world with a Taiwanese friend. Your passport says "Republic of China" .. Under that.. it says "Taiwan passport". I can say this had made confusion.

I guess that for a great majority of the people in the world ...this shows clearly it is a passport of China. Only Taiwanese and the Chinese citizens understand that "Republic of China" is totally different of "The PEOPLE's REPUBLIC of China" ... you see?

The customs all over the world, recognize the difference of Taiwan and China. My friend moved to Finland and we went to open a bank account. Guess what the officer asked after seeing the passport? "You do not have a Chinese visa?" ... My friend started crying out loud. She is Taiwanese, she does not need a visa to travel to Finland, or practically anywhere in the world, unlike the Chinese citizens.

So.. the lady at the bank understood the situation in a minute, and my friend's nationality is TAIWAN. Also ... she got residence permit in Finland. That official card is an official ID, official travel document to travel practically anywhere in Europe, and it says, "NATIONALITY: TAIWAN" .... ... TAIWAN.... TAIWAN.... NOT FUCKING CHINA.
yea this is not solved, some tracks i still couldnt listen, did your team really work effort on it ??
i like soundcloud, i do really , and i hope this can fix soon ....