Question

SoundCloud is making me unfollow users by itself, then giving me warnings when I try to follow them back. WTF

• 3 January 2016
  • 8 replies

So I started to unfollow some people, spreading this over a period of few days, to make sure to not get any warnings for going too fast. Afterwards, I went and followed four artists. Everything was fine. I logged in about ten minutes later, and refreshed the page and everything, and everything was still looking good. I logged on again about half an hour later, and I see that I have zero following (people that I follow). I go and re-follow those 4 artists, and I get a warning telling me to slow down, and that I could be punished. What the frkn heck SoundCloud? Fix? Please? I do not want to get my account banned. This already happened before. I worked hard to get to where I am right now, and I will be very upset if I pay $100, and shortly get my account banned after buying SoundCloud pro unlimited.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Otekka,

You should never have to re follow accounts that you did not unfollow on purpose. If this happens again, we will need a screenshot of the empty follow metric sent to us.

-Gina
Hi Otekka,

You should never have to re follow accounts that you did not unfollow on purpose. If this happens again, we will need a screenshot of the empty follow metric sent to us.

-Gina

https://gyazo.com/343070451a952ba2587c1d96d829c584

https://gyazo.com/7ec3fa3c02187eb4065be0d7b7da1e3f

It has happened again. I had around 6 to 7 "following"
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Otekka,

-Gina

Hi again Otekka,

How quickly does this happen? Any chance someone else could have access to your account, maybe through another computer or so? Lastly, please check and see if you have any connected apps that might be interfering with this in your connection settings.

Can you start following an account, then let us know which account this was and observe if this account gets unfollowed soon after? We haven't heard of automatic unfollows from any other users so far, so your issue seems to be isolated.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers
Mathis
Hi Otekka,

-Gina

It is completely random. There is no one that could possible be logged into my soundcloud other than me. The problem has stopped for now. I followed some people yesterday and everything is the same today. Is it possible that the android app could be interfering with my activity on pc? I realized that sometimes what i see on the app, and what I see on the computer is not exactly in sync. For example, on my phone, it would say I have 500 followers but on the pc it says I have 650.

And one more question: If I get this warning again, will I be banned from SoundCloud? I have heard of the 3 strike rule, I think I might even have 1 strike already for copied content 😕 I did not read enough about copyright material back then.

And would this 3 strike rule change in any way if I bought SoundCloud pro?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Otekka,

-Gina

Hi again,

Hmm, we are experiencing syncing issues between web and mobile at the moment (and the issue seems to be much more complex then initially thought). Have you experienced that you started following a user on mobile, then went to web (i.e., your computer browser) and needed to follow the same user again?

Regarding your copyright question, please go through our Copyrights documentation on our help center here. If you don't find the answer to your question there, you will be able to reach out to the copyrights team through the help center.

All the best
Mathis
Hi Otekka,

-Gina

Yes. I have not been using the mobile app to follow users recently, but I remember in the past when I did use it, I did have to follow the user on my computer browser again. This did not happen very often though.

Edit : Just right now, I liked a song on the mobile app, and when I went on the computer browser, the song was not in my "likes" list.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi Otekka,

-Gina

Hi there,

Sorry about the late follow up on this. Please note that we're (unfortunately) still experiencing syncing issues between web and mobile.
I'm expirencing the same problem. When I go back to revisit an arist I have already followed. I click follow again. But it's strange because I can see those artists posts on my home page