Question

Soundcloud not returning e-mails about a mistakenly blocked spam account

• 8 November 2015
  • 7 replies

Hi

My account's liking re-post ability has been blocked multiple times without warning. I have contacted you 5 times now. All times have resulted in a canned "copyright warning" response that has nothing to do with my spam request. Each canned response threatens the deletion of my account and request that I "reply" to the e-mail in order to have a person handle my issue. I have replied about 10 times now across the following cases. (which have nothing to do with my issue)

Case #: 1677787
Case #: 1677803
Case #: 1673608
The fourth case was issued today. I haven't received your canned response yet.

What are you guys doing and why am I getting canned copyright cases instead of a person to discuss my issue. When will I receive an e-mailed response from you?

Why am I getting this response (below) instead of a human being to answer my NON COPYRIGHT issue?

Hi there,

Thanks for your email. Due to a high volume of incoming emails, we’ve created this automated response which should answer the questions you may have. We believe you are writing in because your account has been terminated or it is currently frozen as it is in the process of being terminated.

When a sound is taken down on grounds of copyright infringement, a user has up to 7 days to file a dispute and prove that they have been explicitly authorized to upload the sound to SoundCloud. When no dispute has been filed after 7 days or when a dispute is rejected, we consider the original takedown request as valid and the user gets a strike in their account. Our records show that this has happened more than twice in your case.

In line with our Terms of Use (http://soundcloud.com/terms-of-use#repeated_infringement), we must permanently terminate accounts that have reached more than 2 strikes. Our records show that you have collected more than 2 strikes over time, which will unfortunately lead to the termination of your account.

You will find more information about our copyright policy at the following link.
http://copyrights.help.soundcloud.com/customer/en/portal/topics/839129-soundcloud-s-copyright-policies/articles?b_id=10243##warningsandterminations

You can find out which tracks accrued strikes on your account by looking at your inbox for an email from no-reply@soundcloudmail.com. Browse the inbox of your registered email address and look for an email from SoundCloud with the following words “We’ve received a report from”. This email tells you which rightsholder has reported one of your track for copyright infringement.

*Important Notice*

If you created a derivative work such as a DJ mix, a remix or mashup, based on sounds that you have purchased, downloaded or found from other sources online - you would always need the explicit permission of all rightsholders to upload it to your account. Please also bear in mind that crediting the original artist and mentioning that the sound has been used for non-commercial purposes is not sufficient.

This fact has been clearly stated in our copyright help center:
http://copyrights.help.soundcloud.com/customer/en/portal/topics/839112-my-track-was-taken-down/articles?b_id=10243##tracktakendown

We understand it is a frustrating situation, but SoundCloud is following these rules as a responsible and copyright law compliant hosting platform. You did agree to our terms of use when signing up for a SoundCloud account, and since you violated them, we have no other option but to terminate your account, your sounds, your followers and your stats.

In order to avoid further infringement, you are prohibited from accessing or creating any other SoundCloud account. Also, please note that since you have violated our terms of use, you are not eligible for a refund in this case.

Thanks for your understanding,

SoundCloud Copyright Team
--
SoundCloud
For your reference this is Case #: 1677787

Please note: if this did not answer your question, or if you have any follow up questions, reply to this email thread. If you are a Pro or Pro Unlimited user, please sign into your account and send us an email via the contact form, to make sure that you are receiving priority support. [[a717d772ddc42ef9cc8e90c54d87bbbf0ba54dc7-565683428]]

7 replies

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled My post was misunderstood by Mathis please read again and reply.

[filter_by]=all&topic-reply-list[settings][page]=1#reply_16304610]https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/soundcloud-not-returning-e-mails-about-a-block...

That post has nothing to do with copyright Mathis.

It has to do with mistaken spam flagging. When I reported it I was sent a "We're busy right now" e-mail with copyright non-sense in it. I have replied to that e-mail several times and have not received a response from either Legal, Trust and Safety or Billing and Accounts. I sent in another request two days ago which appears to have been ignored. This has nothing to do with Copyright please review my post again.

Thanks you
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi HCD,

Sorry about the misunderstanding about this before. We typically look at the user account from which you're writing in to the help forum, and that account has no blocks for liking, or for what might be considered spammy behavior whatsoever, however a number of uploads on this account got blocked by our Content ID system, hence the confusion on my end.

Ok, so, I understand this is in regards to your account Happy Cat Disco (Mashups).

I do see that this account has repeatedly run into blocks due to re-likes. To clear up any confusion, you did not hit a limit for liking too many tracks, but instead for re-liking the same tracks too often. We have implemented a limit in response to the community's request to curb behavior where an account likes, unlikes and then re-likes the same track(s) or playlist(s) again in a short period of time.

Based on this feedback from our users, who said it was causing annoyance and confusion, we have put limits in place to restrict this behavior. Your account has been blocked from liking for this reason. As we wish to prevent this activity in the future, if you run in to this limit repeatedly, each block you receive will increase in length. These limits are in place to address community complaints about accounts overusing, or using features in a way other than as they were intended. We hope you can appreciate why we felt it necessary to put these limits in place.

Best regards,
Mathis

P.S.: The email you've received about Copyrights are indeed because copyright infringement was reported to us for tracks that were on your account. You can access an overview over your disputes here.
Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I understand and will no longer contact you regarding the likes. HOWEVER...

What you are saying about my account having copyright claims against it currently isn't possible. I haven't uploaded anything since my second strike and I was sent an e-mail confirmation by your copyright department showing my account as in good standing as long as I uploaded only my own material.(See Below)

I assume you're looking at the high level and very old stuff at a glance. Those claims were cleared by your copyright department and should not be popping up 7 months after a second strike notice according to your Terms of Use. https://www.soundcloudcommunity.com/soundcloud/topics/soundcloud-deleted-my-account-for-no-reason-re...

I'm guessing my account is in good standing because it remains active and those e-mails are in fact canned responses due to previous issues. But just in case, here is the info. I'll be back if there is a problem.

Mathis: P.S.: The email you've received about Copyrights are indeed because copyright infringement was reported to us for tracks that were on your account. You can access an overview over your disputeshere.

My e-mails regarding my account standing

My E-mail to you on April 3rd:
One more question please. Is there any possible way to have my account deleted at this point from any PREVIOUS copyright reports? Or am I safe there as well?

For your reference this is Case #: 1316776

Soundcloud Copyright Dept Reply on April 3rd:
You do have two strikes, so if you got a third for any reason, that is why you would be terminated.
In that way, the previous strikes would cause a termination, if that is what you were asking?
However, if no third strike is ever served, you should be good to go.
Hope that helps,
Annelise
--
For your reference this is Case #: 1316776"

My reply on April 3rd
Hi Annelise,
That partially answered my question thank you. I'm also wondering if cases 14641126, 14232990 or 14130479 could cause termination. These were issued over a week/month ago but did NOT cause strikes. I want to make sure that as long as I never upload to this account that nothing can will happen with those cases. I don't want to feel safe and sound then have my account randomly deleted from a soundcloud sin I committed a year ago. :)
Please let me know.
Thanks again for your help.
Your final Soundcloud Copyright Dept reply April 6th
The first two you listed are your two strikes: 14641126 and 14232990.
The other one is an automatic flag, so no strike there.
Hope that helps to clear up the confusion!
Best,
Annelise

--
For your reference this is Case #: 1316776
Hi there,

Thanks for your email. To help out as quickly as possible, our system has scanned the words in your email and sent this automated response. We believe you are writing in because your account has been terminated or it is currently frozen as it is in the process of being terminated.

Hopefully we can shed some light on why this happened.

When a sound is taken down on grounds of copyright infringement, a user has up to 7 days to file a dispute and prove that they have been explicitly authorized to upload the sound to SoundCloud. When no dispute has been filed after 7 days or when a dispute is rejected, we consider the original takedown request as valid and the user gets a strike in their account. Our records show that this has happened more than twice in your case.

In line with our Terms of Use (http://soundcloud.com/terms-of-use#repeated_infringement), we must permanently terminate accounts that have reached more than 2 strikes. Our records show that you have collected more than 2 strikes over time, which will unfortunately lead to the termination of your account.

You will find more information about our copyright policy at the following link.
http://copyrights.help.soundcloud.com/customer/en/portal/topics/839129-soundcloud-s-copyright-policies/articles?b_id=10243##warningsandterminations

You can find out which tracks accrued strikes on your account by looking at your inbox for an email from no-reply@soundcloudmail.com. Browse the inbox of your registered email address and look for an email from SoundCloud with the following words “We’ve received a report from”. This email tells you which rightsholder has reported one of your track for copyright infringement.

*Important Notice*

If you created a derivative work such as a DJ mix, a remix or mashup, based on sounds that you have purchased, downloaded or found from other sources online - you would always need the explicit permission of all rightsholders to upload it to your account. Please also bear in mind that crediting the original artist and mentioning that the sound has been used for non-commercial purposes is not sufficient.

This fact has been clearly stated in our copyright help center:
http://copyrights.help.soundcloud.com/customer/en/portal/topics/839112-my-track-was-taken-down/articles?b_id=10243##tracktakendown

We understand it is a frustrating situation, but SoundCloud is following these rules as a responsible and copyright law compliant hosting platform. You did agree to our terms of use when signing up for a SoundCloud account, and since you violated them, we have no other option but to terminate your account, your sounds, your followers and your stats.

In order to avoid further infringement, you are prohibited from accessing or creating any other SoundCloud account. As the account has been terminated, if you are a Pro or Pro Unlimited user, we will no longer charge you for this service but please note that since you have violated our terms of use, you are not eligible for a refund in this case.

Thanks for your understanding,

SoundCloud Copyright Team
--
SoundCloud
For your reference this is Case #: 2294063

My account was currently frozen right now for above scenrio
https://soundcloud.com/osama-shoaib-4
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there HCD,

Sorry about the misunderstanding with this. Copyright cases are currently being processed by our Copyrights team, which can be reached via email here. I see there are a few emails in the queue which the team hasn't been able to respond to just yet.

However, I also noticed that you haven't filed disputes for any of the tracks that were blocked by our copyrights system, which is what you will need to do in order to get falsely blocked tracks reinstated by our Copyrights team. When you believe the block happened in error, you can file a dispute for manual review. You can explain why you think the block happened in error and provide proof that you either own the copyrights yourself, or have explicit permission to publish the track on SoundCloud. This way the team can review your dispute and take it from there.

You will find the disputes for your account here.

More information on Copyrights can be found here.

All the best
Mathis
You misunderstood what I wrote Mathis. I was mistakenly reported as a spam account during liking. When I contacted you I was sent a "We're busy right now" e-mail that has nothing to do with spam.

I still have not received and e-mail response from any of the replies I have sent.

Regarding your copyright look up; We're talking about 2 different accounts. This is my forum account. The account reported can be found in the case numbers listed above.

Thanks for your help.

New Case: Case #: 1684653