Question

Spam Profiles with Dirty Content

I recently joined SoundCloud, and I have noticed quite a lot of spamming takes place here. It seems practically impossible to not get spammed after uploading something. Anyway, I have gotten a couple of random followers that have fairly inappropriate profiles and usernames that go by a certain formula. They also have some kind of chat line and a suggestive profile description, which worries me. I would like to know if this is a common thing, and if so what we can do to stop these kind of things from occurring on SoundCloud (both the suggestive profiles and spam in general).

If you don't have any idea what I mean, I will send a link to anyone that asks.

This topic has been closed for comments

10 replies

Also, I have blocked and reported any instances of this.

Edit: I looked at their profile page and then they were trying to ask people out by sending pictures of themselves to different SoundCloud users. That's strange.
Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Edit: I looked at their profile page and then they were trying to ask people out by sending pictures of themselves to different SoundCloud users. That's strange.

It sounds like you think these are real women making these profiles??? I expect the link in each one is the same and I doubt it's going to any photos. Has anyone bothered/dared to check?
I notice that they are usually following 600+ people but have around 10 followers. If you check those followers they will usually be a few more spam accounts ... so bots following bots ... (along with a few lonely guys who live in hope.)
I didn't know bots could make these kind of profiles. I knew they could make random spam profiles with no reposts or anything, but not with chatline links and suggestive pictures and profile descriptions. There are a couple of different links for pictures, or what I will assume are pictures because some of the comments say things like, "Watch me." There are a few different URLs, but I don't exactly want to see what they lead to. The URLs are bit.ly type URLs, so that could be a lot of things. You are right about the follower count though. Real people or not, it's still a bit disturbing and is still spam. They are probably bots, but they could be people because they have some kind of chatline link.

You can see a couple of the comments one of these accounts sent to people:

It's annoying because the only likes and follows I get are spam. I wish there was an easier way to get rid of spam bots besides reporting several a day.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi YYV,

Unfortunately, bots can do that 😕 Our Trust & Safety team is constantly looking into new ways to detect spam, and to prevent fake accounts from being created, but it is an ongoing struggle, and often, spam will come in waves.

Blocking & reporting these accounts is most helpful for the team to find patterns, and clear up any spam that's come through.

All the best to you, YYV
Mathis
Yes, SoundCloud please fix your spam problem... this has been the case on the site for a long time. The only messages I get are spam. It's 2017, go buy a spam filter.
Can we please get a report button on comments and notifications so that we can quickly report the spammy 'girl looking for love' comments which plague the site. When I'm at work or in public I'm not going to click on the profile who's picture is a huge girls arse or something like that just so that I can report them. A simple report button on comments and notifications (the dropdown ones in the top right on desktop) which both hid the offending article and reported it would be very welcome.
I recently joined SoundCloud, and I have noticed quite a lot of spamming takes place here. It seems practically impossible to not get spammed after uploading something. Anyway, I have gotten a couple of random followers that have fairly inappropriate profiles and usernames that go by a certain formula. They also have some kind of chat line and a suggestive profile description, which worries me. I would like to know if this is a common thing, and if so what we can do to stop these kind of things from occurring on SoundCloud (both the suggestive profiles and spam in general).

If you don't have any idea what I mean, I will send a link to anyone that asks.

Yea I've noticed it's really picked up as of late. Unfortunately these get passed to my email. Until there's some sort of resolution, Ill need to create a soundcloud only email for the spam.
Unfortunately, bots can do that 😕 Our Trust & Safety team is constantly looking into new ways to detect spam, and to prevent fake accounts from being created, but it is an ongoing struggle, and often, spam will come in waves.

You could have a system that blocks spam by profile picture (such as if they have the madnessdeals one I see so often).
Also, you guys could ban URL shorteners to be sent as links. They might act as a way to get paid by people clicking on that link.
I get the spam all the time. Sexual-relationship proposals. Soundcloud should do something with it. this is really annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hello everyone,

We can understand your frustration over this and our Trust & Safety team continues to work on new ways to fight and prevent spam.
Please see here on our Help Center for reference.

Thank you