Question

The 2000 follow limit and tools for managing who you follow

• 22 February 2017
  • 12 replies

I may be a unique kind of user, but as a music fan, DJ and promoter, I mainly use soundcloud to follow artists that I like or think I might like as they progress in the future. And I have a pretty broad interest in music.

I've been at the maximum number of followers on soundcloud - 2000 - for several years now, and it really hampers how I would like to use the application. If I find somebody I want to follow, I have to unfollow another account. The interface for unfollowing accounts is very lacking - you don't really have any information to go on, and there really isn't any effective way to filter for inactive accounts. I've contacted support a few times over the years, and they have always said that the limit was there to prevent spam, although I don't understand how that really could be the case.

I'd really love to see the limit raised - even if it required paying (I already pay for a pro account), or barring that, please add some tools that will help us unfollow accounts that we aren't getting any use out of following.

Thank you!

12 replies

Userlevel 1
Well Mathis,

Here's another user, just like Geoffrey. I have the same problem. I am a professional DJ, Producer, Owner of a DJ Academy and have my own radio show here in Holland. I am searching and connecting with new music and people every week. This limit is nuts!

I can get why there is a limit, because of all those spammers, hacked API's and fake profiles, but the paying customers like us, shouldn't be having such a low limit!

Again Soundcloud is dissapointing me (and not only me) and thinking again about leaving...

grt Boris
You 100% need to fix this Soundcloud, and fix it soon. I have exactly the same problem and deleting people is getting really annoying. If you're going to enforce this stupid limit on followers, at least give us a way to easily delete old ones. Not good enough for a service you're paying quite a bit for.
Userlevel 1
Hi there Geoffrey,

Thank you for your feedback around this. We don't plan to increase the maximum limit at this time unfortunately, but I'll be sure to forward your feedback to the relevant team.

Best
Mathis

AND....it is stupid that the app doesn’t tell me I’ve hit a limit (flickers between Following and then back to Not Following) and I have to then search thru all these postings to figure out the issue ! This is very poor User Designs by SoundCloud...you (SoundCloud) need to start listening to your Customers or you’ll continue to loss Customers and your business I.e. employment....
Userlevel 1
I've just received a warning by Souncloud, saying that I was following too many people in too short an amount of time. Looking into it, it seemed Soundcloud fears that I would start spamming people.

My intention is completely different.

My main goal here is to share sounds that a select audience appreciates. So I asked myself the question "how do I figure this out?"

I came up with this idea: follow accounts who repost some of the same songs that I like, and find out if there is any overlap. The easiest way to do that is to see if you encounter accounts you already follow, because they serve as nodes in a 'musical taste network'. It allowed me to build, in a short time, a spreadsheet of 30 people who shared more than one song that I liked. These accounts would then be more likely to share songs that everybody in the network would enjoy, was my reasoning.

Then the Soundcloud warning suddenly showed itself, which lead me to this help community.

I see two options: limiting my easy, consumer-friendly mapping efforts to the community limits of Soundcloud, or growing the network by manually mapping EVERY. SINGLE. REPOST.

In reality though, only the last one is an option for those who, like me, are serious about mapping parts of the musical landscape. It's the best guarantee to give an audience the music they truly enjoy. So it would be amazing if Souncloud could allow for this possibility to exist. You could save people a ton of time.
I totally feel you bro it suck I pay for the best plan and get 2000 follower limit !!!! oh well at least I know !!!!
Userlevel 1
I totally feel you bro it suck I pay for the best plan and get 2000 follower limit !!!! oh well at least I know !!!!

Hey man,

The circumstances forced me to see the usefulness of the giant spreadsheet. It actually allows for deeper network mapping than what Soundcloud can provide. For now it's all manual labour, though 😕
Userlevel 1
Hi there Geoffrey,

Thank you for your feedback around this. We don't plan to increase the maximum limit at this time unfortunately, but I'll be sure to forward your feedback to the relevant team.

Best
Mathis

Hi Mathis - If you want to stay relevant as a Music streaming service....figure out how to listen to your Customers and scale you systems and take the cap off Following !!!!
Userlevel 1
come on guys... remove that stupid limit
I'm in shock that this problem hasn't been solved yet. At least provide us with a way to easily manage the artists we follow. When you click on "Following" it brings you to a page with GIANT icons. It makes going through that nearly impossible. Maybe give us a list showing when we started following them or give us a way to group certain artists together.

My musical taste has changed over the years and it is a pain in the butt to unfollow people i don't think i'll listen to anymore. Mainly because those artists are wayyy at the bottom and would take me forever to scroll down and unfollow. It makes using this platform unbearable. This was once my primary place for music but you've made it extremely difficult to keep using.
Has there been no update to this? I hit the limit almost 5 years ago. I have to like an artist's song to keep them in my library. This limit is bonkers. Can you imagine what twitter would be like if you could only follow 2000 people??? FIX THIS.
Really surprises me that nobody else runs into this issue.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi there Geoffrey,

Best
Mathis