Timeline for giving access to API to new developers

I've got a project I'm working on which involves checking for new podcasts from specific users in order to share the podcast links elsewhere. I wanted to use the soundcloud API to do this, but I discovered I couldn't get access to the API key to do so. I'd prefer to not have to scrape entire webpages for the information I need, as that isn't as reliable a method. Is there a timeline for when new developers will be allowed, that we know of?

5 replies

I've been trying to get an answer and contact the developer team for over a month, but haven't gotten a single response. I even reached out to some of their developers directly.
So it sounds like the Soundcloud management has no desire to maintain nor develop their API. Guess I'll use web scraping.
Yes, but scraping seems so inefficient knowing there's an API that works for everyone who registered before July of this year. I can't believe their dev team blindly closed registration for good. A temporary close to monitor the network over a month to weed out people abusing their system is understandable, but I believe it's going on 3 months now with registration being closed.
> Yes, but scraping seems so inefficient knowing there's an API

If you're looking for a large amount of organized data then for sure. I'm looking to get literally 1 podcast at a time which can be done quite easily by scraping the page into a text file and grabbing what I need. Its frustrating for sure, but you do what you have to.
Yeah, unfortunately I'd like full access to all the artist & track data.